Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I've never experienced a sleeping pattern like this one. Biggest time difference I've ever done is +8 hours, which is most of SE Asia and even then only Japan was an issue with sleep, where it took me about 6 days to get into a decent pattern. When we stayed in Iniala (was either +7 or +8 hours at the time) it took 1 night in Singapore and I was fine. Since flying to Sydney (+9 and then +11 for Fiji) I've not slept past 4am a single night, even when going to bed at 1am.
I must have done at least a dozen trips to the South Pacific and the jet-lag thing never improves. Business Class doesn't make any difference either in my experience. Oh, it's even worse when you get back home.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
[QUOTE=Pausanias;27167918/] Oh, it's even worse when you get back home.[/QUOTE
Comparde to First😂 Without joking: It's never worse in my eyes
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on laucala site >
2.000-square-metre lagoon-style swimming pool
they have a lounge in their hangar at nadi airport?

re offerings for children >
luxurytravelmagazine.com/news-articles/laucala-island-presents-customizable-and-unique-childrens-itineraries-22593.php
traveltheworld.com.au/Resorts/Laucala-Island/Kids-Club.html
holidayswithkids.com.au/FSK/destinations/LaucalaParadiseFound

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 16, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
they have a lounge in their hangar at nadi airport?
Not yet, but they told me that they will be the first and only planned company to have one next year. The entire airport is very much like a construction site right now, as they are doing a major development on it.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Yes, I am from the U.S. That being the case, may I please have your input on the theory and practice of gratuities at Laucala. Thankee.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
Yes, I am from the U.S. That being the case, may I please have your input on the theory and practice of gratuities at Laucala. Thankee.
I don't know about Laucala, but I've been to Turtle Island a few times. They DO ask for a donation to the 'staff fund' as a gratuity. I've been there with Australians who were outraged at this request. Living in the US made it a little easier to understand.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've never experienced a sleeping pattern like this one. Biggest time difference I've ever done is +8 hours, which is most of SE Asia and even then only Japan was an issue with sleep, where it took me about 6 days to get into a decent pattern. When we stayed in Iniala (was either +7 or +8 hours at the time) it took 1 night in Singapore and I was fine. Since flying to Sydney (+9 and then +11 for Fiji) I've not slept past 4am a single night, even when going to bed at 1am.
I take a sleeping pill (15-30 mg temazepam) for any long-haul international flights. I also take a pill for the first 2-3 nights I'm in a new, distant time zone to acclimate faster. I do the same on any long-haul international flight home....and for at least the first 2-3 nights I'm home to help me readjust.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by KatW
We did not tip during our stay*. And from what I have seen, neither did other guests. This is not exactly the place where people are running around with money in their pockets .

We planned to tip anyway at check out and proactively asked Victoria (concierge/guest relations) how to proceed. Laucala does have a "gratuities fund" which serves all staf members. As far as I remember at check out nobody suggested to leave a tip. After having paid our bill (your nightly rate is already charged before check in IIRC) we left an enveloppe for the fund. I am not sure anymore about the exact amount, but it was roughly in the range between 50-100 USD/night. Afaik the staff is paid a normal wage and tips are a bonus.

*Correction: we did tip the private chef and waiter for the inroom BBQ night (private beach)!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It didn't feel claustrophobic at all, as there is quite a lot of space in there and lots of room to stretch your legs. My girlfriend actually needed cushions as she was too small to see everything properly. The average time is about 30-35 minutes and they told me that the longest they've done is an hour. The only downside to it is that it takes almost 30 minutes to get it ready each time, in which you're just stood about waiting for something to happen, prior to which you signed forms that probably sold your children's souls to Red Bull.

With the pool, I'll upload some photos on it, even though it is one of those "you must see it to believe it" structures. It looks like it's 5 or 6 different pools all merged together as it's just so vast, but you can tell it's clearly designed to be this way.
Not yet, but they told me that they will be the first and only planned company to have one next year. The entire airport is very much like a construction site right now, as they are doing a major development on it.
Thanks for the information .

Any idea when the lounge / new airport will be ready next year ?
The Saffire one is quite nice .

Wonder if occupancy is ever 100% or >80% & when ?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for the information .

The Saffire one is quite nice .

Take into consideration that owning family sometimes uses island for family and friends, so occupancy can get higher, not necessarily by bookings only.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
Take into consideration that owning family sometimes uses island for family and friends, so occupancy can get higher, not necessarily by bookings only.
Oh , yes , thanks . Forgot about that .

Perhaps do Huka Lodge & Dolphin Island instead .. & / or combine with here .

Wondering if anyone here has done this ?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:49 am

Fraid I didn't ask. I'd guess that very much depends when the airport finished on "Fijian time".

We were going to go for Christmas '15 but they were sold out and they're already sold out for Christmas period this year (26th > 2nd Jan, I think) and turning down bookings.

Last edited by MacMyDay; Sep 12, 2016 at 4:57 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
owning family sometimes uses island for family and friends, so occupancy can get higher, not necessarily by bookings only.
Christmas...sold out
can always ask re occupancy ("available rooms")
i have selected lower occupancy dates for stays

elsewhere, i've also seen (first hand) 'invited by owner'

nice that dolphin island added double occupancy rate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Thank you, Epicura.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:40 pm

Tipping in the South Pacific is absolutely not expected and is regarded as an insult in many Melanesian and Polynesian societies and that extends to Australia and NZ. Unfortunately in places such as Bora Bora the many mainly American tourists have had a corrupting influence at the hotels. I still won't tip anyone in the Pacific islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.