Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Member

more backyard
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Member

main plantation house bar

view from another bar
SanDiego1K, FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Member

Jim bubble bath in the hand-carved indoor tub
FlyerEC, Aventine and LinLant like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It looks very very nice!
KatW and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:39 am
Original Member

Miscellaneous points as I have been reviewing this thread.

A salient aspect of Laucala that has not been addressed here is that it is an ENTIRE island entirely yours. And, that island is Eden reincarnated. Beaches one after another, including the private beach in one's back yard. Tens of thousands of acres. Green grass lawns. Palms lined up to bend in the breeze. Lily ponds, tropical gardens, an orchid house, exquisite gardening and landscaping, golf cart rambles. Three restaurants, three bars, a meandering beach-front pool, golf cart for each villa. Every where is paradise including one's back yard.

As for the cost ... I've been thinking about this. And, worry I may qualify for idiot status. I am profligate when it comes to travel. Even so I may have outdone myself. I do not recall all the details but the cost for Laucala in 2016 was $5K per night (all inclusive, including the submarine, water skiing, jet skis, sailing, horses, guides, more). And $1200 per person round trip air transfer from Nadi.

I see above that MacMyDay cited $6K per night. Which seems high, right? Yet, and trust I am not bragging here -- the opposite in fact -- in the last 18 months I thrice have repaired to Las Ventanas al Paraiso (LVP) in Cabo for six- and five-night respites in a one-bedroom ocean-VIEW (as opposed to ocean-front and beach-front) signature villa. In low season, this runs around $4.6K per night PLUS 38% for tax, service, etc. So that is circa $6.5K nightly PLUS drinks and meals which add up but are tasty. Breakfast is included.

LVP gets away with these stratospheric prices because it is 2.5 hours by air from LA and 3 hours from San Francisco and Silicon Valley -- lots of high-value sorts willing to pony up for premium for short-flight tropical beach breaks.

So, $6K is beaucoup but it is not as beaucoup as it might seem.

And, I am reminded we don't often (or ever) talk of prices here.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 9, 2019 at 4:03 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:42 am

Very expensive, however the place is in the middle of no where. It is a smart way for the owner to underwrite his costs. He is still losing money on the deal. You are paying a very discounted price to stay there considering costs to run Laucala. The question is, do you have the money to go there and do you want to spend it on the experience? From all the reviews so far, it seems to be a magical place. I would rather save the money and go there, then go on many mediocre trips elsewhere.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by KatW
I see above that MacMyDay cited $6K per night. Which seems high, right? Yet, and trust I am not bragging here -- the opposite in fact -- in the last 18 months I thrice have repaired to Las Ventanas al Paraiso (LVP) in Cabo for six- and five-night respites in a one-bedroom ocean-VIEW (as opposed to ocean-front and beach-front) signature villa. In low season, this runs around $4.6K per night PLUS 38% for tax, service, etc. So that is circa $6.5K nightly PLUS drinks and meals which add up but are tasty. Breakfast is included.

LVP gets away with these stratospheric prices because it is 2.5 hours by air from LA and 3 hours from San Francisco and Silicon Valley -- lots of high-value sorts willing to pony up for premium for short-flight tropical beach breaks.

So, $6K is beaucoup but it is not as beaucoup as it might seem.
Prices have gone up since we first went there, and they are talking about it going up again, but I also agree that it is actually good value for money. When I went in '16, for 7 nights it was roughly the same price as North Island (as North has stay 7, pay 6), yet North increases its prices somewhere between 8-10% per annum, so now a night at North Island is suddenly ~$9k/n and 7 nights is $54k vs $42k for Laucala. I love both, but Laucala looks more and more like a bargain when you see what you can compare it too. Even more so, when their prices stay the same year round, so a night in the Maldives at Cheval Blanc or Velaa over Christmas can easily set up back $6k/n when all the compulsory charges kick in, whilst at Laucala it's the same price and still all-inclusive and with significant perks, such as the huge villa.
KatW, FlyerEC, BESVISOR and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW

Jim bubble bath in the hand-carved indoor tub
Looks like a lovely soak!
KatW and LinLant like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

laucala has a lots of various things, while north is lowest density (11 rooms + kids)

after experiencing top properties (laucala & north) even best luxury hotels are just...

quite a few of us here agree re value (preferences vary) vs just price
value can be infinitely better outside cities, especially most expensive
LinLant likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:35 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@MacMyDay How do you feel about it vs. The Brando in value? I'm still digesting my stay/thoughts on The Brando...Brando is cheaper but less inclusions.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Never mind.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:35 pm

Reviving this thread...

MacMyDay reported that Laucala will become a COMO. I was looking into finally making my way there mid-next year but the rates seem to not reflect any change (business as usual) and I doubt COMO will keep the property as all-inclusive as it has been, so I wouldn't want to pay current Laucala rates for potentially watered-down COMO ownership and amenities...

What would you say the game plan should be? Wait and see? I can't find any other info on this change in ownership so I'm guessing MacMyDay got some insider info.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by meehgz
Reviving this thread...

MacMyDay reported that Laucala will become a COMO. I was looking into finally making my way there mid-next year but the rates seem to not reflect any change (business as usual) and I doubt COMO will keep the property as all-inclusive as it has been, so I wouldn't want to pay current Laucala rates for potentially watered-down COMO ownership and amenities...

What would you say the game plan should be? Wait and see? I can't find any other info on this change in ownership so I'm guessing MacMyDay got some insider info.
COMO is taking over Laucala in January 2022, with full information coming mid-December. Unfortunately, it is definitely happening. I'd go with the wait and see approach, although I cannot see any good coming from this, other than perhaps a new website.
Mickidon, FlyerEC, illico and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.