Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Macmyday - Did you dodge the weather and ever get to Hawaii?
Sadly not. All the flights were cancelled so we had to come to Fiji directly.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Sadly not. All the flights were cancelled so we had to come to Fiji directly.
I think maybe Hurricane Lane saved you a lot of grief.

Your latest Laucala pics are so much more enticing than your first visit. It looks wonderful . . .
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think maybe Hurricane Lane saved you a lot of grief.

Your latest Laucala pics are so much more enticing than your first visit. It looks wonderful . . .
Why thank you. Coincidentally we're here at the exact same dates as 2 years ago, but the weather is acting as it's supposed to this time of year. As you know, the light makes all the difference

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:15 am

We booked our second visit to Laucala for 3 nights, just to see if the service had improved. It had not, but I still extended to stay 5 nights. I know that Laucala and North Island are amongst the most expensive properties in the world, but having tried both twice, I feel they are justifiably so. Reassuringly expensive, you might stay.

I had far too many moments of deja vu with the service at Laucala, often referencing where they went wrong last time and seeing it repeated this time. No serious failures, just a combination of death by a thousand cuts. It had definitely improved, but not to the point of praising any seismic shift from previously. The main surprise was how little anything had changed in the 2 years since my last visit, with the largest being a change of executive chef and therefore all menus. Properties 10x cheaper can deliver more refined service, so at times it played on my mind as I had a little grumble and then spoke to the GM at the end about it. Yet none of them can offer what Laucala can in terms of facilities and the supreme wow factor. Having recovered from their 2016 natural disasters, the beach was perfect and the setting easily amongst the most astonishing I've ever seen - think frequent changing colours of clear, blue ocean and a large marine life to add to the colour. But the real reason to visit Laucala is for what's on offer; nowhere else on the planet can you jump into a swimming pool with a 2,000m diameter then go horse riding right on the beach outside of your villa, decide to go for a swim with the horses, jump in a submarine (sans horse) and then go play on an empty 18 hole golf course whilst the instructors race after you to pour you more champagne.

Laucala does not exist to make money. Everyone can figure that out within 5 minutes of arrival, but they just seem to throw in more and more without even a moments hesitation - 24/7 nannies, dedicated activity guides and even weddings simply being part of the daily rate.

A new GM had only been in place for 3 weeks, but his background seems to suggest he will succeed. I cannot be too optimistic, as a lot of what he wants to implement his predecessor spoke to me about in 2016, but time will tell. I hope to see it next year, as we will likely pick Laucala for our honeymoon. Like everywhere else, it is not perfect, but it is an unbelievable joy to experience.

Unbelievable joy in action
obscure2k, FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Can you play golf with the horses? It's not made clear...
jjwMA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:14 am

I think your most luxurious problem is that you've been to all the best resorts! Will be quite hard to find something even better for your honeymoon
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Can you play golf with the horses? It's not made clear...
A missed opportunity to ask, although I am quite sure that "no" is not in the vocabulary at Laucala. Playing golf whilst on horses or against horses must just be a standard request.

Originally Posted by scented
I think your most luxurious problem is that you've been to all the best resorts! Will be quite hard to find something even better for your honeymoon
Likely just rinse and repeat now. There will definitely be some gems out there, but in terms of beach resorts I think Kokomo and Miavana openings have shown that it's really best to wait a few years after any (alleged) top-end resort opens to know if it's worth it or see it settle into something worth the spend. I imagine even North Island and Laucala launched to much fanfare but took a few years to find their feet. Still, just give me a few more months until I discover something shiny and I'll forget all this.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS maldives is first "hotel" with submarine by same company, costs $1680 per hour, company had announced plans to offer for fee at more resort hotels

Originally Posted by scented
you've been to all the best resorts!
there are just so few (and understandably so) of a certain type of property, that has little in common with a "hotel" no matter how good the latter is

personally, part of reason i did necker island last minute was the low occupancy, and it was incredible having the main area of the great house to myself, also could have had private villa as no villa rooms were occupied. last year they frequently added availability at last minute. when i was there, branson was not, may have been part of why. i remain curious re renting from home owners (only a few) on moskito island, as common areas were nice and value should be good.

for me, things like that have made hotels and cities appeal even less, no matter how good

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We booked our second visit to Laucala for 3 nights, just to see if the service had improved. It had not, but I still extended to stay 5 nights. I know that Laucala and North Island are amongst the most expensive properties in the world, but having tried both twice, I feel they are justifiably so. Reassuringly expensive, you might stay.

I had far too many moments of deja vu with the service at Laucala, often referencing where they went wrong last time and seeing it repeated this time. No serious failures, just a combination of death by a thousand cuts. It had definitely improved, but not to the point of praising any seismic shift from previously. The main surprise was how little anything had changed in the 2 years since my last visit, with the largest being a change of executive chef and therefore all menus. Properties 10x cheaper can deliver more refined service, so at times it played on my mind as I had a little grumble and then spoke to the GM at the end about it. Yet none of them can offer what Laucala can in terms of facilities and the supreme wow factor. Having recovered from their 2016 natural disasters, the beach was perfect and the setting easily amongst the most astonishing I've ever seen - think frequent changing colours of clear, blue ocean and a large marine life to add to the colour. But the real reason to visit Laucala is for what's on offer; nowhere else on the planet can you jump into a swimming pool with a 2,000m diameter then go horse riding right on the beach outside of your villa, decide to go for a swim with the horses, jump in a submarine (sans horse) and then go play on an empty 18 hole golf course whilst the instructors race after you to pour you more champagne.

Laucala does not exist to make money. Everyone can figure that out within 5 minutes of arrival, but they just seem to throw in more and more without even a moments hesitation - 24/7 nannies, dedicated activity guides and even weddings simply being part of the daily rate.

A new GM had only been in place for 3 weeks, but his background seems to suggest he will succeed. I cannot be too optimistic, as a lot of what he wants to implement his predecessor spoke to me about in 2016, but time will tell. I hope to see it next year, as we will likely pick Laucala for our honeymoon. Like everywhere else, it is not perfect, but it is an unbelievable joy to experience.
OK, my friend, so glad to see you both enjoyed yourselves again and managed to reach an island without an impending hurricane.

So here goes:

(1) Was the air con up to bhrubin standard this stay?
(2) Was there an airport waiting lounge as was expected a year or so from your first visit?
(3) Was there a butler for your villa this stay? If so, did that aid in service delivery?
(4) Was the food as good or better/worse this stay?
(5) Was the beach any better than your last stay?
(6) Were you dreaming about me again? I’d hoped engagement might preclude those fantasies.

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

(1) Was the air con up to bhrubin standard this stay?
(2) Was there an airport waiting lounge as was expected a year or so from your first visit?
(3) Was there a butler for your villa this stay? If so, did that aid in service delivery?
(4) Was the food as good or better/worse this stay?
(5) Was the beach any better than your last stay?
(6) Were you dreaming about me again? I’d hoped engagement might preclude those fantasies.
1). I am afraid not. They had actually just replaced the AC units in every single villa, but we had to get engineering to come in as it was making noises and the bedroom wouldn't cool down enough on one night even by our standards. Another family mentioned they had similar. In both cases it was fine thereafter, so hopefully teething issues.

2). We never actually got to use it - Kokomo dropped us back at Nadi right next to the Laucala plane, so we got out and walked 10 meters to Laucala's plane. However, I did ask to see the lounge on our departure and here's a pic:

Overall, not bad. Cheval Blanc and The Brando's are better, but neither of those have jets that will leave whenever you wish - at Laucala you will be waiting for only as long as you wish. They have 2 (soon to be 3) jets and will work to your schedule. This means coming from LAX you'll arrive before 6am and be in Laucala by 7am, then leave at 6pm on your final day to get the 9pm flight. Gives you 2 extra days - all free, naturally.

3). They had not implemented this, even though the last time the GM said they were going to. The current GM said they were going to as well. I really think this will make all the difference to delivering excellent service, but first they actually have to deliver it.

4). Better in some places, not as good in others. The chef had only been there 2 months, so a lot of things were changing and new staff were still due to arrive. It had the same inconsistency as last time, where you'd order something twice and get something different. They are implementing some rather novel ideas, like a frozen seafood truck that will go around offering free lobster to guests. Because why not. The quality of the produce is excellent, as 80% of it comes from the island.

5). 100%. Finally I could walk on it barefoot, which I then stuck to when playing golf too.

6). Always. Barely worth the time for either of us to ask or respond.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS maldives is first "hotel" with submarine by same company, costs $1680 per hour, company had announced plans to offer for fee at more resort hotels
I actually spoke to the GM about this and said that surely they can't let a Four Seasons top them. Laucala used to charge ~$1500 for the sub, yet when the owner found out he was furious as he wanted it to be free so every guest could enjoy it. Now let's hope FS makes him even angrier and we end up with some nuclear submarine available to take us for complimentary tours around the Pacific.
FlyerEC, nmuva98, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:46 am

It appears that half of Fiji now thinks I'm a dick because of my Kokomo Private Island review. Completely correct, so I'll accept it and move on, just after letting you good folks know I have finished full reviews for Laucala and Kokomo.
bhrubin and landing like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
It appears that half of Fiji now thinks I'm a dick because of my Kokomo Private Island review. Completely correct, so I'll accept it and move on, just after letting you good folks know I have finished full reviews for Laucala and Kokomo.
Beautiful as always. Thank you!
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:02 am

Still laughing! Wonderful stuff!
bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:33 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

well I think you’re the coolest person in the world myself. Heck you even gave me a tour of your bedroom once.

And I’ve certsinly angered some small minded mangers myself who insist their resorts are perfect
bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
You always make me moist, dick or not.

I very much appreciated and enjoyed your reviews. For that much money, they need to really deliver and be just as ready for the constructive criticism when anyone thinks they don’t. If they can’t learn from it and improve, then there’s no hope for them.
MacMyDay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.