Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

After the launch of R-C's latest marketing campaign - http://www.youtube.com/ritzcarlton - I wonder if luxury hotel marketing has finally lost sight of the realities of hotel keeping. Given that many high-end guests are savvy and worldly wise, I wonder why companies such as R-C create marketing that is clearly aimed at the more aspirational C2s of socio economics. What do you think? Does anyone do really great high-end hotel marketing out there?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I assume you are referring to the "skilled working class" when you say "C2" in the socio-economical model? If so, I´d definitely disagree with you. The C2 group more consists of people staying at Holiday Inns etc. and when asked to name a luxury hotel would answer with "Hilton" or something similar.

I´d say the ad targets the middle to upper middle class, but IMO the ad is much too long and thus ineffective.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I assume you are referring to the "skilled working class" when you say "C2" in the socio-economical model? If so, I´d definitely disagree with you. The C2 group more consists of people staying at Holiday Inns etc. and when asked to name a luxury hotel would answer with "Hilton" or something similar.

I´d say the ad targets the middle to upper middle class, but IMO the ad is much too long and thus ineffective.
You think this is aimed at ABC1s? Really?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:21 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

I think it's pretty common knowledge by those of us who 'know' that RC ceased being a true luxury brand (well, across 95% of their properties) for quite some time now. Perhaps this campaign is just acknowledging that and is going after people that they are most likely to attract anyway.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Somebody posted some really well done Four Seasons print ads in this forum a while ago.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:54 am
Original Poster

The only FS print ad I have seen that really hooked me was just before FS Florence opened - the one that shows the man renovating the ceiling of the Royal Suite. What I don't like about their ads is when they show lots of 'lifestyle' couples looking wooden, as with the early photography for FS Park Lane.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
many high-end guests are savvy and worldly wise...Does anyone do really great high-end hotel marketing out there?
this is a regular subject. i will be bumping sources thread.

"many" may be an overstatement. the regular here is extremely unusual. for example, they are better traveled than thousands of destination club members with net worths of $10-$15MM.

the economy killed the aspirational market.

demographics arent informative. i like these psychographics >
connoisseur
trendsetter
winner

poor mass communications can mainly be explained by faulty assumptions.

quality is rare in everything, especially as standards decrease.

but the bottom line is only increasing awareness matters.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
new york (although horribly misleading re scale of this suite)
http://magazine.elitetraveler.com/el...04/?pg=42&pm=1

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 2011 at 10:13 am
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:19 pm

What do you think? Does anyone do really great high-end hotel marketing out there?
I think many of these campaigns are setting their customers up for disappointment. For example, I recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton, the bartender was very nice but didn't offer to invent a cocktail and name it after me. I didn't see an opportunity for them to light off fireworks in my favorite colors. It's not limited to Ritz, I've seem similar for luxury cruises and other hotels.

The FS print ad campaign is still aspirational (large room, comfortable in a robe and slippers, kids playing quietly at the window) without overpromising. FS delivers a message with compelling imagry rather than specific promises. Individuals can picture themselves in that environment.

--Mark
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Both Ritz Carlton with their fake promises and Four Seasons with their absolutely cheesy imagery make lousy advertising in the style of the early 90s.

As a luxury traveller in the year 2011/2012, I am not appealed by it at all.

On the contrary: I am really ashamed when I see it whilst often staying in these hotels.

They should all fire their lousy oldschool advertising agencies and hire modern and innovative communication agencies instead.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:49 am

Here is Shangri-La's latest TV commercial from their "In Our Nature" campaign-

http://ournature.shangri-la.com/en/#/tvc/

And the making of the commercial-
http://ournature.shangri-la.com/en/#/makingof/

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 4, 2011 at 5:58 am
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
After the launch of R-C's latest marketing campaign - http://www.youtube.com/ritzcarlton - I wonder if luxury hotel marketing has finally lost sight of the realities of hotel keeping. Given that many high-end guests are savvy and worldly wise, I wonder why companies such as R-C create marketing that is clearly aimed at the more aspirational C2s of socio economics. What do you think? Does anyone do really great high-end hotel marketing out there?
Technically quite accomplished they seem to have removed everyone over the age of 40 from every shot
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Here is Shangri-La's latest TV commercial from their "In Our Nature" campaign-

http://ournature.shangri-la.com/en/#/tvc/

And the making of the commercial-
http://ournature.shangri-la.com/en/#/makingof/
This is a beautifully shot film - absolutely stunning - but has it anything to do with hotel keeping? I don't think so. Even if we look at Kage's psychographics that look at the attitude of the consumer rather than their position in society, there is little relevance here.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this is a regular subject. i will be bumping sources thread.

the economy killed the aspirational market.

demographics arent informative. i like these psychographics >
connoisseur
trendsetter
winner
You cannot kill off aspirations. Aspirations are dreams, and even when the economy is rock bottom, you can still have dreams, you can still aspire to something better.

I totally agree that demographics are old hat. Psychographics have always been more informative and accurate - the attitude of the guest rather than their economic status. Even so, I am not sure that connoisseur, trendsetter and winner quite encompass the market. How, for instance, would we equate those psychographics with Amanjunkies?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aspirational market

most here are connoisseurs, although there are some trendsetter elements (new, design/art, food)

the one thing about the new orient express short films is that the employees are apparently real

i recall 2 employee characters in ritz carlton's short films a few years, no idea if real employees

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 4, 2011 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Lightbulb

Let me guess...

Each hotel might have this ad running on a loop on one of their internal TV channels. During turn-down service, the TV will be tuned to this channel.

Or when the guest turns on the TV, this ad will start playing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.