Search

National impulses on the global luxury hotel industry

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 1:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
National impulses on the global luxury hotel industry

Coming back from this thread ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...express-4.html) criticising "cultural domination of one nation" in the luxury hotel industry, I would like to analyse the real driving forces, hopefully without prejudice and polemics.

Where did the driving forces in the luxury hotel industry come from?

A quest for some answers:

The British Empire had an early necessity for hotels abroad and - maybe influenced by a strong class system - set very high standards. Still visible today in Orient-Express Hotels, for example. I am not sure if Rocco Forte has really made an impact on the industry (yet).

The United States, post WWII, pioneered global expansion and recognition, with a focus on brand building in the 5 star segment like Intercontinental, Hilton, Sheraton, Radisson who would be rated here as a little bit under the luxury mark because of high standardization. The Four Seasons brand may be the only truly global luxury chain, again with a somewhat standardized product, coming from North America. I personally don't think Ritz-Carlton is consistent enough to be credited with real impact, much less so the "spin-off" Capella, but rather their brand collaboration with Bulgari. And maybe to some extent today's Hyatt. Ian Schrager pioneered a whole new segment with the first design hotels.

New Zealand has probably started the idea of the highest level nature lodges. Later taken over by Explora in Chile, among others.

From South Africa came innovations in themed luxury hotels like Sol Kerzner's One&Only, Sun City, Atlantis. Plus the luxury game lodge concepts that were recently also exported to India.

From India we are offered a unique luxury concept with some of Oberoi's -vilas hotels, combining the highest levels of hotellerie with unique historic surroundings. The refurbishing of old maharaja's palaces has also had an impact on the hotel industry by shaping a "luxury hotel destination country" more than any other.

Dubai is also a typical destination attracting through unique hotels like Burj-al-Arab, plus some other manmade modern mega-structures. There is also a typical undefined, plush, please-all luxury hotel style that has been coined as "Dubai-Style", not necessarily associated with Jumeirah Hotels.

Did the Maldives provide us with the first overwater bungalows? Or was it Bora Bora? Anyhow, the Maldives are a unique luxury product, maybe best packaged by Soneva.

The Germans and the Swiss have influence in the management and gastronomy of luxury hotels, however none of their brands like Kempinski (the oldest luxury chain in the world?) or Swissotel have really ever defined new luxury developments. Design Hotels is German too and has made an impression just below the luxury mark.

Scandinavia is too egalitarian to have developed real luxury hotels, be it at home or for export.

Spanish hotel export strength is usually in the 4 star segment of Sol Melia, AC and NH.

From France we have Sofitel, however the only industry-defining product may (to a small extent) be the luxury food & heritage hotel combination of Relais & Chateau.

The most important luxury hotel innovations, completely redefining the industry in the last two decades, came IMHO from South-East-Asia, in particular from Aman and later GHM.

Last edited by TrophyCollector; May 5, 2010 at 2:18 am Reason: Added Schrager & Explora
Old May 6, 2010, 10:42 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
From France we have Sofitel, however the only industry-defining product may (to a small extent) be the luxury food & heritage hotel combination of Relais & Chateau.

The most important luxury hotel innovations, completely redefining the industry in the last two decades, came IMHO from South-East-Asia, in particular from Aman and later GHM.

Thank you very much for this excellent contribution.

It is indeed the British who started the modern form of tourism. As an example in my country people feared the mountains, it was the British that climbed them first.

I disagree with you that Relais & Chateaux are not industry defining. The product was initially known as "Route du Bonheur" and started by a small guesthouse owner in Baix south of Lyon and I see here the beginning of the boutique hotel movement. Later they named themselves "Relais de Campagne" and merged with "Chateaux Hotels". Hence the origin of the brand name. Relais & Chateaux focuses increasingly on food quality and today you can find the world's leading "grand chefs" in their publication. Also they definitely keep a French / European touch which I much appreciate.

Regarding Aman, this is the higher gear indeed and points definitely towards the future. Mr Zecha is at 77 years still full of ideas, a real pleasure to talk with and I wish him much success. The uncluttered design and focus on the real needs of the guests is a strong point here.

And yes, you forgot Club Meditarrenee which really started a landslide movement of which I am not a fan.

France was, is and will always be the center of culture and good taste. Even some poster on this board choose famous French product names to show that they represent style . This honours France!

Last edited by behuman; May 8, 2010 at 5:11 am Reason: To be in line with the "Luxury" hotels forum style of writing
Old May 7, 2010, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
One of the conundrums of the luxury hotel space is that most consumers of high luxury are also strongly averse to any connotation of a "chain" or brand. When you're spending $500 a night or more, guests want to believe that they are as unique and special as their accommodations, and that the hotel or resort is catering to them and them alone.

"Luxury brand" is somewhat of an oxymoron.
Old May 7, 2010, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I am not sure about that- both Aman and Four Seasons have pretty loyal followings.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

When you're spending $500 a night or more, guests want to believe that they are as unique and special as their accommodations, and that the hotel or resort is catering to them and them alone.
I think that introducing new price levels was another major innovation in the hotel industry. I don't know who pioneered the "ultra-expensive hotel" segment (> US$ 1.000 per night minimum, even if not in downtown London-Tokyo-NewYork), but it was certainly a visionary thing to do.

Quasi-mythical early names like Huka Lodge, Frégate, Singita, Eden Roc, Villa d'Este come to mind. Travelling to those places was like bringing a trophy home.

The only "chain" that has achieved comparable "bragging rights" is Aman.

Trophy Hotels above US$ 1.000 pN minimum price

I have been trying to compile all hotels worldwide with a minimum price of US$ 1.000 ("separating the men from the boys" budget-wise. Additions welcome.)

Europe
Skibo Castle
Gleneagles
Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons
The Dorchester
Brown’s
Hacienda Benazuza El Bulli
Four Seasons Georges V
Plaza Athenée
Ritz
Le Meurice
Le Bristol
Fouquets Barrière
Eden Roc
Residence de la Pinède St. Tropez
La Réserve de Beaulieu
Schneider Almhof Lech
Zürserhof
President Wilson
Carlton St. Moritz
Suvretta House
Villa d’Este
Villa Feltrinelli
Seven Stars Galleria
Four Seasons Milan
Cala di Volpe
La Pitrizza
Romazzino
Cipriani & Palazzo Vendramin
Splendido
Il Pellicano
La Posta Vecchia
Palazzo Arzaga
JK Place Capri
Le Sirenuse
Caruso Ravello
Aman Sveti Stefan
Mystique Santorini
Villa Galaxy Mykonos
Elounda Suites Crete
Les Ottomans
Ritz-Carlton Moscow

Americas & Caribbean
King Pacific Lodge Vancouver
Four Seasons New York
Twin Farms
Lake Placid Lodge
The Point
Calistoga Ranch
Post Ranch Inn
Amangiri
Amangani
Mansion at MGM Grand
Little Palm Island Florida Keys
Mayakoba Rosewood
Amanyara
Parrot Cay Como Shambala
The Tuscany
Hermitage Bay
Necker Island
St. Barth Hotel
Le Toiny St. Barth
Guanahani St. Barth
Cotton House Mustique
K Club (closed)
Little Dix Bay
Caneel Resort
Goldeneye
Blue Lagoon Villas Jamaica

Arabia
Burj al Arab
Al Maha
Royal Mirage
Dar al Masyaf
Six Senses Zighy Bay

Asia
Four Seasons Tented Camp
Amanpuri
Amanusa, Amandari, Amankila, Amanwana, Amanjiwo
Amankora
Amanbagh, Aman-i-Khas
Vanyavilas
Taj Lake Palace
Bulgari Bali
&Beyond (Baghvan, Banjaar Thola, Mahua Kothi, Pashan Garh)

Aus, NZ & Oceania
Lizard Island
Qualia Great Barrier Reef
Longitude 131
Moonlight Head Private Lodge
Bedarra Island
Huka Lodge
The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs
Blanket Bay
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers
Turtle Island
Laucala
Wakaya
Vatulele
Hotel Bora Bora (closed), St. Regis BB, Four Seasons BB, Bora Bora Lagoon Resort

Africa
Amanjena
La Gazelle d'Or
Little Governors Camp
Bateleur Camp
Klein’s Camp
Grumeti Camp
Lake Manyara Tree Lodge (ccafrica.com => andbeyond.com)
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Beho Beho Selous
Singita Sasakwa, Serengeti
Leadwood Lodge
Exeter River Lodge
Singita Lebombo, Ebony, Boulders & Sweni, Kruger
Sanctuary at Ol Lentille
Mnemba Island
Londolozi
Ulusaba
Mala Mala
Royal Malewane
Villa Okavango
(Little) Mombo
Little Kulala
Little Ongava
Kapinga Camp
Shumba Camp
Zarafa Camp
Abu Camp
Jao Camp
Chief's Camp
Xudum
Xaranna
Jack's Camp
Vumbura Plains
Zibadianja Linyanti
King's Pool Linyanti
Serra Cafema
Skeleton Coast Camp
The Saxon
La Residence Franschhoek
Birkenhead Villa

Indian Ocean
Soneva Gili
Reethi Raa
Kanuhura
The Beach House by Waldorf Astoria
Fregate Island
North Island
Cousine Island
Round Island Lodge
Maia Resort
Royal Palm
Le Touessrok
Le Saint Géran
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...mum-price.html
Old May 7, 2010, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that introducing new price levels was another major innovation in the hotel industry. I don't know who pioneered the "ultra-expensive hotel" segment (> US$ 1.000 per night minimum, even if not in downtown London-Tokyo-NewYork), but it was certainly a visionary thing to do.

The only "chain" that has achieved comparable "bragging rights" is Aman.
I am not sure about that- in 1928, when Leading Hotels of the World began their small association, they had more than a few hotels that charged $20 USD a night: given that in 1928, a troy ounce of gold was worth $20, the similar price today would be 816 GBP.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I am not sure about that- in 1928, when Leading Hotels of the World began their small association, they had more than a few hotels that charged $20 USD a night: given that in 1928, a troy ounce of gold was worth $20, the similar price today would be 816 GBP.
There is an important difference between the best metropolitan hotels (at any point in history) frequented by dignitaries and businesspeople - and hotels in the countryside, on islands, in the wild, that no one needed to travel to by necessity, but they became destinations in itself.

I agree that certainly LHW was the first collection of outstanding "trophies" - unfortunately they have lost the plot
Old May 7, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But certainly LHW was the first collection of outstanding "trophies" - unfortunately they have lost the plot.
Agreed here- there are some incredible hotels in the collection, and also some real disappointments.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I hesitate to try to clarify trophyCollector because he's always thorough, but there is a needed clarification in his excellent post. Four Seasons he has placed within The United States paragraph, although he did say it was "North American". It was started by Iss Sharp, a Canadian, in Toronto in 1960 and still is based there. Four Seasons thus is Canadian, not American.

There is also CN Hotels, not always in quite the same league but still worthy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Hotels, even though they are now part of Fairmont, thus American again http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/AboutFairmont/OurHistory/

Further I think the last line should have credited Peninsula (HSH) with being the real beginning of serious SEA innovation. Mandarin Oriental with roots in the Oriental Hotel Bangkok also should be mentioned, especially for their early role in bringing high standards to a branded product.

Without a doubt Aman and GMH are the class-defining products today, but both owe their existence to the Peninsula, Mandarin and Orientals before them.

Do you agree with these comments, TrophyCollector?
Old May 7, 2010, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I hesitate to try to clarify trophyCollector because he's always thorough, but there is a needed clarification in his excellent post. Four Seasons he has placed within The United States paragraph, although he did say it was "North American". It was started by Iss Sharp, a Canadian, in Toronto in 1960 and still is based there. Four Seasons thus is Canadian, not American.

There is also CN Hotels, not always in quite the same league but still worthy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Hotels, even though they are now part of Fairmont, thus American again http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/AboutFairmont/OurHistory/

Further I think the last line should have credited Peninsula (HSH) with being the real beginning of serious SEA innovation. Mandarin Oriental with roots in the Oriental Hotel Bangkok also should be mentioned, especially for their early role in bringing high standards to a branded product.

Without a doubt Aman and GMH are the class-defining products today, but both owe their existence to the Peninsula, Mandarin and Orientals before them.

Do you agree with these comments, TrophyCollector?
Yes, you are abolutely right about FS and part of Fairmont being of Canadian Heritage.

I also agree that Mandarin Oriental should been included, primarily because of the original Oriental in Bangkok. I am not so sure about the modern development of the MO Group, though. Then we would probably have to consider Shangri-La as well.

On another note, I actually think that the Costes in France deserves to be on a list of luxury hotel milestones - giving some further credit to the French. After all, the Costes was the start of fame for Philippe Starck and later for Jacques Garcia, if I remember correctly. And it co-created the sophisticated music-lounge style.

From the Costes it is only a small step to the Fasano Hotels - needless to say that to a Carioca - or Paulista

Last edited by TrophyCollector; May 7, 2010 at 10:23 am
Old May 7, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Just to clarify- CN Hotels were bought by CP (Canadian Pacific), and CP bought bought Delta Hotels and Fairmont Hotels- they changed the name to Fairmont as extensive market research showed the name had much stronger recognition for their target clients.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I am not sure about that- both Aman and Four Seasons have pretty loyal followings.
Hence the modifier "somewhat."
Old May 8, 2010, 11:00 am
Aman Contributor Badge

....When you're spending $500 a night or more, guests want to believe that they are as unique and special as their accommodations, and that the hotel or resort is catering to them and them alone.

I do not think that the Aman and FS customers feel less unique and special and catered for in a very personal way compared to other luxury hotel customers. However, they might be more risk averse and more comfort seeking in terms of defining "knowing what I get" as an important element of a stay in a luxury hotel.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
I do not think that the Aman and FS customers feel less unique and special and catered for in a very personal way compared to other luxury hotel customers. However, they might be more risk averse and more comfort seeking in terms of defining "knowing what I get" as an important element of a stay in a luxury hotel.
Yes, I agree for FS, as they pro-actively point out in their key claim: "home away from home".
Old May 8, 2010, 4:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Yes, I agree for FS, as they pro-actively point out in their key claim: "home away from home".
In a way I agree it is more true for FS, but Amans are in another way even more extreme in terms of providing a "safe luxury experience" since they offer also lots of "Aman style excursions"; you can venture out of the hotel and experience the local culture/nature etc., but still be very certain that you will be having a luxury experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.