FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - National impulses on the global luxury hotel industry
Old May 6, 2010, 10:42 am
behuman

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
From France we have Sofitel, however the only industry-defining product may (to a small extent) be the luxury food & heritage hotel combination of Relais & Chateau.

The most important luxury hotel innovations, completely redefining the industry in the last two decades, came IMHO from South-East-Asia, in particular from Aman and later GHM.

Thank you very much for this excellent contribution.

It is indeed the British who started the modern form of tourism. As an example in my country people feared the mountains, it was the British that climbed them first.

I disagree with you that Relais & Chateaux are not industry defining. The product was initially known as "Route du Bonheur" and started by a small guesthouse owner in Baix south of Lyon and I see here the beginning of the boutique hotel movement. Later they named themselves "Relais de Campagne" and merged with "Chateaux Hotels". Hence the origin of the brand name. Relais & Chateaux focuses increasingly on food quality and today you can find the world's leading "grand chefs" in their publication. Also they definitely keep a French / European touch which I much appreciate.

Regarding Aman, this is the higher gear indeed and points definitely towards the future. Mr Zecha is at 77 years still full of ideas, a real pleasure to talk with and I wish him much success. The uncluttered design and focus on the real needs of the guests is a strong point here.

And yes, you forgot Club Meditarrenee which really started a landslide movement of which I am not a fan.

France was, is and will always be the center of culture and good taste. Even some poster on this board choose famous French product names to show that they represent style . This honours France!

Last edited by behuman; May 8, 2010 at 5:11 am Reason: To be in line with the "Luxury" hotels forum style of writing