Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels on wheels - Venice Simplon Orient Express

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 3:33 am

Dresscode

A stupid dresscode question:

The official word of the Orient Express goes:

You can never be overdressed on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express. The historic decor of the train and its atmosphere encourages everyone to dress to suit the occasion. Dinner provides you with a marvellous opportunity to recreate the style and glamour of a bygone age. For evening dinner many travellers will wear black tie or evening dress.
Is white tie/tailcoat overdressed?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:06 am Reason: Deleted non-functioning link
Old May 15, 2010, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Is white tie/tailcoat overdressed?
No, if you own one. Renting would be embarassing though

I liked your other thread reg. travel dresscodes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rst-class.html
Old May 15, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've thought a lot about taking the E&O from Singapore to Bangkok or vv. One concern that I've had, though, is whether Mr. Megatop and I would feel somewhat out of place age-wise, among the other passengers. He is 40, I will turn 35 later this month. We'd be looking at a trip around Christmas 2011, so add a year to those ages.

There is a presumption, perhaps based on a misunderstanding, that the vast majority of pax on these trains will be significantly older than we are. Can some of you who've taken these trains speak to the age mix among pax.

Last edited by MegatopLover; May 17, 2010 at 6:12 am
Old May 15, 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I've thought a lot about taking the E&O from Singapore to Bangkok or vv. One concern that I've had, though, is whether Mr. Megatop and I would feel somewhat out of place age-wise, among the other passengers. He is 40, I will turn 35 later this month. We'd be looking at a trip around Christmas 2011, so add a year to those ages.

There is a presumption, perhaps based on a misunderstanding, that the vast majority of pax on these trains will be significantly old than we are. Can some of you who've taken these trains speak to the age mix among pax.
I can't speak from personal experience about that exact trip, but I will tell you that Mr. free101girl and I have been on quite a few travel outings that tend to skew much older (luxury cruise lines, etc). We've been doing this for the past 7-ish years, since I was 40 and he was in his late 40s. While we're often among the youngest people, we haven't found it bothersome. We've enjoyed our time with people from another generation, many of whom "think young" or they wouldn't be going on such adventures.

Also, seeing the physical struggles some of the oldest people are experiencing has made us happy that we are still relatively young, mobile and in good health, because we are able to enjoy the whole experience without any compromises.

In short, if you're able to spare the time and money to do these things while you're young, you are fortunate, and I say go for it!
Old May 15, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on that note, i can say that i found passengers on seabourn crossing younger than i thought they would be..

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: Deleted link thqt no longer works
Old May 15, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
on that note, i can say that i found passengers on seabourn crossing younger than i thought they would be..
True. I also found passengers on Crystal to be younger than expected, or at least very well-preserved.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
I agree with MegatopLovers concerns. We are about the same age here. And on cruiseships we usually halve the age average. I wonder if there is a market for Orient-Express or luxury ships to target a younger clientle, with their historic / education products at specific dates only. Maybe through focused communication in social media? Viral offer via Facebook & Twitter?

Then the scene would potentially look like in the ad: Gr8!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am resurrecting this thread (I am sure someone will come along and criticize that, but there is no sense in starting a new one). We are planning on booking a Paris to Venice train overnight with Belmond. Are there any portal bonuses or credit card benefits for not booking directly through Belmond? I checked Ebates and shopping portals with airlines. Doesn't look like you can book it through Orbitz or OTAs. Has anyone booked this and scored extra perks or cash back/miles for their reservation?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:33 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am resurrecting this thread (I am sure someone will come along and criticize that, but there is no sense in starting a new one). We are planning on booking a Paris to Venice train overnight with Belmond. Are there any portal bonuses or credit card benefits for not booking directly through Belmond? I checked Ebates and shopping portals with airlines. Doesn't look like you can book it through Orbitz or OTAs. Has anyone booked this and scored extra perks or cash back/miles for their reservation?
Might be some extra perks through a Virtuoso travel agent.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
Might be some extra perks through a Virtuoso travel agent.
$100 credit? while agent gets 490 > 700 per night

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Paris to Venice train overnight
1 night - 4,900 / 5,400 / 6,200 / 7,000

edit - i dont recall LL deals for europe, but i could be forgetting something
i think it was belmond/OE direct that did big intro discount on ireland train

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 1, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am OK with resurrecting this thread but went through and deleted a number of off-topic and personal attack posts from back in 2010. There are still some of these left, including quotes from the deleted posts that repeat some bad stuff. If I have a free day I might go back and deal with those too but for now, I remind posters to both avoid personal attacks and off-topic posts.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:04 am

My parents took the E and O a couple years back. They were able to find a smoking good far (like 40% list) through Luxury Link. Sadly LL is out of business but maybe there are some sites out there that do similar??

FDW
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.