Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Closing Part Of Their Facilities During A Stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Luxury Hotels Closing Part Of Their Facilities During A Stay

I would be interested in your thoughts on the following scenario.

I'm in the middle of a weekend break at a 5* European hotel. When I got back to the room after dinner last night, there was a note from the GM stating that one of the two pools was closed for the day (for the next day) for a private function, which equally means that one of the two restaurants is also closed. This was the first time I had been made aware of the closure.

The hotel is is at full capacity which means:

- at 10.30am every single sun lounger at the available pool is taken (one of them by me - but only because I could see them filling up while I was at breakfast and so had to cut breakfast short to nab one; not exactly a relaxing start to the day);

- kids, who would normally be at the other pool, are frolicking in the so-called adults pool (I don't blame them, I have young kids myself) causing noise;

- people are already getting irate that no loungers are available, nor umbrellas on a day when it is 36 degrees;

- lunch is going to be horrible because there is essentially now only one restaurant open to cater for a full hotel.

It is inconceivable that the hotel management does not appreciate the inconvenience that their actions have caused, but they have chosen to maximise revenue over the comfort of their guests - who made their booking on the basis of the available facilities. This is not a case of a minor wrinkle - 50% of the available leisure facilities have been closed in a hotel at full occupancy, on a weekend.

I've read on here many stories of similar closures for weddings etc, and was wondering what if any actions you had taken? Is it worth complaining and if so what would be reasonable to ask for? After all, they are hardly going to cancel the private party...however, I am a firm believer that hotels should not be able to get away with service failures while charging high prices (we are paying £500+ a night).

Last edited by bigmerv; Jun 17, 2017 at 4:26 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Had a similar issue staying at a Sofitel. The hotel pool was being closed for the owner's engagement party and we then had to put up with days of preparations such as workmen gawking at you as you tried to use the pool, numerous noisy sound checks and staff more interested in preparing the the party.

On the party night the noise went on until well past 4 am. From midnight I complained numerous times to reception, twice in person I think it was. My last was about 3 am or 4 am when I begged to find out when it was ending. I asked why I was put in a room close to the pool area where I could hear every word said in the toasts and all the song lyrics clearly. There appeared nothing they could or would do as it was the engagement party of the owner.

A Flyertalk regular gave me the name of someone in the Sofitel chain to ask for and I think that made a bit of a difference. I seemed like "someone" in the know rather than an idiot guest in one of the cheap rooms (I was on a money saving holiday so in one of the entry level rooms). I was finally moved rooms by myself at about 4 am. My husband refused so he was in our original room. In my new room half way across the complex I could still hear noise but it was a bit better.

They emailed me about the party before the event, however I had left to go to other countries before I landed at this hotel so I never bothered to read my emails. They put a note under our door of the party night inviting us. I think they believed that because they invited us it absolved them from any issues such as noise.

On the party night I was given NO compensation, no answers and it took me begging numerous times to move rooms. I had expected a note or acknowledgement the next day or even a bottle of wine with an apology, but I got nothing.

I wrote a review on Trip Advisor which the manager replied to and said he was sorry (they weren't sorry on the day) and asked me to contact him.I said they should not of had paying guests at the hotel during that time. In the end I was asked/told that if I took my review down they would reimburse me for 2 nights of my stay (about A$500). I chose not to take my review down.

If I was you I'd ask for a discount commensurate on the discomfort/inconvenience you received. Surely at least a 50% refund of your stay. If you are an elite or whatever you call it, I'd ask for over 75% refund of your accommodation.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Well we've not got to the night time yet, but I see a large stage on the lawn!! Sorry to hear your experience, that sounds horrible!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I wrote a review on Trip Advisor which the manager replied to and said he was sorry (they weren't sorry on the day) and asked me to contact him.I said they should not of had paying guests at the hotel during that time. In the end I was asked/told that if I took my review down they would reimburse me for 2 nights of my stay (about A$500). I chose not to take my review down.
You are my hero.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Well we've not got to the night time yet, but I see a large stage on the lawn!! Sorry to hear your experience, that sounds horrible!
Mine was a nightmare. Ruined my stay. Good luck to you.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the middle of a weekend break at a 5* European hotel. When I got back to the room after dinner last night, there was a note from the GM stating that one of the two pools was closed for the day (for the next day) for a private function, which equally means that one of the two restaurants is also closed
does hotel website publish that pool/restaurant as meeting/event venue?

talk to high level manager then check out?

there are reports here of having success dealing with corporate when response is lacking

considering how many luxury hotels publish this (like having a single pool and renting it exclusively to nonguests) it is fortunate there are not more reports here of running into it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...uests-etc.html
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It is inconceivable that the hotel management does not appreciate the inconvenience that their actions have caused, but they have chosen to maximise revenue over the comfort of their guests - who made their booking on the basis of the available facilities. This is not a case of a minor wrinkle - 50% of the available leisure facilities have been closed in a hotel at full occupancy, on a weekend.

I've read on here many stories of similar closures for weddings etc, and was wondering what if any actions you had taken? Is it worth complaining and if so what would be reasonable to ask for? After all, they are hardly going to cancel the private party...however, I am a firm believer that hotels should not be able to get away with service failures while charging high prices (we are paying £500+ a night).
I would want at least 1 day of the weekend stay refunded or comped for the unavailable services and possible noise disruptions. I hope your night isn't full of boomcha!
Truth be told, I would have checked out and found another comparable hotel if at all possible. Rather not deal with pool scramble and wedding noise.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12

I'm surprised crooked Tripadvisor didn't take it off or listen to that manager asking them to. They took down numerous, other valid complaints before including my scathing review on Signiel Seoul. Apparently, there's a hidden owners or managers forum where they can appeal against unflattering or angry posts.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 17, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a comparable hotel nearby to which the OP can move? Alternatively, can you go elsewhere for lunch? [How isolated is the resort and are you on a half or full board plan?] I think you can assume that room service will be messed up today, so that isn't an option even if you want to eat in your room or poolside.

If the reservation was made by a Virtuoso agent, contact them (or their substitute emergency contact) ASAP. If you used FHR, LHW, R&C etc. you should try to contact them, but they probably won't be able to do anything in real time.

For potential later use, go to the hotel's website and print or take screen shots of the (lack of) special announcement that facilities will be unavailable to guests and how the facilities are currently described. The hotel might post an announcement later and lie about it or change what they say about their facilities.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm surprised crooked Tripadvisor didn't take it off or listen to that manager asking them to. They took down numerous, other valid complaints before including my scathing review on Signiel Seoul. Apparently, there's a hidden owners or managers forum where they can appeal against unflattering or angry posts.
It's probably OT, but what happened there? Link? Is the review (and its response) still available?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

@Kagehitokiri wow that's a sorry collection of tales. This wedding tonight is for 270 guests, which is more than the whole hotel could take if fully booked (which it is!). I guess the equation for management is that they will make X on the event booking, might have to pay out 1% of X to complaining guests, and don't care if people don't come back because, hey, there are always others.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about naming the hotel?

I've had this happen to me at my first (and last) stay at the hotel Bel-Air where hotel guests were told to eat in the bar. No compensation, no apologies here either.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
It would be indeed interesting to know which hotel/resort we're talking about.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
^
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
@Kagehitokiri wow that's a sorry collection of tales. This wedding tonight is for 270 guests, which is more than the whole hotel could take if fully booked (which it is!). I guess the equation for management is that they will make X on the event booking, might have to pay out 1% of X to complaining guests, and don't care if people don't come back because, hey, there are always others.
Valid point. Had similar experiences in the past. Terrible and their last meeting with me but it happens from time to time.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think it does depend a bit on the identity of the actual hotel--since being in a location with many nearby restaurants means the restaurant closure is not necessarily a major factor.

I also think the hotel owes you for the pool situation--overcrowding and not offering the same luxury experience expected when booking was made, especially if the pool is a major element for most stays. The identity of the hotel therefore makes a bit of a difference.

In general, I'd expect a credit of one night on a multi-day stay...perhaps more depending on the lack of availability of comparable nearby restaurants.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would want at least 1 day of the weekend stay refunded or comped for the unavailable services and possible noise disruptions. I hope your night isn't full of boomcha!
Truth be told, I would have checked out and found another comparable hotel if at all possible. Rather not deal with pool scramble and wedding noise.

Once i posted my review, others did too. The manager asked me privately in an email. Not sure if they asked TA to take it down. I jusy stated facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.