Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS or LMO as first time tourist

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong: FS or LMO as first time tourist

Hi

I am current pondering on whether to rather stay at the FS in a Deluxe Harbour Room view or at the MO Landmark in a L600 Premier.

From reading through older posts I gather that the LMO room refurbs from earlier this year were well done and LMO has the better spa, but the views from FS are better.

Which one would you recommend for a 3 day visit for a first time visitor to HK?

Appreciate your advise.
DonJ
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:01 am

For a first timer, to me the view is very important. Plus, the FSHK, while maybe not quite as nice of a hard product, is still an absolutely wonderful hotel, with gorgeous views and amazing service.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
For a first timer , I would stay at the iconic MOHK rather than the LMO . You can use the spa at LMO or MOHK .
One can easily walk to FS , if you prefer the views from there .
It will be quite a treat if you get an harbour facing room / suite in MOHK with binoculars provided .
Then take the Star Ferry across to Kowloon & take in the views while crossing and hanging out at the Intercontinental
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I prefer the views at FS better as in the correct room, you can see both sides of the harbour where as the MO (I agree, go MOHK not LMO) you view the Kowloon side mainly.

Both are lovely. The FS is insanely easy to get to as it is in the same complex as the MTR. MO is outside the complex, a couple blocks away. Still easy.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Originally Posted by aa213bb
For a first timer, to me the view is very important.
I agree about the view being the deciding factor, especially on a first visit. Even after many visits to Hong Kong I still enjoy it a lot.

If you want to stay on the Hong Kong Island side (which I would recommend), FS and MO offer great views.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks and appreciate your thoughts re the view. Would you say that LMO is only the best option in terms of contemporary hard product?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by DonJ
Thanks and appreciate your thoughts re the view. Would you say that LMO is only the best option in terms of contemporary hard product?
Well , LMO for best contemporary hard product . But not best for first timer !
Can ask MOHK to have you in in theirs with both views of harbour & Statue Square ( HK island side & the Peak ) , possibly a corner suite .
The one with a balcony might just be best .
Rooms are contemporary where you get all the " bells & whistles " but not minimalist if that is what you are hankering for .
Sheltered & air conditioned walkways to many buildings / malls & MTR .
Sheltered to Star Ferry & FS but no AC part way .
Easy walk to Lan Kwai Fong ..

If completely contemporary is a must have then there is for very contemporary with no pool or spa with fantastic views , The Upper House - TUH !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 20, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
FS also hasn't a great outdoor pool, so if going when it is going to be warm there, that is a nice bonus.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
FS also hasn't a great outdoor pool, so if going when it is going to be warm there, that is a nice bonus.
Watch out for the pollution level though , may look clear but ..
Sometimes you can smell it .

Pollution index is shown on local TV stations but think only in the mornings so better check with the concierge .
Been for quick looks when friends were staying at the FS residence .
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Definitely the FS because of the views, outdoor pool and the fantastic Club Lounge (it's definitely worth upgrading to a Club Premier Harbour View room).
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:55 am

I last stayed at the Four Seasons and had a deluxe harbour view room. Yes, the view from the room was fine but the best views in Hong Kong are from the other side, the Kowloon side, and of the hotels there the very best views are from the Intercontinental which was once the Regent. Higher floor rooms in the Peninsula also have wonderful views of Hong Kong Island.

If I was a tourist (and I am!) seeing HK for the first time I think I'd chose the Peninsula for the views and the history of that hotel.

The FS has a rather boring location. However, it does have fabulous service and a stunning pool deck if the weather's kind which it usually isn't in HK. I wasn't that impressed with their high-end French and Chinese restaurants.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:31 am

I am also a loyal FS guest but I agree about the Peninsula. If I were a first time tourist visitor, I would stay there and take the Star ferry over to HK.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I am also a loyal FS guest but I agree about the Peninsula. If I were a first time tourist visitor, I would stay there and take the Star ferry over to HK.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I last stayed at the Four Seasons and had a deluxe harbour view room. Yes, the view from the room was fine but the best views in Hong Kong are from the other side, the Kowloon side, and of the hotels there the very best views are from the Intercontinental which was once the Regent. Higher floor rooms in the Peninsula also have wonderful views of Hong Kong Island.

If I was a tourist (and I am!) seeing HK for the first time I think I'd chose the Peninsula for the views and the history of that hotel.

The FS has a rather boring location. However, it does have fabulous service and a stunning pool deck if the weather's kind which it usually isn't in HK. I wasn't that impressed with their high-end French and Chinese restaurants.
Considering the changes to HK / Kowloon these past few years , it ' s " safer " to stay on the island rather than Kowloon ( Though not certain areas ) .
For instance , MOHK & LMO are good with views of protests from a safe distance

So for views :
Star Ferry across to Kowloon .
Dim Sum brunch at Serenade , Hong Kong Cultural Centre on the esplanade
Tea at Intercontinental
Dinner at Peninsula - Felix
Evening sail on a junk or ??

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 22, 2016 at 4:18 pm Reason: Typos
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:20 am

When will your trip be?

That's a huge factor because the pollution in Hong Kong can be very bad in the winter (whilst almost nonexistent in the summer). So if you are going any time from Dec through February, then do NOT pick a hotel for the view, as you'll likely be disappointed. You don't want to show up on a bad day when you can't even see across the harbour.

Caveat to that is if you are here during Chinese New Year, as the factories all shut down so pollution drops. Then any time from March through October and the views should be good, as the winds change in the summer, dramatically reducing pollution.

Peninsula is a great hotel and the views are definitely better from the Kowloon side. That said, I personally think Kowloon is the worst part of Hong Kong.

One side note, if you do have time, venture up to New Territories or out to Lantau. Hong Kong has the best hiking of any major urban area in the world. And even if you don't hike or rock climb, you can at least enjoy the views of the mountains, the beaches, etc. So much better than spending all your time in Central or Kowloon.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If you need a spa, I'd say the Peninsula. Otherwise, I'd say The Upper House.

We stayed our first time at The Upper House and loved it--and especially loved how unique it is. (We've stayed at many Pens, StR, FS, MO, RC, Aman, etc.) TUH reminded us of an urban Aman...and that's really saying something.

If you must have a pool (and it's warm), then most will say the FS.

We visited the FS, MO, LMO, RC, Pen, W, and IC while we were there on that first visit. We still love TUH.

I don't think the Kowloon vs Central/HKI debate is as important as it for so many others--since it's so easy to get across to the other side and since the views are still good regardless (but admittedly better from the Kowloon side). We stayed at TUH and didn't miss the "better" view at all...but enjoyed the Kowloon view plenty from the Pen, the RC (which was crazy amazing, but I wouldn't want to stay there), and the IC (which was the best view, but I still wouldn't want to stay there unless in one of their speciality suites).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.