Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Sorry, but you're wrong about it Ben. They are able to capture
high resolution pictures and you would be surprised what you can get
from a $200 drone today.
I agree 100% with the OP, it's becoming a MAJOR PITA and I don't see
how this can change any time soon.
Agree! Of course the hotel can´t give a guarantee, no hotel can. It´s always possible a guest use a drone. I never saw it at a hotel (only at sights).

Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO, it's not just drones. It's frigging people wanting to take pictures everywhere of everything. Especially in Asia, it's out of control in some of the resorts. I wish they'd ban photography outright.
That woudn´t be possible and I woudn´t like it. It´s all a question of how people took pictures. In the past I thought it´s stupid to take food-pictures, today I do to remember. And I like to take pictures of pool, beach, lobby etc. I mostly do it early in the morning when nobody is around.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Invest in an M40 rifle and do take the option of shooting down the annoying drones
Old May 17, 2016, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Invest in an M40 rifle and do take the option of shooting down the annoying drones
One guy did it (in the UK I think) and he was prosecuted, not the drone guy...
He did it over his property, defending his privacy. And he lost.
Welcome to the new world
Old May 17, 2016, 7:38 am

I think it is shocking that people are playing with drones in resorts and invading privacy. The only time I saw one was at Aman Sveti Stefan when the photograohers of a big Russian wedding were using them...endlessly. That alone was disturbing, but I would hate to see them over my private pool in the Maldives. I agree that hotels should ban them. These days it seems that everyone is a paparazzi!
Old May 17, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Or there's this approach.

Old May 17, 2016, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never thought about this issue before seeing this thread but reading the comments here, I sure agree the resorts should ban them. The only question is whether every jurisdiction allows them to. I can't ban planes from flying over my property, at what altitude does that happen?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

This was the hotel response.

Greetings from Jumeirah Dhevanafushi Maldives and hope my note finds you well.

First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination in October, the team will certainly be on hand to make sure that you will spend enjoyable time with us.

Furthermore, I have learnt from my colleagues that you have enquired about the privacy of the resort as you have seen a video of the island taken by a drone. Rest assured that the privacy and the confidentiality of our guests is one of our main concerns, under no circumstances any of our guests’ privacy would be exposed. In case we anticipate to shoot any video or photo-shoot, a proper planning will be prepared and in that circumstance the privacy of our guests will be definite.

During your upcoming stay with us from 29th September to 6th October, 2016 we do not expect such an activity, moreover none of our guests would be using a drone unless it is beforehand planned and approved as I stated before.

To which I replied that what's the guarantee. It seems a bit stepping around the issue.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I never thought about this issue before seeing this thread but reading the comments here, I sure agree the resorts should ban them. The only question is whether every jurisdiction allows them to. I can't ban planes from flying over my property, at what altitude does that happen?
Since the UAVs are being brought to the resort by guests, and launched from resort grounds, I would think they would have the ability to prohibit their use at the resort. A drone "fly by" originating from elsewhere would be a more complicated issue.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
To which I replied that what's the guarantee. It seems a bit stepping around the issue.
I do not think a resort can be reasonably expected to guarantee that no one will launch a UAV, as that is not within their control.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I do not think a resort can be reasonably expected to guarantee that no one will launch a UAV, as that is not within their control.
No, but a resort could commit to instituting a rule against it, investigate to the best of their abilities should a violation occur, and remove the offending guest, full stop.

There's a difference between "We can't do anything about it" and "We'll do everything we can."
Old May 18, 2016, 12:20 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
No, but a resort could commit to instituting a rule against it, investigate to the best of their abilities should a violation occur, and remove the offending guest, full stop.

There's a difference between "We can't do anything about it" and "We'll do everything we can."
I agree. Resorts can add announcements on their sites that drones are not permitted. Set expectations in advance.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by surftb15
I'll be in the Maldives in a few months. I booked, and paid for, the Jumeriah dhavenufushi. Now when I look at their Instagram a lot of guests are posting drone videos where they fly a drone right over other guests room.

This is a MAJOR issue for us. Lack of privacy is a big thing and heaven forbid a video gets posted without anyone's consent.

The Jumeriah hasn't guaranteed that a guest Won't fly a drone.

AM I overreacting here? It seems the only resort without a drone policy is the Gili Lankafushi and possibly Cheval blanc.
Much ado about nothing.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:47 am

The other side of the issue could be that resorts have valued guests who want to use drones to photograph the landscape. So, I can understand why limited use would be allowed with the resort's permission. Obviously, privacy of other guests would have to be respected.

The resorts themselves use drones for photography and videos.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The other side of the issue could be that resorts have valued guests who want to use drones to photograph the landscape. So, I can understand why limited use would be allowed with the resort's permission. Obviously, privacy of other guests would have to be respected.

The resorts themselves use drones for photography and videos.
And I agree with this.

If the hotel says "a drone will fly over from 1 pm to 1:15 pm", I would have no problem with this.

The issue is I paying $8,800 BEFORE TAX for 6 nights and theres no guarantee a drone WONT Fly over.

As I said before, we appreciate some privacy here.

If a hotel has a written drone policy, as the Gili Lankafushi does, that would alleviate many fears. the key is that the hotel makes the guest aware of this policy, prior to checkin.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:01 am

Perhaps Gili Lankanfushi is the answer then. It is where I have chosen to stay on my upcoming trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.