Wiki Posts
Search

Booking hotels in private name

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Booking hotels in private name

For business reasons I wish it to be kept private that I am in a particular city and staying at a particular hotel. Specifically, I don't want the front desk to connect any callers to my room, or to acknowledge to callers that I am staying there.

Can I make a reservation at a hotel a hotel under an assumed name, so that my stay there remains private? If not, what is the best way of doing this?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by MOR
For business reasons I wish it to be kept private that I am in a particular city and staying at a particular hotel. Specifically, I don't want the front desk to connect any callers to my room, or to acknowledge to callers that I am staying there.

Can I make a reservation at a hotel a hotel under an assumed name, so that my stay there remains private? If not, what is the best way of doing this?
Why don’t you just let them know that you value your privacy? Most good hotels will be happy to oblige but I don’t think they would find it particularly trustworthy if you check-in under a false name.

If this is not enough, why don’t you just put the booking under the name of your EA/PA and have him/her check in with you?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:39 am

Definitely tell the hotel that you need privacy. It’s definitely not a good idea to try to use an assumed name.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 15, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In many countries impossible which ask for a passport. Also problem with CC.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most decent properties do this all the time. At the request of a customer, the property will specially note its system so that the customer is not acknowledged to outside inquiries. You simply need to call the individual property, speak with a manager and ask what the property can do for you. If it can't meet your needs, find another place. Typically only works with properties which tend to deal with relatively senior people (or dumps at which you don't want to stay).

The "fake name" thing works for certain people with serious security issues and, in that case, the people responsible for the individual's security and the property's security operation, handle it. Doesn't sound like your situation.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

true luxury hotels will pretend you are not there and use other names. at least one person will look at your passport. although technically passport may not always be looked at and recorded, regardless of laws/regulations.

payment not limited to CC, and business CCs often not name.

talk to senior managers and possibly security.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:10 am

If all that is needed is a high degree of privacy, I think simply discussing with management to ensure that one’s presence at the hotel is never acknowledged to any third party or outside caller would be sufficient.

If this really is a security issue, then further layres of protection could be implemented. Staying under an alias could be orchestrated by management/security in order to shield guest’s true identity from hotel personnel who do not need to know. Other options could be secure entrance and exit, special suite allocation for privacy, movement by service elevators, etc...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:37 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If all that is needed is a high degree of privacy, I think simply discussing with management to ensure that one’s presence at the hotel is never acknowledged to any third party or outside caller would be sufficient.

If this really is a security issue, then further layres of protection could be implemented. Staying under an alias could be orchestrated by management/security in order to shield guest’s true identity from hotel personnel who do not need to know. Other options could be secure entrance and exit, special suite allocation for privacy, movement by service elevators, etc...
The alias method is indeed used a lot for high profile guests (celebrities and others). However, this is always done working with management as some people will need to know who you actually are. So to repeat others, get in touch with the hotel and ask what options they can provide you with.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:33 pm

Depending on the country, the passport or other ID is required for registration. If privacy is needed, ask for a "confidential" stay and any reputable hotel will update their system to ensure this is recognized.
surftb15 and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by scented

Why don’t you just let them know that you value your privacy? Most good hotels will be happy to oblige but I don’t think they would find it particularly trustworthy if you check-in under a false name.

If this is not enough, why don’t you just put the booking under the name of your EA/PA and have him/her check in with you?
Most Executive Assistants have a LinkedIn now :-)
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:15 am

In the movie Notting Hill Julia Roberts was always checked in at the Ritz, London, using cartoon characters such as Bambi. Why don't you try that?
Musken likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
In the movie Notting Hill Julia Roberts was always checked in at the Ritz, London, using cartoon characters such as Bambi. Why don't you try that?
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

obviously things were quite different regulation wise in past. doesnt really matter though, an employee can ignore regulations. i think in this case even if a hotel suffered severe penalties they might only be able to fire the employee responsible for violation, most places. not the biggest disincentive.

i have heard reports of not presenting passport. in some cases it might be because they are in system as regular, but doesnt really matter in the end. clearly location is a big factor. probably also things like management co.

Originally Posted by offerendum
In Germany it’s not usual to present your passport.
may be easy there and similar places then

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 16, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
obviously things were quite different regulation wise in past. doesnt really matter though, an employee can ignore regulations. i think in this case even if a hotel suffered severe penalties they might only be able to fire the employee responsible for violation, most places. not the biggest disincentive.

i have heard reports of not presenting passport. in some cases it might be because they are in system as regular, but doesnt really matter in the end. clearly location is a big factor. probably also things like management co.
In Germany it’s not usual to present your passport.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:15 am

In most places some form of ID is asked for, but as a regular I am not asked repeatedly at same hotels. Even if one does not have ID, I doubt hotels are keen on making it a problem.

But, it would never be a good idea to try to stay under an assumed name. That is probably illegal in many places, and would be embarrassing if hotel figured it out. Staying under an alias would be something arranged in advance with management and security.

In true high profile situations, such as POTUS, hotel may not know who the guest is in advance. But, this does not seem to be the case, as anyone like that would have security people to take care of it, and would not be asking questions about it on this forum.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.