Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Amanaddicted
If you select FBH, which wouldn't be a good idea for my point of view, avoid absolutely all the rooms facing the bay... honestly the noise coming from Marina Bay Sands was not acceptable and it ruined my two first days of holidays in Cambodia cause I didn't sleep any second during my stopover in Singapore in this hotel and despite of efficient earplugs. This is the place I'll always avoid in Singapore...
The MBS is across the Bay from the FBH and the glass doors at the FBH are double glazed. I've been to this hotel twice and found it to be as quiet as a convent so I don't understand how you couldn't sleep "any second" there. Since the Bay facing rooms are among the highest category it's easy enough to request to be moved to almost any room in the hotel. Were there any other issues you had with the hotel other than noise?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:43 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by amaroo
A must see/visit....not sure about an overnight one.
Agreed.

Your description of the Sunday brunch at the FS on the other website made me drool. The hotel could have mold covering the bathrooms - and I'd still want to stay there . I've been on a diet for a year. Have lost about 10% of my body weight. Reckon I'll have to lose another 5% before our trip to Singapore to do ok. The food looks great! Robyn
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:49 pm
In memoriam

Shangri-La - Joe Biden Seems to Like It

He and entourage are spending > $500k to stay there.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...re_769646.html

Maybe he needs a good travel agent to get him a better deal .

Robyn
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
On FBH ...

Originally Posted by JetAway
The MBS is across the Bay from the FBH and the glass doors at the FBH are double glazed. I've been to this hotel twice and found it to be as quiet as a convent so I don't understand how you couldn't sleep "any second" there. Since the Bay facing rooms are among the highest category it's easy enough to request to be moved to almost any room in the hotel. Were there any other issues you had with the hotel other than noise?
Uhhh. No. The bass from the disco across the bay permeates the glass and shakes those windows. And this assumes that the air conditioning works and the windows are closed. When I was there, the AC was broken for three days and I had to have the windows open. So I got all the noise normally blocked by the windows along with the boom-shaka-shaka-boom-boom-boom from the bass speakers.

Also, there was massive construction in that open middle section during my stay, dramatically restricting the the number of rooms to the ones out of range of the jack hammers .... those started at 7am. So the boom-shaka-shaka-boom-boom-boom started at about 10pm and lasted until 5:30am. Then the jack hammers started at 7am. And in a room with no AC. I did have a two fireplaces in the suite for those chilly Singapore nights.

Altogether a disaster. I won't return.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Uhhh. No. The bass from the disco across the bay permeates the glass and shakes those windows. And this assumes that the air conditioning works and the windows are closed. When I was there, the AC was broken for three days and I had to have the windows open. So I got all the noise normally blocked by the windows along with the boom-shaka-shaka-boom-boom-boom from the bass speakers.

Also, there was massive construction in that open middle section during my stay, dramatically restricting the the number of rooms to the ones out of range of the jack hammers .... those started at 7am. So the boom-shaka-shaka-boom-boom-boom started at about 10pm and lasted until 5:30am. Then the jack hammers started at 7am. And in a room with no AC. I did have a two fireplaces in the suite for those chilly Singapore nights.

Altogether a disaster. I won't return.
Reading through the threads it appears you were there early on. I was there last January and then in March. No issues for me, at least.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
On FBH Singapore

Reading through the threads it appears you were there early on. I was there last January and then in March. No issues for me, at least.
The stay was June of 2012. This seems to be a good two years after they opened.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'd just don't think it's a five stars hotel. Service is slow and a bit arrogant. Lighting system is the worst I've had... Needed to go to the entrance to turn on/off the light of the bathroom is really not easy and the space in the toilets is really tiny. I love the works of Andre Fu but when he designed the FBH, it seems he wasn't at his best (He's done a much better work at The Upper House HK) and regarding the cleanliness, it wasn't perfect... Jacuzzi on the terrace doesn't work and when we asked to the girl showing us the room, she doesn't know how to make it working and when we called for the terrible noise, they really didn't care at all. Honestly, it was one of the most terrible hotel experience of our life and even more when you consider you pay quite a lot for such an average place.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...tml#post796712
unfortunately requires registration for photos

did you ask hotel about changing rooms?
When I've decided to call the reception it was already 1am and was really tired from my flight from Europe. Moreover, I've had an early wake up at 5am so changing of room should have been very tiring as well.Moreover, I guess in a 5 stars hotel they have to anticipate, if not it means it's not a 5 stars and the only thing the reception told me is the noise was not coming from their hotel so clearly they didn't really care... Horrible place to stay.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF CL
Best spa?

Which luxury hotel has the best spa?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Which luxury hotel has the best spa?
I have not been to any spa in Singapore that struck me as particularly good.

My friends did a couples thing at the newish Marina Bay and they liked it but I think it was more for the "bling" factor than the actual quality of the spa.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have not been to any spa in Singapore that struck me as particularly good.

My friends did a couples thing at the newish Marina Bay and they liked it but I think it was more for the "bling" factor than the actual quality of the spa.
Hmm, it seems Singapore luxury hotels don't stand out for anything much at all!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:36 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Nice views? LOL...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am usually quite happy with the valley wing at the Shangri-La however I do agree Singapore would not be my first stop on a luxury hotel trip.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Agreed.

I love singapore for itself but the hotels are not hugely burnt in my mind. My last visit with 3 nights at the St Regis in a st Astor suite was mediocre. Yes nice but not worth the cash. This is my first and although will not say last St Regis it gave me a very bad impression of the brand. 30 mins to check in at 1500 is simply not good enough.

That said I have read and heard many good things about the Capella. This would be my choice next time. Thoughts !!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dewby
That said I have read and heard many good things about the Capella. This would be my choice next time. Thoughts !!
Location is not very convenient unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.