Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
It seems right now the situation has calmed down a little bit, with talks probably happening behind the curtains.

I'd say given 4.12. is a sunday (I really don't understand that Month/Date schedule you Americans use ) chances are slightly better that all goes fine. After all, pilots don't want to hurt their own plans
I wonder if this latest offer has given the Union just enough to be able to avoid any strikes during the holiday season while saving face? As I understand it they generally avoid striking during the holiday season and now they have their justification.

I hope so anyway as they're taking me back to europe on 12th...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by nallison
As I understand it they generally avoid striking during the holiday season and now they have their justification.

I think otherwise. They went on strike right before Thanksgiving holiday weekend & now they have time to discuss the new offer before Christmas holidays. I won't be surprised that if things do not go well during these discussions, then we could see more strikes right around Christmas time.

BTW, I'm slated to fly JFK-FRA-BOM on Dec 15th. So hoping that there are no strikes during that period.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Redhat72
I think otherwise. They went on strike right before Thanksgiving holiday weekend & now they have time to discuss the new offer before Christmas holidays. I won't be surprised that if things do not go well during these discussions, then we could see more strikes right around Christmas time.

BTW, I'm slated to fly JFK-FRA-BOM on Dec 15th. So hoping that there are no strikes during that period.
Oh yeh I know, sorry I should have been clearer, I was referring to the holiday season in Germany which begins with the holiday on the 8th I believe. The logic I've seen for this is that a) strikes create a lot of work for the union which they'd rather avoid during holiday time and b) striking during christmas may be a step too far for the German public.

We'll see I guess. Fingers crossed for your flight too, and happy December
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Oh yeh I know, sorry I should have been clearer, I was referring to the holiday season in Germany which begins with the holiday on the 8th I believe.
Very interesting.....what is on the 8th of December?

I seriously doubt the union was even aware of Thanksgiving - same as the start of the holiday season on the 8th

Don't forget there are more unions that are getting ready to go on strike with the LH group...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:13 am

Oh yeh I know, sorry I should have been clearer, I was referring to the holiday season in Germany which begins with the holiday on the 8th I believe. The logic I've seen for this is that a) strikes create a lot of work for the union which they'd rather avoid during holiday time and b) striking during christmas may be a step too far for the German public.

We'll see I guess. Fingers crossed for your flight too, and happy December
What Holiday should be on the 8th of December?

Germany is "at full steam" just till before Christmas.

German holidays at winter/christmas/new year start usually just before Christmas, and last till after new year. Depending on the calendar, that means a few days ahead, or as in this case, most Children will have their last school day as late as the 23rd (Friday) - but the holidays lasting very long into January (till the 8th..)

That's also true for Switzerland.

Basically, life is much "shut down" in that period. Heavy travels before Christmas and this year probably a bit later in January.

Usually I booked those pre-Christmas/after new-year flights with TK, it was like 80%+ Op-Up ratio
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for the input. I am monitoring developments due to upcoming travel.

Was thinking, it might be helpful, to create a Wiki outlining dates of strike as there are being announced.
This would make it a bit easier, than to search this thread for any new annoucements.

Maybe mods can look into that ?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Maybe mods can look into that ?
You can add a wikipost to this thread and compile the information... no mod intervention required
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Will my CLT-MUC flight this Sunday be affected?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Not sure why you believe anybody on here can answer this question at this time

There might be a strike on Sunday
If so:
it might involve long-haul or might not
it might involve Munich or might not
If both of these apply, then:
Your flight CLT-MUC on Sunday might be cancelled or it might not.

The answer to all of these questions will emerge at earliest 24 hours before your flight, but from past behaviour/experience if your flight is not cancelled by this time, you should be OK
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Rumor of another strike?

Heard from a few UA gate agents here in IAD that LH pilots are planning another possible strike in mid-December.

I was under the impression that a tentative agreement had been reached? Does this rumor have any grain of truth? Can the pilots strike again? Sorry I haven't been following things.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24
Heard from a few UA gate agents here in IAD that LH pilots are planning another possible strike in mid-December.

I was under the impression that a tentative agreement had been reached? Does this rumor have any grain of truth? Can the pilots strike again? Sorry I haven't been following things.
no agreement, just LH giving them an offer to chew on. If there's no agreement to negotiate, I fully expect them to screw with Xmas (because the Union is the proxy of Satan so they don't like X-mas to begin with...)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
no agreement, just LH giving them an offer to chew on. If there's no agreement to negotiate, I fully expect them to screw with Xmas (because the Union is the proxy of Satan so they don't like X-mas to begin with...)
The pilots would get to spend quality time at home with their families during the holidays while LH slowly dives into bankruptcy, the pilots will get paid off from the asset sale and then start working as pilots for the new holding company, called LH or whatever. They don't care at all about the company nor passengers, it's all about the money and yes, I would expect another strike(s) unfortunately.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
It's a bit late for me to see this thread. We were booked to fly LH 11/24. I began a new thread to prepare for options as we got closer to our return flight.
If I had been monitoring LH forum it would have been weeks of anxiety before our trip. As it was, LH had proactively rebooked us on UA so there was no delay. Disappointing product compared to LH; routing through LHR (ugh!) but on the positive we landed about 1/2 hr. ahead of schedule. This was a much different experience than last Sept. when we were stuck overnight in BOS because of another LH strike.

The LH flight home was lovely. Crew was very attentive and the seat configuration much better than the UA 777 we had on the way over.

Don't shoot the messenger on this next part. I'm merely passing along what a FA told me. We were talking about the strike and she said it wasn't just over wages.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Christmas (please keep x for x-ray ) is a non-strike time. First of it, much less flights are scheduled so a strike wouldn't have much impact, second, pilots want to be home too

So IF there is a strike before christmas going to happen, it would be either next week or the week after. Otherwise, probably the earliest after the Heilige Drei Könige day (Holy 3 Kings day, 6th January), ie the week after that (Monday 9th) - since that will be the week when all offices etc. will be on "full steam" again.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I've read somewhere (can't remember where but will try and find) that there will be no strike on 24-26 December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.