Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Carry-on Baggage for OneWorld Sapphires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

I just booked a roundtrip using Avios on LAN from LIM-CUZ and then a one-way from LIM-EZE on the same day we return from CUZ. I am a OneWorld Sapphire (AA Plat) and will be traveling biz class on the LIM-EZE leg (unfortunately only basic economy is offered on the trip to CUZ). I've been reading about some gate bag police issues with LAN and am just curious if anyone has encountered similar issues on any of the flights I will be taking. I have not checked a bag since I was 11 (just turned 29) and spent 3 weeks traveling SE Asia. Needless to say the thought of having to check a bag just never sits right with me.

I did see that my OneWorld Sapphire status should give me an extra 15 kgs (in addition to the 7kgs LAN offers for a total of 23 kgs), but the website (link - http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance ) doesn't specify whether this is for carry-on baggage or checked baggage. I have two relatively tight connections (2 hours or so to catch the train to Machu Picchu after arriving in CUZ and 2 hours or so to catch my flight to EZE back in LIM), so if I can avoid having any issues with the baggage police, I would definitely like to.

Any advice or insights on this?

Last edited by aves17; Apr 2, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:58 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Given the link you posted refers to 23kg and a "second bag," I think it is pretty clear that the extra allowance refers to checked baggage.

There are indeed gate bag police "patrolling" your hand luggage at LIM. Regular LAN cabin baggage rules apply and there is no OneWorld web page that you will be able to hold up to them.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Given the link you posted refers to 23kg and a "second bag," I think it is pretty clear that the extra allowance refers to checked baggage.

There are indeed gate bag police "patrolling" your hand luggage at LIM. Regular LAN cabin baggage rules apply and there is no OneWorld web page that you will be able to hold up to them.
Thanks JohnnyColombia. The part of the link I posted that I'm referencing is the "On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system you receive 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance" part. LAN's policy says 17 kgs for a carry on for econ pax, so I'm curious if this extra 15 kgs applies to carry on bags or just checked baggage. I will most certainly be under 33 kgs with my carry on if the additional 15 kgs applies to carry-ons. I will likely print a copy of that page in both Spanish and English to show them at the gate to try and make my case if it becomes an issue.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by aves17
Thanks JohnnyColombia. The part of the link I posted that I'm referencing is the "On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system you receive 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance" part. LAN's policy says 17 kgs for a carry on for econ pax, so I'm curious if this extra 15 kgs applies to carry on bags or just checked baggage. I will most certainly be under 33 kgs with my carry on if the additional 15 kgs applies to carry-ons. I will likely print a copy of that page in both Spanish and English to show them at the gate to try and make my case if it becomes an issue.
I don't think it is going to wash. Your flights are not subject to the "weight" system but rather the "piece" system. Where a piece may weigh up to 23kg and this refers to checked baggage. You are allowed 2 pieces each up to 23kg and this is checked baggage. I think this is quite easy to follow, I don't know whether you are wilfully looking for an obtuse interpretation of a sentence which does not apply to your flight, but I don't fancy your chances of making your case at LIM, printout or no printout.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I don't think it is going to wash. Your flights are not subject to the "weight" system but rather the "piece" system. Where a piece may weigh up to 23kg and this refers to checked baggage. You are allowed 2 pieces each up to 23kg and this is checked baggage. I think this is quite easy to follow, I don't know whether you are wilfully looking for an obtuse interpretation of a sentence which does not apply to your flight, but I don't fancy your chances of making your case at LIM, printout or no printout.
I seem to have offended you somehow with my question/response, which was not my intention. I am a lawyer by trade, so when I see something that appears to offer multiple interpretations (which I believe this does), I am compelled to ask the questions. I have never encountered an airline that operates with a weight limit on carry on baggage (size and number limitations, absolutely). I understand your interpretation that this falls under the piece system rather than the weight system and I appreciate your insights and experiences on that point. I was merely looking for some clarification from a great resource.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:31 pm

I'm certainly not offended, sorry if it came across that way. I just feel it is a little fruitless. It is not me or anyone on FT that needs to be convinced, it is those LAN baggage police that you speak of. You do not really have a case to make by printing out a web page and arguing on technicalities.

A better strategy (in my experience with them) would be to get in their faces and tell them why you feel it is necessary to have so much cabin baggage.

e.g. "I just arrived from Madrid on your 767, do you know how cold it is on that flight? Do you? That's how come I needed to pack 5 coats in hand baggage"

or "Seriously? You think I am checking bags after you lost it for 3 weeks in Quito last time I flew LAN?"
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OP
The times I've seen the Bag Nazis they tend to be mostly hitting the non-elite/business line. As a Sapphire you get the Priority line so getting there close to the actual boarding time so you should be able to get by the Bag Nazis since they're dealing with the scrum of the little people.

JC
Are you sure they aren't looking for your silverware collection?

Of course it's LAN so YMMV!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I have never encountered an airline that operates with a weight limit on carry on baggage
There are plenty.

LAN of course http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...aggage-policy/

Air Canada http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html

Alitalia http://www.alitalia.com/us_en/Inform...gli/index.html

Lufthansa http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Carry-on-baggage

And there are many others.
Whether they enforce it is another matter.

Back to LAN.
They do have a weight limit on carry ons (8kg). As posted above, we are not trying to convince any jury with arguments here. The LAN personnel INDEED enforces the carry on weight limit rule and they are very strict about it when they do.
No exceptions for elites.

As simple as that.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttuna3
OP
The times I've seen the Bag Nazis they tend to be mostly hitting the non-elite/business line. As a Sapphire you get the Priority line so getting there close to the actual boarding time so you should be able to get by the Bag Nazis since they're dealing with the scrum of the little people.

JC
Are you sure they aren't looking for your silverware collection?

Of course it's LAN so YMMV!
I was thinking along the same lines that I would get to the gate close to the actual boarding time. Or just continue to bob and weave, bob and weave, haha. It's good to know they offer the Priority line as well.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
There are plenty.

LAN of course http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...aggage-policy/

Air Canada http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html

Alitalia http://www.alitalia.com/us_en/Inform...gli/index.html

Lufthansa http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Carry-on-baggage

And there are many others.
Whether they enforce it is another matter.

Back to LAN.
They do have a weight limit on carry ons (8kg). As posted above, we are not trying to convince any jury with arguments here. The LAN personnel INDEED enforces the carry on weight limit rule and they are very strict about it when they do.
No exceptions for elites.

As simple as that.
Maybe I should have worded that better and said I've yet to experience an airline that actively enforces the weight limit on carry-ons. I flew Lufthansa many years ago with my same roller bag I have currently and never had an issue with them weighing it. Of course it's a YMMV situation no doubt.

Beside the point though. I guess I will just have to roll the dice and see what happens. If it has to be checked, it has to be checked. I'm really only concerned about the flight from LIM to CUZ as I have a biz class flight on LAN once I get back to LIM, so I should be allowed the higher biz class carry-on weight from what I've read.

Great information all and all very much appreciated!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
LAN limit is 8kg for carry on, they will check the weight at check in, and sometimes they will give you a tag like "carry on/checked/hand bag". If you do the OLCI, they GA may notice you don't have the "tag".

The are few Airlines that will check the total weight of your luggage (carry on+checked), usually on small planes/short flights.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fedechat
LAN limit is 8kg for carry on, they will check the weight at check in, and sometimes they will give you a tag like "carry on/checked/hand bag". If you do the OLCI, they GA may notice you don't have the "tag".
I actually just downloaded the LAN app for my phone last night to help avoid the ticket counter. Sounds like the lack of a baggage tag is going to give me away pretty quickly.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I have two relatively tight connections (2 hours or so to catch the train to Machu Picchu after arriving in CUZ and 2 hours or so to catch my flight to EZE back in LIM), so if I can avoid having any issues with the baggage police, I would definitely like to.

Any advice or insights on this?
Advice or insights? Yes.

First, are you sure you want to fly to CUZ and immediately run to take the train to Machu Pichu? I assume you are sleeping in Machu Pichu and not doing a day trip, otherwise I don't think you want to haul all your luggage to Machu Pichu just for a day trip.

Second, you don't want to be running around when you arrive in Cuzco. Cuzco is at a very high altitude and it is recommended that you limit physical activity on your first day in order to get used to the altitude and don't get sick. That rush to get from the airport to the train station might hit you and you may get altitude sickness and have a miserable first day in Cuzco. It is no joke. It is not like going to Aspen. (Aspen is 8000 ft, Cuzco is 11,000 ft high). Have some pills or a coca tea.

Back to LAN, all you can do really is stay far away from the gate, since the gate can be patrolled by the GA looking for overweight carry ons to be checked. Of course, avoid the counters. Only get there right at boarding time and rush through the "Preferente Line."

Final advice, get travel insurance. It will cost you probably ~$60 and it covers delayed or lost baggage among other things. If you have to check your carry on AND you miss the train or flight or the bag gets lost or delayed, you can always count on the insurance to get your money back. I have a yearly plan (~$100) and it works very nicely and never have had a charge questioned when I have had to buy clothes and others when bag is delayed or hotel night stays when I missed flights due to airline/weather delays.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Trying to beat the carry on rules usually results in tears and stress. I'd be more worried about delays into and out of CUZ. These can be substantial if the weather gods don't behave. I'd also not assume any assumptions of "the law" according to North American values may not be seen in the same light by a LAN person if they don't like you - especially if you have paper print outs and a loud voice.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Advice or insights? Yes.

First, are you sure you want to fly to CUZ and immediately run to take the train to Machu Pichu? I assume you are sleeping in Machu Pichu and not doing a day trip, otherwise I don't think you want to haul all your luggage to Machu Pichu just for a day trip.

Second, you don't want to be running around when you arrive in Cuzco. Cuzco is at a very high altitude and it is recommended that you limit physical activity on your first day in order to get used to the altitude and don't get sick. That rush to get from the airport to the train station might hit you and you may get altitude sickness and have a miserable first day in Cuzco. It is no joke. It is not like going to Aspen. (Aspen is 8000 ft, Cuzco is 11,000 ft high). Have some pills or a coca tea.

Back to LAN, all you can do really is stay far away from the gate, since the gate can be patrolled by the GA looking for overweight carry ons to be checked. Of course, avoid the counters. Only get there right at boarding time and rush through the "Preferente Line."

Final advice, get travel insurance. It will cost you probably ~$60 and it covers delayed or lost baggage among other things. If you have to check your carry on AND you miss the train or flight or the bag gets lost or delayed, you can always count on the insurance to get your money back. I have a yearly plan (~$100) and it works very nicely and never have had a charge questioned when I have had to buy clothes and others when bag is delayed or hotel night stays when I missed flights due to airline/weather delays.
We are actually contemplating just making Machu Picchu a day trip from Cuzco so we're not running to catch the train (and in case the weather gods are upset on the day we leave LIM). I have travel insurance through my Amex Platinum card and they have been spot on so far (only had to use it once thankfully, but no questions asked and everything was fully reimbursed), but absolutely some good advice!

Originally Posted by og
Trying to beat the carry on rules usually results in tears and stress. I'd be more worried about delays into and out of CUZ. These can be substantial if the weather gods don't behave. I'd also not assume any assumptions of "the law" according to North American values may not be seen in the same light by a LAN person if they don't like you - especially if you have paper print outs and a loud voice.
Oh I have little doubt I'll get popped and have to check my bag. I utilize the Hilton mantra when traveling - Have no expectations and you will never be disappointed with what you get, haha.

I find killing the GA's with kindness works better than anything. Those GA's have to deal with some real a-holes and I always try very hard to not be "one of those travelers". I don't have any intentions of getting loud or obnoxious and my only intention with the print out would be to feign ignorance and say I thought it applied to my carry on. I'll always try to kill em with kindness, but I'm never above feigning ignorance in hopes of getting something good
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BA
Is this a different LAN to the one I've been flying? I have never had my carryons weighed. (Yet...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.