FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAN Carry-on Baggage for OneWorld Sapphires?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:56 am
aves17

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Advice or insights? Yes.

First, are you sure you want to fly to CUZ and immediately run to take the train to Machu Pichu? I assume you are sleeping in Machu Pichu and not doing a day trip, otherwise I don't think you want to haul all your luggage to Machu Pichu just for a day trip.

Second, you don't want to be running around when you arrive in Cuzco. Cuzco is at a very high altitude and it is recommended that you limit physical activity on your first day in order to get used to the altitude and don't get sick. That rush to get from the airport to the train station might hit you and you may get altitude sickness and have a miserable first day in Cuzco. It is no joke. It is not like going to Aspen. (Aspen is 8000 ft, Cuzco is 11,000 ft high). Have some pills or a coca tea.

Back to LAN, all you can do really is stay far away from the gate, since the gate can be patrolled by the GA looking for overweight carry ons to be checked. Of course, avoid the counters. Only get there right at boarding time and rush through the "Preferente Line."

Final advice, get travel insurance. It will cost you probably ~$60 and it covers delayed or lost baggage among other things. If you have to check your carry on AND you miss the train or flight or the bag gets lost or delayed, you can always count on the insurance to get your money back. I have a yearly plan (~$100) and it works very nicely and never have had a charge questioned when I have had to buy clothes and others when bag is delayed or hotel night stays when I missed flights due to airline/weather delays.
We are actually contemplating just making Machu Picchu a day trip from Cuzco so we're not running to catch the train (and in case the weather gods are upset on the day we leave LIM). I have travel insurance through my Amex Platinum card and they have been spot on so far (only had to use it once thankfully, but no questions asked and everything was fully reimbursed), but absolutely some good advice!

Originally Posted by og
Trying to beat the carry on rules usually results in tears and stress. I'd be more worried about delays into and out of CUZ. These can be substantial if the weather gods don't behave. I'd also not assume any assumptions of "the law" according to North American values may not be seen in the same light by a LAN person if they don't like you - especially if you have paper print outs and a loud voice.
Oh I have little doubt I'll get popped and have to check my bag. I utilize the Hilton mantra when traveling - Have no expectations and you will never be disappointed with what you get, haha.

I find killing the GA's with kindness works better than anything. Those GA's have to deal with some real a-holes and I always try very hard to not be "one of those travelers". I don't have any intentions of getting loud or obnoxious and my only intention with the print out would be to feign ignorance and say I thought it applied to my carry on. I'll always try to kill em with kindness, but I'm never above feigning ignorance in hopes of getting something good