Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
To revive this old thread --

What is the current situation regarding foreigners buying domestic Chilean flights: is it still cheaper to buy them "inside" Chile and, if so, where?

I'm at the early stages of planning a trip to Chile for next year, and I want to compare the cost of buying a domestic ticket vs. an Avios redemption.

Thanks.
Just try pricing on lan.cl and see what you come up with.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
When I bought mine recently, I had to book on lan.cl and get the PNR, but pay on the Canadian site by looking up the PNR (I assume US site works too)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just try pricing on lan.cl and see what you come up with.
Originally Posted by ericw
When I bought mine recently, I had to book on lan.cl and get the PNR, but pay on the Canadian site by looking up the PNR (I assume US site works too)
So there have been no recent problems with gringos using LAN Chile tickets bought on the lan.cl website? The law is still the same -- anyone can use them (unlike the situation in Peru)?

I'm tinkering with an itinerary where I'm confronted by 3 domestic Chile flight options: 1) include them in an AAdvantage award ticket from (where inventory is restricted, and no stopovers are allowed); 2) use Avios points for domestic Chile travel (but some of the longer flights are fairly expensive in points); or 3) just buy the tickets on the lan.cl site (the USA site prices are ridiculous).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If you can find Avios redemption availability, then I suggest calling AA and book it with AAdvantage miles (the one-way redemption rate for domestic Chile travel is 6k miles). Our upcoming SCL - PUQ flight cost 6k AA miles + $11.60 USD taxes per person.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
If you can find Avios redemption availability, then I suggest calling AA and book it with AAdvantage miles (the one-way redemption rate for domestic Chile travel is 6k miles). Our upcoming SCL - PUQ flight cost 6k AA miles + $11.60 USD taxes per person.
Thanks. That's a great (and unexpected) deal -- especially since most of the popular Chile routes are longer than 650 miles and not super-cheap using Avios. And one-way purchased tickets are expensive on LAN -- it seems like they want you to travel roundtrip to get the cheapo fares.

Did you book the one-way award in the same rez as your USA-Chile trip? Otherwise, did they want to charge you the $35 ticket agent fee?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Did you book the one-way award in the same rez as your USA-Chile trip? Otherwise, did they want to charge you the $35 ticket agent fee?
My notes indicate that we paid a $25 telephone service charge. Did they raise that now to $35? I don't know anyway to avoid the fee....but tbh, it doesn't upset me very much given that they still permit date/time changes for free. And unlike BAEC, AA is open 24/7 in case we need to make such changes.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Jan 4, 2015 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
So there have been no recent problems with gringos using LAN Chile tickets bought on the lan.cl website? ... still the same -- anyone can use them (unlike the situation in Peru)?
No, in fact recent reports indicate they no longer seem to be blocking or redirecting access from North America.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
My notes indicate that we paid a $25 telephone service charge. Did they raise that now to $35? I don't know anyway to avoid the fee....but tbh, it doesn't upset me very much given that they still permit date/time changes for free. And unlike BAEC, AA is open 24/7 in case we need to make such changes.
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
No, in fact recent reports indicate they no longer seem to be blocking or redirecting access from North America.
From speaking with AA rez, it seems like you could add an internal Chilean flight to a US-Chile rez that you plan on ticketing by just paying the 6000 miles and taxes -- no additional booking fee. That's a good deal -- if you can find award availability. I'm looking at ba.com, and it looks very hit or miss (almost random).

There are some very cheap Chile domestic LAN fares (if you buy them in Chilean pesos, of course). But they seem to all require roundtrip purchase, which is less advantageous if you have an award ticket to Chile and just want to create a stopover by purchasing a one-way domestic ticket. Has anyone recently bought a ticket with their competitor, Sky? I haven't flown them in years, but I'm guessing their ticketing rules are less restrictive.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
There are some very cheap Chile domestic LAN fares (if you buy them in Chilean pesos, of course). But they seem to all require roundtrip purchase, which is less advantageous if you have an award ticket to Chile and just want to create a stopover by purchasing a one-way domestic ticket. Has anyone recently bought a ticket with their competitor, Sky? I haven't flown them in years, but I'm guessing their ticketing rules are less restrictive.
I just so happen to have been checking on Sky fares this morning, for a friend who wants to fly SCL-Valdivia. Turns out Sky seems to adopt LAN's policy of charging a premium for one-way travel. Round-trip ticket March 11-18 can be purchased for USD$138, whereas a one-way (Mar 11) would cost $132.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
I just so happen to have been checking on Sky fares this morning, for a friend who wants to fly SCL-Valdivia. Turns out Sky seems to adopt LAN's policy of charging a premium for one-way travel. Round-trip ticket March 11-18 can be purchased for USD$138, whereas a one-way (Mar 11) would cost $132.
Yeah, I just tinkered a little with the Sky website, and one-ways are usually more expensive than the roundtrip fares. That said, many of the Sky fares seem dirt cheap to me, so this would be a good deal for some. Sky seems to even give you a free checked bag if you want it.

For me, though, I think I'm just going to give AA an extra 12000 miles for 2 Chilean stopovers. Using the BA website, I was able to find LAN flights that work for me. And by adding it to my USA-Chile award rez, there's no additional $35 ticketing fee. Seems easy and cheap, and I can even change my travel dates if I want to without additional fees.

But it's sure nice to have various good travel options! With the end of the Chile visa fee for Americans, and a favorable exchange rate, Chile seems like a good, easy and affordable travel destination for Americans right now. That said, doing things like finding LAN award flights to book with AA isn't a rookie travel move.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:08 am

This still seems to be a problem on the LAN.CL site...USA is not an option when you enter your passport and the issuing country for the credit card does not have USA available.

Has anyone had success using a Chile based VPN?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ericw
After getting your PNR, did you use a canadian VPN in conjunction with the canadian Lan site?

Last edited by bg26892; Jan 10, 2015 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by bg26892
This still seems to be a problem on the LAN.CL site...USA is not an option when you enter your passport and the issuing country for the credit card does not have USA available.

Has anyone had success using a Chile based VPN?

Thanks!
No need for VPN. Remember Chile is a Spanish speaking country, the menus are in Spanish, choose "Estados Unidos".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
No need for VPN. Remember Chile is a Spanish speaking country, the menus are in Spanish, choose "Estados Unidos".

Finally got it done. Oddly on my PC, "USA" does not show up for a credit card issuing country. On a MAC it showed up between two random countries in the middle of the long list...somehow it wasn't in alpha order.

Thanks!

Last edited by bg26892; Jan 11, 2015 at 1:28 am Reason: changes
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:01 am

LAN flt from SCL to Easter island

i am trying to book a flight from Sant. to easter island on LAN, the price is much cheaper in Pecos then Dollars, but it will not let me select US for passport.

Are these fares for Chile residents?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.