Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Just a data point to add to the thread. Using Chrome Incognito, I just booked CJC (Calama)-SCL for $30 less a ticket than the US Site, and that's including checking a bag. No problems at all with my U.S. issued Chase Sapphire.

Chris
Thanks. I need to buy tickets to Punta Arenas from SCL in a few months, and I'm kind of dreading the experience. Any experiences with JetSmart yet? And has anyone had any recent success redeeming for LATAM award seats within Chile from their partner airlines? I'm wondering if a Punta Arenas flight might make sense to use miles in some program (probably not, but I'm still wondering!).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. I need to buy tickets to Punta Arenas from SCL in a few months, and I'm kind of dreading the experience. Any experiences with JetSmart yet? And has anyone had any recent success redeeming for LATAM award seats within Chile from their partner airlines? I'm wondering if a Punta Arenas flight might make sense to use miles in some program (probably not, but I'm still wondering!).
That flight can be had on LATAM for less than a hundred USD, IMO not a good use of miles, but you would earn some for the price/distance.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
That flight can be had on LATAM for less than a hundred USD, IMO not a good use of miles, but you would earn some for the price/distance.
Right, I've had good luck finding cheapo domestic Chilean LATAM tickets, but for my last flight they weren't so cheap and I had to fly Sky. Not horrible (well, actually pretty bad, but so is domestic Chile LATAM these days), but everything else equal, I'd pick LATAM. Are there any ways to spot LATAM "sales," or should I just watch Sky's website and look for LATAM to discount at the same time? Also, any experience with JetSmart?

This trip is pretty far, and I need 3 tickets, so it's worth my time to try to get the best price.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by iahphx
Right, I've had good luck finding cheapo domestic Chilean LATAM tickets, but for my last flight they weren't so cheap and I had to fly Sky. Not horrible (well, actually pretty bad, but so is domestic Chile LATAM these days), but everything else equal, I'd pick LATAM. Are there any ways to spot LATAM "sales," or should I just watch Sky's website and look for LATAM to discount at the same time? Also, any experience with JetSmart?

This trip is pretty far, and I need 3 tickets, so it's worth my time to try to get the best price.
I have not flown JetSmart yet. Guess you could try reviewing all notification options on each site as LATAM Chile occasionally sends me instant sale (like Happy Hour, or 24 hour) notifications.

And then there is the exchange rate which is now working against you. That $96 dollar PUQ flight was $79 when I booked it six monhs ago at a much more favorable exchange rate.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
I have not flown JetSmart yet. Guess you could try reviewing all notification options on each site as LATAM Chile occasionally sends me instant sale (like Happy Hour, or 24 hour) notifications.

And then there is the exchange rate which is now working against you. That $96 dollar PUQ flight was $79 when I booked it six monhs ago at a much more favorable exchange rate.
Good idea, I guess I should sign up for LATAM-Chile emails. I'll see if I can do the same for Sky and JetSmart. I did notice that the dollar seemed to be worth about 10% less against the Chilean peso from my last visit a few months ago. That's not as bad as some currencies: in 10 weeks the dollar declined 20% against the South African rand! Some travellers are going to be shocked. A shame about Chile, though, because even at 670 pesos to the dollar, Chile often didn't seem like a great deal for Americans (when you consider the relative economic conditions of each country). Now it might feel expensive! I did see some crazy LATAM fares to Punta Arenas at off-peak times, though: like $88 roundtrip. Not yet loaded for the days I wanted to travel, though, and some of the flights were at 2 am!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:42 pm

For the record: I did not have any problem booking domestic flights through both Sky's and LATAM's websites using a foreign Mastercard for payment and a foreign passport as an ID. I chose prices in CLP throughout the process. Booking was done in Spanish. Final prices per person for SCL-ZCO one-way were CLP 12,990 with Sky and CLP 7,900 with LATAM (plus taxes plus CLP 7.990 or CLP 9.990 respectively per checked piece of luggage). No need for any masquerading.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi all.
New to the Chilean forums. Got our first ever trip to Chile next year. Have been going through the forums for advice on booking internal flights and also to IPC. I assume these are point of sale tickets, so not linked to Chilean citizens, unlike some other South American countries I have travelled in before.
Tried a dummy booking on LATAM Chile website and went all the way to payment page from the UK without any trouble. So will try to book it next week hopefully. Prefer LATAM since I am Oneworld Emerald but it appears that privileges vary in Chile!!
Not sure if anyone from the UK have done this booking before and any advice on booking will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:55 am

Wow it's Cyber Day and LATAM offer great prices.
SCL - PUQ for only $42058 (65USD) return in high season and many more.
You can bye it from Chilean site.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stenk75
Wow it's Cyber Day and LATAM offer great prices.
SCL - PUQ for only $42058 (65USD) return in high season and many more.
You can bye it from Chilean site.
As I think I posted a few weeks ago in another thread, domestic airfares in Chile (when purchased on the Chilean sites) are now crazy cheap most of the time. I booked Santiago-Punta Arenas tickets for about $80 roundtrip on LATAM. And I didn't go for the cheapest flights!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:00 pm

Unable to book biz fares

Trying to book Biz tickets on SCL-IPC (easter island). Oddly EF says there is J-class available as do seat maps (787 equipment). For some reason the LATAM chile site does not show any possible biz bookings. Google flights also shows no availability, nor do the Chilean TA sites suggested earlier on this forum. But oddly on momondo and priceline I can book Biz on the US site for substantially more. Anyone run into this issue where biz class does not show any availability on the Chilean site?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by mohrpj
Trying to book Biz tickets on SCL-IPC (easter island). Oddly EF says there is J-class available as do seat maps (787 equipment). For some reason the LATAM chile site does not show any possible biz bookings. Google flights also shows no availability, nor do the Chilean TA sites suggested earlier on this forum. But oddly on momondo and priceline I can book Biz on the US site for substantially more. Anyone run into this issue where biz class does not show any availability on the Chilean site?
Appears to be a POS issue. Using a Chilean point of sale yields no available seats, while using more expensive foreign POS gives the seat.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:19 pm

So interestingly it does show now for an hour or two a day. I could kick myself for not booking yesterday, but by the time I had all my info together it was gone. Came back online for about a half an hour today at higher prices, but now all gone again. So strange.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Use the "See Offers" button from this page and the tickets always show:
https://www.latam.com/en_uk/flights-destinations/

I've noticed accessing the booking process from other links is hit and miss.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
Another data point after a very aggravating experience trying to book SCL-IPC tickets. I eventually had luck with www.atrapalo.cl. Hope this helps someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.