Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
This is just a "suggestion" not an enforceable rule, LAN Chile knows it and their IT department obviously isn't competent enough to make their blocking or redirection work 24/7.

If you purchase a ticket from the LAN Chile version site, technically you are purchasing the ticket "in" Chile.

Thanks for the latest experience regarding this "try to gouge those outside of Chile" issue.
Would that work for RT AEP-FTE and AEP-IGR? Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:37 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by cutnana
Would that work for RT AEP-FTE and AEP-IGR? Thanks
Argentina domestic tickets sold by LAN's Argentina site are priced differently because they have some sort of government mandate. This is a different situation than the LAN's Chile domestic tickets that this thread mentions, which attempt to have point-of-sale restrictions.

There are some threads about this here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...l-gringos.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...orkaround.html
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Argentina domestic tickets sold by LAN's Argentina site are priced differently because they have some sort of government mandate. This is a different situation than the LAN's Chile domestic tickets that this thread mentions, which attempt to have point-of-sale restrictions.

There are some threads about this here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...l-gringos.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...orkaround.html
Thanks so much for your help. I did not find an answer in those threads. My question is if I buy on the Chilean website RT AEP-FTE and AEP IGR, will they be honored. Thanks

Last edited by cutnana; Aug 22, 2011 at 10:19 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:42 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I'd imagine that those fares would be honored, as the warning about the fares (for Argentina domestic tickets) being for residents only shows up on the Argentina site.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:03 pm

This looks interesting: http://www.centralchileservices.com/Ticket_Service.html
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It does look interesting, but I don't know if it would work for intra-Argentina, being Brian Kobashigawa, the website owner, is actually in Chile. Thiose interested can certainly check the name out as well as "BK's Proxy Ticket Service" using the tools available at hand.

Originally Posted by Danboyland
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
The variances in intra-Argentina flights will soon be a non-issue as the government subsidy to Argentine residents is being removed; going forward everyone will pay the same price.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:15 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Regardless whether one uses the Chile, España, or Other Countries website, does LAN ever offer "reasonably priced" o/w domestic fares?

Is there some trick to purchasing these that I'm missing?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LRD
Regardless whether one uses the Chile, España, or Other Countries website, does LAN ever offer "reasonably priced" o/w domestic fares?

Is there some trick to purchasing these that I'm missing?
I haven't seen them. Maybe when there's a critical mass of competencia, maybe SKY or PLUNA will start offering them, and LAN will match.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
I have just been checking LIM-LAX business class tickets for Sept. and have noted that LAN has raised their prices yet again for all dates.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlashba
The variances in intra-Argentina flights will soon be a non-issue as the government subsidy to Argentine residents is being removed; going forward everyone will pay the same price.
Did that actually happen: no more gringo-discrimination in intra Argentina?

Of course, other high prices in Argentina are currently causing me to avoid visiting.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OK to purchase via Chile site

Hello, I'm flying to PUQ with 3 of my friends from SCL. The US rate is $458 and the Chilean rate is $149. My friend, who's Taiwanese, went ahead and booked from Chilean site & was able to book round trip tix for $149. Is this legal? I am willing to follow my friend's lead in order to save $300 / ticket. I just don't want to encounter problems on the day of the flight. My two other friends are US citizens and I'm Filipino citizen. Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crismanila77
Hello, I'm flying to PUQ with 3 of my friends from SCL. The US rate is $458 and the Chilean rate is $149. My friend, who's Taiwanese, went ahead and booked from Chilean site & was able to book round trip tix for $149. Is this legal? I am willing to follow my friend's lead in order to save $300 / ticket. I just don't want to encounter problems on the day of the flight. My two other friends are US citizens and I'm Filipino citizen. Thank you.
Unless the website tells you that you must be a Chilean national, it's completel legal. LAN does impose this requirement in some countries it operates in (like Ecuador, Argentina, and Peru). I don't think I've ever seen this requirement for Chilean flights, so you should be good to go.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Correct. LAN Chile air fares have no residency requirements and I believe it would be illegal in Chile to do so.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To revive this old thread --

What is the current situation regarding foreigners buying domestic Chilean flights: is it still cheaper to buy them "inside" Chile and, if so, where?

I'm at the early stages of planning a trip to Chile for next year, and I want to compare the cost of buying a domestic ticket vs. an Avios redemption.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.