Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN upgrade with kms & coupons fare classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:55 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

LAN uses the following table to demonstrate which fare group codes can be upgraded with coupons.

But when searching for flights on booking sites, AA.com, Matrix etc. It always shows the single letter fare class rather than the LAN rate group code. I am going to attempt a "ready reckoner" that maps fare classes into upgradeable flights.

If any of it is wrong can you let me know, then I can leave it here for myself and anyone else that finds it useful so that I don't have to look it up each time I want to book a flight.

Fare classes in premium cabins (not upgradeable on a two cabin class flight)

Premium Economy P, W (A320 family)
Premium Business C, D, I, J (B767 and A340)
Already upgraded U

Fare classes upgradeable with elite upgrade coupons (LAN rate groups LE, FX and FF)

Y, B, H, K, L, M, V and T (Economy reward travel)

Fare classes not upgradeable with elite upgrade coupons (LAN rate groups CK and SP)

G, N, O, Q, S, X*

Fare classes upgradeable with LANpass kms

Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, G, N, O, Q, S, X*

*X added to these fare classes, it seems to be an even deeper discount than O spotted on LA LIM SCL and XL GYE MAD

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Jan 4, 2012 at 11:45 pm
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Ooo, well done, very useful! Hope this gets a sticky on the new LAN forum jeje

All that with the caveat that upgrades (with KMs anyway) books into Business as “U”. That is, if no U available, no upgrade possible... at least I think. Thinking also that U is fare class for Lanpass KM redemption tix in Business.

Have also seen X but can't remember about it.

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Jul 30, 2011 at 7:23 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
The way I understand it, you can only use your LanPass kms. for upgrades on LAN, not for other OW flights. Has this changed?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david_33
The way I understand it, you can only use your LanPass kms. for upgrades on LAN, not for other OW flights. Has this changed?
You are right and nothing has changed

http://www.lan.com/en_uk/sitio_perso...de_cabina.html

An Upgrade allows you to raise the service class of your LAN flight by one level.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
For the record, I did recently book an upgrade with kms from a Base (lowest) fare (in this case "Q") and the agent confirmed that the new policy is still in effect: no minimum fare when using kms to upgrade; minimum fare requirement only applies with coupon or Comodoro unlimited upgrade requests.
This is a great policy!^
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlashba
For the record, I did recently book an upgrade with kms from a Base (lowest) fare (in this case "Q") and the agent confirmed that the new policy is still in effect: no minimum fare when using kms to upgrade; minimum fare requirement only applies with coupon or Comodoro unlimited upgrade requests.
This is a great policy!^
I guess that would depend on where you are going and how much you value your kms

I haven't seen any kms upgrades that look like particularly decent value to me.

For example BOG LIM BOG is a 26,000kms reward and 24,000kms to upgrade a purchased fare. Is it really worth burning 24,000 kms on Premium Economy when it is enough kms to almost give you another flight to the same destination?

Last night I booked BOG MIA BOG. On the dates I wanted it was $519, or in Premium Business $666 a difference of $147

Upgrade with kms BOG MIA BOG is 50,000kms

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Jul 30, 2011 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:58 am

I only value kms as a way to upgrade ---- I would never use them for anything else. So I accept that a round trip upg from Y to J between EZE&JFK is 90k kms (to me that's their exact value). It does make a difference to me if I can pay the lowest possible fare and still process the upgrade though.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by phlashba
I only value kms as a way to upgrade ---- I would never use them for anything else.
Hmm, that might be a bit too black and white... have you thought about using km for economy tix and upgrade with coupons? It is the cheapest option.

An analysis NYC-LIM-NYC to prove the point... Remember these are red-eyes so I'll consider Business is the only good option. Remember, from June 1, 2011, you can use your upgrade coupons to apply for upgrades for tickets redeemed using LANPASS Kms. Remember odds for coupon upgrades favours Comodoro.

Economy revenue ticket is about $1k
Upgrading to Business costs 25k x 2 = 50k Lanpass km ($500 if km bought on sale).
Total: costs about $1500 and gives 12k Lanpass kms + bonus

Economy Lanpass ticket costs 48k Lanpass kms + $66 so about $500
Upgrade to Business using 4 Upgrade Coupons – free (but risky for red-eyes)
Total: about $500 and gives no Lanpass kms

Economy revenue ticket (in LE or higher) is about $1200
Use Comodoro unlimited upgrades – free (some risk)
Total: Costs $1200 and earns 12k Lanpass kms + bonus

Business Lanpass ticket costs 100k kms + $66
Total: Costs about $1k + and gives no Lanpass kms.

Business revenue ticket costs $3100
Total: Costs $3100 and earns 14k Lanpass kms + bonus

Summary (in order):

Econ T Lanpass tix plus coupon upgrade costs about $500 (earns no Lanpass kms)
Bus U Lanpass tix costs $1000+ (earns no Lanpass kms)
Econ LE+ revenue tix plus Comodoro upgrade costs about $1200 (earns 12k - 24k Lanpass kms)
Econ T revenue tix plus km upgrade costs about $1500 (earns 12k - 24k Lanpass kms)
Bus I revenue tix costs $3100 (earns 14k - 28k Lanpass kms)

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Jul 31, 2011 at 6:07 am
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:42 am

That's great analysis!
However in my case I need every qualifying km in order to maintain status. Doing two long-hauls to the U.S. on LAN per year is just enough when one of these is in paid J and the other paid Y with a kms upgrade. I then use the coupons for a traveling companion on short-hauls within South America.

Edited to add: My new policy started last year is ZERO risk when it comes to my upgrade ---- it MUST be confirmed in advance or I don't go. This is the main reason I don't like Comodoro.

Last edited by phlashba; Aug 4, 2011 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Just upgraded a MEX-LIM-BOG trip tomorrow with km (25,000 km one way). Just curious, for there to be upgradeable space available, would it show up under the "R" fare class, just as any reward ticket space would?

Before calling in to request the upgrade, I checked ExpertFlyer, and it showed J4 D4 I4 R1 for MEX-LIM. One hour after my call, I now see J3 D3 I3 R0.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
Just upgraded a MEX-LIM-BOG trip tomorrow with km (25,000 km one way). Just curious, for there to be upgradeable space available, would it show up under the "R" fare class, just as any reward ticket space would?

Before calling in to request the upgrade, I checked ExpertFlyer, and it showed J4 D4 I4 R1 for MEX-LIM. One hour after my call, I now see J3 D3 I3 R0.
Business Upgrade fare bucket is U. AFAIK R is not being used by LAN at all. In my experience using some availability tools there has been U available but on reality when calling LAN there is nothing available. This could be a POS related issue as well, since LAN is well known for varying availability based on your location
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Hi everyone. I have a few questions regarding Upgrades on LAN.
Which fare class (in business) is the one I should search in ExpertFlyer (or a site like that) to know if the flight I want, has availability to upgrade an economy seat to premium business?
How many upgrade seats does LAN release on each 767/787 flight? Is there a number?
Is there any way to know 100% for sure, before buying the economy ticket, that i'll be able to upgrade it?
All economy fares have the same upgrade chances on 767/787 flights?
Note: ALL upgrades im talking about, are upgrades with KMs.
Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by tuchop
Which fare class (in business) is the one I should search in ExpertFlyer (or a site like that) to know if the flight I want, has availability to upgrade an economy seat to premium business?
How many upgrade seats does LAN release on each 767/787 flight? Is there a number?
Is there any way to know 100% for sure, before buying the economy ticket, that i'll be able to upgrade it?
Thanks in advance!!
Hi tuchop. You need to find “U” fare for Biz upgrade. I know of no easy source (like EF) that shows U availability, but would love to be wrong about this*. Proxy would be to find date with lowest reward availability on a LanPass search.

If you have an eligible fare class as per OP and there is U space you can immediately request upgrade with KMs.

* (EF shows T and U for XL, but U has no value)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Poster

The upgrade class is U but I do not think it works on Expert Flyer. You can search on LAN. If a Premium Business seat is available then you can upgrade to it.

The answer to this question may well be zero. I was saving kms to upgrade LIM MAD and SCL AKL. In June I wanted to book my MAD LIM flights and there was not a single reward seat on that route between June and the end of 2014. Whilst on the phone I checked SCL AKL too and that was also zero seats.

I would not bank on being able to use kms for upgrades or Premium Business redemptions

Yes, search LAN.com for a J reward or call them and ask for upgrade awards then book your economy tix whilst making them wait on the phone. Then ask them for your upgrade.

Thanks in advance!!
For upgrades with kms, LAN does not differentiate between different economy fare buckets. If you can buy an economy ticket, and you can find a U seat, and you have the kms, then you can upgrade
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:31 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
know of no easy source (like EF) that shows U availability, but would love to be wrong about this*
KVS Tool supports all LA Award/Upgrade Booking Classes (incl. U AKA CS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.