FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAN upgrade with kms & coupons fare classes
Old Feb 15, 15, 6:06 am
JohnnyColombia
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by tuchop View Post
Hi everyone. I have a few questions regarding Upgrades on LAN.
Which fare class (in business) is the one I should search in ExpertFlyer (or a site like that) to know if the flight I want, has availability to upgrade an economy seat to premium business?
The upgrade class is U but I do not think it works on Expert Flyer. You can search on LAN. If a Premium Business seat is available then you can upgrade to it.

How many upgrade seats does LAN release on each 767/787 flight? Is there a number?
The answer to this question may well be zero. I was saving kms to upgrade LIM MAD and SCL AKL. In June I wanted to book my MAD LIM flights and there was not a single reward seat on that route between June and the end of 2014. Whilst on the phone I checked SCL AKL too and that was also zero seats.

I would not bank on being able to use kms for upgrades or Premium Business redemptions

Is there any way to know 100% for sure, before buying the economy ticket, that i'll be able to upgrade it?
Yes, search LAN.com for a J reward or call them and ask for upgrade awards then book your economy tix whilst making them wait on the phone. Then ask them for your upgrade.

All economy fares have the same upgrade chances on 767/787 flights?
Note: ALL upgrades im talking about, are upgrades with KMs.
Thanks in advance!!
For upgrades with kms, LAN does not differentiate between different economy fare buckets. If you can buy an economy ticket, and you can find a U seat, and you have the kms, then you can upgrade