Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Airlines Not for Us

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
As a parent of three we travel extensively and have always told our kids to behave in public domain. Numerous times we had stewardess walk up to us and commend on good behaviour of our kids. Last trip on AA we were complimented "Are your kids always so well behaved for a 12 hr flight"? Sorry to toot my own horn, all I can say its up to the parents.

Shame on parents who do not think of others.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
After being ignored by the parents and alerting the FA's, this is exactly what I would have done. I've told kids to shut the F up in lounges, theaters and airplanes, (without witnesses) and it usually scares them into submission

There is a comedy with a scene of a pax having his seat kicked by a kid and he turns around and threatens him with a pencil..... can't think of the film right now, but it definitely hit home!
Ha, Ha that happened to me once where the kicking was going on for at least half an hour and I politely asked the parents if they could tell their child if they please not do not (this child was old enough to know better). Eventually I just stood up, turned around and said in a loud voice to the kid that if he didn't stop that right now, I was going to have him arrested when he got off the plane (of course he didn't know that wasn't going to happen) but that stopped him promptly from doing it for the rest of the flight. Mother didn't say a word.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
So after having the lead FA informed in front of witnesses, why not self upgrade to a higher class ? If FA objects, point her back to the kids !
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kat007
They obviously didn`t care in two lounges at FRA. When I approached the staff with my complaint, they said they had to be diplomatic...
This is very, very, very unusual.

On my way back, in the lowly SEN lounge an incapable father {ethnic reference removed by moderator - unnecessary to make poster's point} let his terribly feral daughter zap around in the lounge. She did not even squeak, she just ran very large circles. The LD immediately first tried to intercept her then talked to him very harshly that it was his duty to contain the rascal. He spoke up, saying that kids have rights too ... and she told him that this would be his last offence in this lounge. One more round and they would both leave ^ .

Last edited by Moderator2; Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by chavala
There is a comedy with a scene of a pax having his seat kicked by a kid and he turns around and threatens him with a pencil..... can't think of the film right now, but it definitely hit home!
Kindergarten Cop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLEWjKdaaz0
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by specialeffects
As a parent of three we travel extensively and have always told our kids to behave in public domain. Numerous times we had stewardess walk up to us and commend on good behaviour of our kids. Last trip on AA we were complimented "Are your kids always so well behaved for a 12 hr flight"? Sorry to toot my own horn, all I can say its up to the parents.

Shame on parents who do not think of others.
+1

My son DOES squirm and kick the seat in front of him if it is within kicking distance. So my wife and I ALWAYS make sure to do one of the following:

1. Sit in a bulkhead row.
2. Sit in premium economy or extra-legroom seats where his feet won't reach the seat in front of him.
3. Fly business class where his legs cannot possibly reach the seat in front. (My son is quiet. His only problem is the squirming/kicking.)
4. If all else fails and we had to fly in Y, we would arrange our seats so that one of us is sitting in front of him (so that the only seat he kicks is our own).

No one should have to suffer through having their seats kicked repeatedly by kids. If the parents would put just a tiny bit of thought into their travel plans, this kind of thing could be completely avoided.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
Hilarious

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Ha, Ha that happened to me once where the kicking was going on for at least half an hour and I politely asked the parents if they could tell their child if they please not do not (this child was old enough to know better). Eventually I just stood up, turned around and said in a loud voice to the kid that if he didn't stop that right now, I was going to have him arrested when he got off the plane (of course he didn't know that wasn't going to happen) but that stopped him promptly from doing it for the rest of the flight. Mother didn't say a word.
LOL
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ricski64
You actually paid $1330 for an extra seat that no one sat in ??? Mom always said " Some people have more money than brains"
Wait, that means there was at least one seat not getting kicked. Why not sit there?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Wait, that means there was at least one seat not getting kicked. Why not sit there?
My guess is that the empty seat is the one between two seats that are being used. The whole purpose of having the extra seat is so that you won't be smushed up next to someone -- even your spouse -- for 14 hours.

It does seem they might have suggested that the kicking kid be moved to sit behind the empty seat, though.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by specialeffects
..have always told our kids to behave in public domain. Numerous times we had stewardess walk up to us and commend on good behaviour of our kids.
Most kids do behave really well actually. So do most babies.

I find the parents of the obnoxious ones usually even more obnoxious than the remaining brats though. They are somehow impermeable to external input.

Audio devices without head phones should simply be illegal.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: DL Gold
They should have spent the $1300 on the seat behind them.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So the OP and companion had three seats for the two of them, while two little children were seated behind and reportedly kicking only two of those three seats in front of them? Sounds like one of the empty seats may have gotten a break from the bumping.

By the way, while it may be a different story than the OP's circumstance, some adult passengers imagine their seat is being kicked by kids from behind even when the seats aren't being kicked. I've seen this three times in two months on flights with some level of minor turbulence, and it is a window into how paranoid some adults can be when it comes to young children seated behind them on planes.

Perhaps the OP and companion could have swapped seats to move behind the kids and one of the parents. Problem solved then?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
Thank you! It was driving me crazy. Unfortunately I don't look as foreboding as Arnold, but it still seems to work pretty well.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by duniawala
You paid $1330 for the wrong seat. You should have bought the seat behind you.

Having said that, next time turn around and threaten the kids (in a low menacing voice, so that the parent can't hear) they would see their legs disappear if they continued kicking.
Yup, this worked for me on a Tiger Air flight a few years ago. Male child travelling with Mum and Grannie. Kicked and kicked. We asked politely and Mum gave me a "you can't expect him not to, he's only 6" speech. Kids are smart. He realised he was on safe ground with Mum and Grandma, but figured discretion was the better part of valour as far as I was concerned and he sat as good as gold for the next 2 hours until we reached Thailand.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Well, this is exactly why business class and first class are sort of necessary if you want to guarantee pleasant flying experience.
Not always, my wife flew a TPAC on OZ in Business. A mother and child were across the aisle from her. The child used the seat as a playground, climbing to the top and sliding down, generally jumping all over the tow seats. It was totally unsafe and very annoying. The FAs only smiled and said how cute the kid was.

I recently flew in F from IAH to HNL on UA. The three bulkhead seats were occupied by a mother, teenage daughter, and young son. The son screamed most of the flight and would not stay in his seat. The FAs repeatedly warned them, but to no avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.