Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: KLM Economy Comfort!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. All Skyteam Elite Plus members used to receive a 50% discount on EC, see link. There were specials arrangements for Flying Blue Platinum, Silver and Skymiles Diamond, Platinum and Silver members.
The discount for Elite Plus members from FFP's other than FB and Skymiles has now been discontinued. Back in December the system did not give me 50% discount as AZ Freccia Alata but I managed to claim a refund for this portion later without any problem.
Now the situation is:
Free EC, preferred seats, extra legroom, seat selection for FB Plat, SM Diamond and Platinum.
Free seat selection, preferred seat on KL; 50% discount on EC, extra legroom, preferred seat on AF for FB Gold, SM Gold.
Free seat selection; 25% discount on EC, extra legroom, preferred seat for FB Silver, SM Silver.
Other airlines' Skyteam Elite and Elite Plus members receive free seat selection but no discounts on other seat types.

The pricing for the different types of seats has now become very vague on the KLM website. You'll have to log in to see the charges for your flight. They used to clearly state prices and discounts. With the dynamic pricing for EC and discount for Ivory it is not very transparent anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. All Skyteam Elite Plus members used to receive a 50% discount on EC, see link.
But that is an old file - it appears to be dated May 2013, see file name - it refers to the MD-11, and only to longhaul EC. [shorthaul EC was introduced in October 2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...hort-haul.html

There has not been any Skyteam discount for EC for the last several years from what I can gather.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 17, 2016 at 6:22 am Reason: fixed link
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But that is an old file - it appears to be dated May 2013, see file name - it refers to the MD-11, and only to longhaul EC. [shorthaul EC was introduced in October 2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...hort-haul.html

There has not been any Skyteam discount for EC for the last several years from what I can gather.
I know, but that file still floated around the KLM website (I think in the Q&A section) until they revamped the 'Your Seat' pages. It is also the second result in a Google Search for KLM Economy Comfort. Not so wise to keep that online.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I just noticed you said you successfully claimed a refund on your EC seat purchase as AZ MM FA last December.

However, I can guarantee you that last August, the KLM website clearly indicated that discounts were only available to members of Flying Blue and Skymiles, and not to any other Skyteam FFP (see earlier re-post of a post from last August with the then-current EC FFP discount list shown).

The website now wants you to log in (either with your FFP or your PNR) or - if you don't yet have a booking - to first make a booking, before showing you the prices and/or discounts available [see below]

There is a lot of old, out of date information available on the website. I would always be cautious with any page returned from a web search, rather than a page that is directly accessible via the "normal" perusal of the website. (I found the page that an earlier poster referenced, via Google, which also indicates that no page currently links to that page. As such, KLM probably forgot to delete the page; they certainly don't lead you to it when you look up EC, seats, or frequent flyer discounts).

I think you were lucky that they approved your refund - as it was not warranted based on the rules in play at the time.

I am not sure when they scrapped a discount for Skyteam members other than Flying Blue and Skymiles members, but it is definitely more than one year ago.

(Good job on the discount, though!)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's one I haven't seen before:

Your seat 06E Economy Comfort (payment in progress)

I never asked for 6E (it's a middle seat, for crying out loud), I don't have to pay for EC (get those for free), and there's no option to change my seat anymore either.

Not sure what they are thinking.

Johan

Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
Call the Plat line - even if it's free (b/c level) the process can hang on 'payment'. Had this before, they can give it a kick !
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
Call the Plat line - even if it's free (b/c level) the process can hang on 'payment'. Had this before, they can give it a kick !
Thanks. When I checked again about 10 hours later everything was back to normal.

Still wondering where the "payment in progress" came from. The seat was pre-assigned at the time of booking, and until yesterday the option to change it was available, as normal.

Johan
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Passengers in same reservation

Hello all-

On my next trip JFK-AMS, I will be traveling with my husband.

I was able, as an AF-KLM FB Plat to get an Economy Comfort seat assigned free of charge, but my hubby, who is Delta SkyMiles Gold, has to pay (reduced rate I guess).

So I called KLM/AF/DL in the US on the phone, and the agent assigned them for both of us.

Now, when I look at our booking on KLM.com, my seat is confirmed, while my husband’s seat says « Payment in Progress ».

I contacted the AF Plat Line and they assure to me that on their side, they see both seats as confirmed without any issues. When I enquired abouth whether the fact that he is only DL Gold and has to pay, as causing a troubling, the AF Plat line said my Plat benefits extend to my hubby in the same passenger, including the Econ Comfort.

When I contacted KLM via Facebook Messenger, they say the free Econ Comfort is only for me. Who to believe?

What do you recommend me to do? Leave things as is? Will the seat assignment for my husband drop after pending for too long?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:47 am

By default EC seats are free only for the plat card holder (except the 'glitch' with award tickets), Plat line agents seems to be able to bypass that if they wish and assign EC seats for free for companions as well, but this is more of an "exception" to the rule.
As for the "payment in progress", it will probably go away in couple of hours/days.
vinnyc likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Ditto
By default EC seats are free only for the plat card holder (except the 'glitch' with award tickets), Plat line agents seems to be able to bypass that if they wish and assign EC seats for free for companions as well, but this is more of an "exception" to the rule.
As for the "payment in progress", it will probably go away in couple of hours/days.
Thank you Ditto!

OK, I will leave things like this for the moment, and hopefully the « payment in progress » pending status will drop.

I just hope now that making the KLM Team aware of this, they will not cancel my husband’s seat!!!!!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by vinnyc

Thank you Ditto!

OK, I will leave things like this for the moment, and hopefully the « payment in progress » pending status will drop.

I just hope now that making the KLM Team aware of this, they will not cancel my husband’s seat!!!!!
actually I also had a similar situation. The seat stayed reserved for my partner but payment was pending.
When we were waiting at the gate, her name was called and we were sure it was regarding the seat. But it was just some passport info missing. We got the seat eventually for free. It was an AMS-JFK KL flight.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by BobTL

actually I also had a similar situation. The seat stayed reserved for my partner but payment was pending.
When we were waiting at the gate, her name was called and we were sure it was regarding the seat. But it was just some passport info missing. We got the seat eventually for free. It was an AMS-JFK KL flight.
Nice one, have some Eu flights with my partner coming up and she's not FB Plat, but worth a call to the PSL
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Nice one, have some Eu flights with my partner coming up and she's not FB Plat, but worth a call to the PSL
it’s worth to try.
I called once and they gave it as a commercial gesture
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I got it every time I asked for it, but without an assumption I'd get it. I just kind of play dumb and I'm always very friendly with staff. That's helped me more than once with some particularly weird / confusing situations, including a booking with Alitalia (made through KLM.com) that listed itself as J / P but ended up being an economy fare bucket. After being friendly they actually rebooked me at T-24 onto a KLM flight in J.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:34 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I thought i’d play the “I am dumb card” a couple of weeks ago, but no luck.

Maybe be they are more likely to cooperate if you are Ultimate or if you have the KLM personal assistance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.