Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by saraoutou
By the way another time row 8 and this time very poor pitch (strange isn't it?).
Different aircraft type? Or KL and KLC?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
Are their personal experiences on the EC, is the extra legroom sufficient (1,93m).
And are all the 737 700/800 EC rows with extra legroom
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by f4free
Does anybody know if all 737 are reconfigured?

I would also really like to know if row 1 on 737 now has more legroom than before, it was not so good previously. If the seats behind got more room they should have moved these seats back as well. Any reports on this?
Will try to answer part of my own question, after flying on a reconfigured 737 today.

- Row 1 does not have more space, just more seatback-recline than before. The 737-800 I was on (an older variant) had a window missing at 1A. Only 1C offered good legroom. 1A and 1DF are not that good. Seatwitdh is reduced with the traytable.

- The legroom of rows 2 and back to the end of e-comfort whas definitely better than before, but it seems a bit less than AA offers with Economy Extra.

- I was not able to find out if all 738s are reconfigured. Definitely an improvement in business and e-comfort.

- My seat had power outlets.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rolandvdk
And are all the 737 700/800 EC rows with extra legroom
By the way another time row 8 and this time very poor pitch (strange isn't it?).
You may have been on a 737-700, where row 7 is the last row of EC. On the 737-800 it is row 9, on the 737-900 row 10.

There is nothing new whatsoever about the seating arrangement. These aircraft have always offered more pitch in the first 8/9/10 rows, which comprise the flexible EB cabin. If fewer EB rows were needed the other rows just became standard economy seats. Now they are touted as EC with extra pitch and recline. They've always had that, but now KL wants you to pay for them.

Some of you may recall the good old days when KL's shorthaul fleet had J cabins configured 2+3. The J cabin was flexible back then too, so quite often lucky Y pax got to travel in really comfortable seats.

The number of occupied EC seats on my upcoming flight has increased to all of five. Looks like one other pax in addition to myself has decided to move forward, as there is only one occupied seat left in row 6, originally the first EC row. The seatmap now shows all regular Y seats as unavailable, presumably because they don't want me to move there for some reason, not because they've all been taken.

Johan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Different aircraft type? Or KL and KLC?
Originally Posted by johan rebel
You may have been on a 737-700, where row 7 is the last row of EC. On the 737-800 it is row 9, on the 737-900 row 10...
Johan

Saturday PH BGP "Pelican" Row 8 ^
Sunday PH BGL "Warbler" Row 8

These are two 737-7k2 according to airfleets.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS. Flight left with about 17 pax in EC. The guy in the window seat in my row was PE, as was the guy in the window seat behind us. Amazingly, somebody was stuck in the middle seat across the aisle, but he soon moved.

Strictly from a personal LTPE perspective, this was great: most pax crammed in the back, plenty of free seats at the front, including the adjacent middle seat.

Johan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Some of you may recall the good old days when KL's shorthaul fleet had J cabins configured 2+3. The J cabin was flexible back then too, so quite often lucky Y pax got to travel in really comfortable seats.

Johan
Until recently Malev did the same thing intra Europe. I was able to fly them a few times just before they went under, very comfortable indeed.

I noticed the KLM seatmap shows EC row 1-7 for the B737-700. However seatguru (and others) show row 8 to be EB / EC as well. I'm flying this type on friday, after midnight tonight I should be able to retrieve the aircraft registration.

Could the difference have anything to do with the extra row they are putting in?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Less than 24 hrs before flights, OLCI shows 9 seats taken in EC for FCO-AMS and 7 AMS-MAD. I do not think those will all be Platinums.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:54 am

I am flying today from muc to ams. Had chosen seatrow 5 wich is EC but didn't had to pay extra, really strange
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Rolandvdk
I am flying today from muc to ams. Had chosen seatrow 5 wich is EC but didn't had to pay extra, really strange
What is the aircraft, and was the row marked as EC?

E190s and F70s don't have EC.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:03 am

This time it was with the 737-700 because of the cancellation of the flight yesterday.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

In my case the 737-700 also had the limited leg space at row 8. Although it bothers me less than the AF seats, where there is a sharp metallic 'wheel' mounted at the seat in front, which I hit my knees on all the time.

I am at an outstation now and just asked at the premium check in desk if anything more up front would be available. Got 4D without a problem. It seems that these EC seats are consistently given away to elites at outstations. At Amsterdam the GA didn't even have a clue what I meant when I asked for an upgrade from Economy to EC since the economy cabin was oversold.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-CPH this afternoon. Pretty full in Y, I could see four empty middle seats in EC, not sure about the EER. It was glaringly obvious that EC seats were being handed out to anybody and everybody who checked in late. Two guys who were traveling together got middle seats in different rows. They were big, broad-shouldered and fat, fortunately the "smaller" of the two ended up next to me. He had brought his own trough in a plastic bag, presumably his goal was to attain the same size as his companion.

At the last minute, three more pax showed up. Despite the vacant middle EC seats, they were seated in EB. Something weird was going on. First of all, they boarded late, well after the cut-off time. If I, a lowly LTPE, had tried that, the GAs would no doubt have told me to get lost. Then a uniformed KL employee (who was not one of the two GAs) showed up to wish them a good flight a a rather familiar tone. These pax had to make do with Y snacks (presumably because they were not booked in EB so no meals had been catered), but did enjoy the EB bar service. As there was no space whatsoever in the overhead lockers, the cabin crew had to use every available locker to store at least some of their carry-ons. Really bright idea, removing the EB wardrobe!

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...

At the last minute, three more pax showed up. Despite the vacant middle EC seats, they were seated in EB. Something weird was going on. First of all, they boarded late, well after the cut-off time. If I, a lowly LTPE, had tried that, the GAs would no doubt have told me to get lost. Then a uniformed KL employee (who was not one of the two GAs) showed up to wish them a good flight a a rather familiar tone. These pax had to make do with Y snacks (presumably because they were not booked in EB so no meals had been catered), but did enjoy the EB bar service. As there was no space whatsoever in the overhead lockers, the cabin crew had to use every available locker to store at least some of their carry-ons. Really bright idea, removing the EB wardrobe!

Johan
Company non-revs?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt
Company non-revs?
Probably not. More likely pax with a too tight connection who for some reason were given special treatment.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.