Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
€119 AMS-DUS tomorrow. What are they smoking??
And I even think they mention when booking that flight, that due to the short flying time there is no differentiated service!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
What are they smoking??
Something potent, I suspect.

No OLCI offer for a flight I took a few days ago. That despite open seats in J, and Y overbooked (I know this for a fact because the gate agent told me so). The only reason they did need to OpUp is because there were quite a few no shows.

Johan
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
On the GVA-AMS flight there was no offer, not surprising, because it was full in both classes in the end. But on the AMS-DUS flight I would never buy an upgrade, even if it was offered for buttons. Ha, well, I might if I had a long offer and they offered it for less than 20 Euros, just for the lounge access. But I'm not sure the Schengen lounge at AMS is worth it.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
AMS-OTP €119. (Pass)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: M&M, M&S, SPG.
AMS-CUR €306 fare class was Q
On the return no upgrade was offered at OLCI but an upgrade was available by paying €300 PLUS 45.000 Flying Blue miles.
Fare class was R.

AMS-MAD €189 fare class N.
MAD-AMS no upgrade offered fare class R.

AMS-BCN €179 fare class T.
BCN-AMS €270-ish fare class N.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by LX1800
AMS-CUR €306 fare class was Q
On the return no upgrade was offered at OLCI but an upgrade was available by paying €300 PLUS 45.000 Flying Blue miles.
Fare class was R.

AMS-MAD €189 fare class N.
MAD-AMS no upgrade offered fare class R.

AMS-BCN €179 fare class T.
BCN-AMS €270-ish fare class N.
I think their central computer has been indulging in some silicon-based happy pills!

-- Henry
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Not at OLCI, but when checking the status of tomorrow's flights, I was offered an upgrade on my flight from FIH to CDG. £397, which seems pretty reasonable, for one way business class, out of my own pocket (so I took it). Now waiting patiently (one hour and ten minutes to go) for OLCI, as this makes the morning check in (Air France Office/Scrum in central Kinshasa) a lot easier.

I've also been given offers flying from HRE to AMS (£600) and CDG to FIH (also in the £600 ballpark), but didn't consider these bargains.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Henry III
I think their central computer has been indulging in some silicon-based happy pills!
Good one! ^
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH – AMS €149.—

Amazingly, EB comprised of no fewer than five rows, with plenty of seats available. I surmised that it must be a cruise ship turnaround day in Copenhagen, which proved to be the case. The flight left with a total of eight pax in EB, after a really cheeky cheat had been evicted.

Johan
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
CDG-GRU on AF, originally booked in PE, fare class A: 259,- €
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
CPH – AMS €149.—

Amazingly, EB comprised of no fewer than five rows, with plenty of seats available. I surmised that it must be a cruise ship turnaround day in Copenhagen, which proved to be the case. The flight left with a total of eight pax in EB, after a really cheeky cheat had been evicted.

Johan
Better luck next time, Johan!!!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Better luck next time, Johan!!!

It was quite a slick performance, I must say. A lady boarded as one of the last, and carefully started checking the row numbers, starting at row one. When she got to row two, she looked at her boarding card, turned to the purser standing nearby, said that she had 2F (which seat was occupied) but immediately added that she would not at all mind sitting in elsewhere, whereupon she promptly took 4F.

When the doors closed confusion arose. The purser first went through EB with her iPad, but that did not seem to solve the problem. It probably did not help that the cruise ship pax in 2D moved to 2E to sit next to his wife in 2F when the cheeky lady first claimed she had a seat in that row.

When the iPad had not solved the problem, the purser took the list she had been given by the flight controller, and asked all pax in EB to identify themselves by name. When she got to 4F she could not find a match, and asked for the lady's boarding card. Lo and behold, it said 6F.

When the doors closed the gentleman next to me in 6E had moved to the vacant 6F, so that his friend in 6B could move to 6E (typical Economy Comfort pax, in other words, they had no doubt checked in at the last moment and been given the remaining EC seats). The cheater was now told to sit in 6B, so she ended up in a middle seat for all her trouble. Once there she protested to her unfortunate fellow seatmates that she "always" flew business class, and that she couldn't understand why she could not sit in row 4, as the seats were exactly the same, bla bla bla.

Johan
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
wow!

I had an experience on BA from RTM a couple of years ago where a lady with a boarding pass that had been rejected at the gate (and that clearly showed an economy seat assignment) somehow managed to get on board, or was let onboard without the issue being dealt with, whereupon she took a seat in the last row of business, just in front of mine. The confusion with the ground crew and the paper work continued - they kept coming on board, talking to her about her ticket, saying how they could find no record of her, took her boarding pass again several times - the whole thing delayed us for more than hour - and I got the distinct impression that they finally just gave up and let her travel rather than delay the rest of us any longer. She also displaced the guy who had been assigned that particular seat - but he just took a seat further forward. Neither the ground staff, nor the purser (who, for some reason, apologised to the lady several times for the "mixup"), asked her to take the seat that her possibly-not-valid boarding pass indicated she should take.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
So much trouble for what.... a business class seat... amazing what people do in this world...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: N/A
Last May: BCN-AMS €179. No thanks, I'll take my original seat somewhere back in the bus.

July: AMS-PEK €300. New WBC

Last edited by WorldTraveller13; Aug 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm Reason: Added July buy-up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.