Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I double checked a few months ago. A security officer offer confirmed no problem and offered to show me the way through but it's very obvious so should be easy.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:47 am

AC/NH LGA-YYZ-NRT-CGK Baggage "Claim" in NRT

My wife is flying AC/NH LGA-YYZ-NRT-CGK in J today on a one way *A award ticket.

AC operates LGA-YYZ-NRT and NH operates NRT-CGK.

Her bag has been tagged through to CGK.

AC is telling her that she needs to claim or identify the bag in NRT.

I can't find anything on anyone's web site (AC, NH, Narita, etc.) that says why.

Is it possible that because I booked her a one way outbound and then a one way return from HKG on UA in 10 days?

I'm on the phone with AC reservations and they don't even know why.

I did JFK-NRT-CGK on NH a week ago and my bag went through to CGK.

Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I have a HND(Dom)-HND(Int) connection tomorrow evening, connecting from JL (OKJ-HND) to QF (HND-SYD) on a single ticket. My connection time is 135 minutes, and I'm keen to spend as much as possible of this in the First Class lounge. I've caught a domestic flight out of HND before and found myself roaming the check-in area in confusion for quite some time, and I'm keen to avoid a rpreat of this.

I assumed this was straightforward, but HND's website (http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/dms_int.html) suggests that I will need to reclaim my luggage and do a landside terminal transfer before clearing security yet again.

1. Will JL really not be able to tag my bag to my final destination?
2. If they are, are they able to issue my connecting QF BP? If not, where can I obtain it must efficiently?
3. It's quite confusing that the HND website proposes three alternative methods of connecting (shuttle bus, Keikyu line, and monorail), especially given that the websites describing the two latter is in Japanese only. Which one is preferable?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
1. Will JL really not be able to tag my bag to my final destination?
2. If they are, are they able to issue my connecting QF BP? If not, where can I obtain it must efficiently?
3. It's quite confusing that the HND website proposes three alternative methods of connecting (shuttle bus, Keikyu line, and monorail), especially given that the websites describing the two latter is in Japanese only. Which one is preferable?
1. JAL should tag it all the way through to your final destination. Their website sez you only need to retrieve your bags if they're not checked through.

2. I've had JAL print my onward AA boarding passes but I don't have personal experience with connecting on to QF. Absolute worst case is QF issues it to you at HND. Compared to Domestic Terminal 2, the International terminal is far more compact with all of the ticket counters arranged in rows before the security check points. No need to walk between wings trying to figure out which way to go!

3. Shuttle bus would probably be easiest. The other two options require getting a free pass from the info desk, buying a ticket, or using Suica/Passmo/similar cards.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jayhup
My wife is flying AC/NH LGA-YYZ-NRT-CGK in J today on a one way *A award ticket.

AC operates LGA-YYZ-NRT and NH operates NRT-CGK.

Her bag has been tagged through to CGK.

AC is telling her that she needs to claim or identify the bag in NRT.

I can't find anything on anyone's web site (AC, NH, Narita, etc.) that says why.

Is it possible that because I booked her a one way outbound and then a one way return from HKG on UA in 10 days?

I'm on the phone with AC reservations and they don't even know why.

I did JFK-NRT-CGK on NH a week ago and my bag went through to CGK.

Thanks.
If the bag is tagged through to the final destination, your wife will not see it again in NRT.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If the bag is tagged through to the final destination, your wife will not see it again in NRT.
Thank you.

That's what I thought but no one at AC would explain WHY. I finally got through to reservations and the woman I spoke to said that it was a domestic connection. When I politely told her that Indonesia isn't domestic she really didn't respond. She was very nice about it but didn't seem to understand herself.

Anyway...she's about four hours from touchdown in NRT so we'll see what happens.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
1. JAL should tag it all the way through to your final destination. Their website sez you only need to retrieve your bags if they're not checked through.

2. I've had JAL print my onward AA boarding passes but I don't have personal experience with connecting on to QF. Absolute worst case is QF issues it to you at HND. Compared to Domestic Terminal 2, the International terminal is far more compact with all of the ticket counters arranged in rows before the security check points. No need to walk between wings trying to figure out which way to go!

3. Shuttle bus would probably be easiest. The other two options require getting a free pass from the info desk, buying a ticket, or using Suica/Passmo/similar cards.
Brilliant, thanks a lot!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Hi.. this is an Int to Int transfer. My wife and son arrive in NRT on JAL from BKK at 4:25PM. Their onward flight to LAX is also on JAL and leaves at 5:25PM. Just 1 hour to make the connection. It's one ticket. Assuming not a problem because the airline ticketed it unless the first flight is delayed? And obviously not enough time to check out the first class lounge :-(
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Hi.. this is an Int to Int transfer. My wife and son arrive in NRT on JAL from BKK at 4:25PM. Their onward flight to LAX is also on JAL and leaves at 5:25PM. Just 1 hour to make the connection. It's one ticket. Assuming not a problem because the airline ticketed it unless the first flight is delayed? And obviously not enough time to check out the first class lounge :-(
One hour is more than fine in Narita. If the incoming is late, JAL will send staff to assist with the connection. There is only transit security check.

The LA bound flight will start boarding 30 minutes before departure. If the gates are well placed, and the BKK flight slightly early there may even be time for a quick glass of bubbles in the F lounge.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One hour is more than fine in Narita. If the incoming is late, JAL will send staff to assist with the connection. There is only transit security check.

The LA bound flight will start boarding 30 minutes before departure. If the gates are well placed, and the BKK flight slightly early there may even be time for a quick glass of bubbles in the F lounge.
^ thank you!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:45 am

On a somewhat related topic, what is a recommended layover time to allow a visit to Narita town?? I am looking at a INT-DOM connection.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ319
On a somewhat related topic, what is a recommended layover time to allow a visit to Narita town?? I am looking at a INT-DOM connection.
In contrast to people who have INT-INT connections, you are obliged to go landslide for your INT-DOM connection. The upside to that is that it makes for an easier decision when you consider visiting Narita City. You don't have to consider whether it's worth lining up to go through immigration and customs, 'cos you're going to have to do that whatever happens.

There are roughly 3 Keisei trains per hour to Keisei Narita station (local trains) and the journey time is about 10 minutes. So, for the roundtrip travel alone, you should allow around an hour. (Sure, if you time it right, the rountrip can take as little as 20 minutes, but I'm assuming that you'll spend time waiting for trains). Assuming you want at least an hour to explore the town, and assuming that you want to be back at the airport at least an hour before your domestic departure, I would say that the trip is worthwhile if you have about three hours to spare after you have passed through immigration and customs.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
In contrast to people who have INT-INT connections, you are obliged to go landslide for your INT-DOM connection. The upside to that is that it makes for an easier decision when you consider visiting Narita City. You don't have to consider whether it's worth lining up to go through immigration and customs, 'cos you're going to have to do that whatever happens.

There are roughly 3 Keisei trains per hour to Keisei Narita station (local trains) and the journey time is about 10 minutes. So, for the roundtrip travel alone, you should allow around an hour. (Sure, if you time it right, the rountrip can take as little as 20 minutes, but I'm assuming that you'll spend time waiting for trains). Assuming you want at least an hour to explore the town, and assuming that you want to be back at the airport at least an hour before your domestic departure, I would say that the trip is worthwhile if you have about three hours to spare after you have passed through immigration and customs.
Thanks. We'll most likely have a 2h 30min transfer which may be too short for this.

Any recommended restaurants within Narita for a good Japanese lunch during our layover?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SQ319
Thanks. We'll most likely have a 2h 30min transfer which may be too short for this.

Any recommended restaurants within Narita for a good Japanese lunch during our layover?
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shop...&category1=589
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:43 pm

Thanks. I've already seen this. I'm asking for recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.