Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by frost11
We just found out that it'll be cheaper by about CAD$50 per person to fly domestic than to take the shinkansen and also save us a few hours. But I'm not sure if 2.5hrs is good enough to clear customs/immigration, collect bags, transfer terminal, check bags etc... Is it too risky? We'll be travelling mid-April if it makes any difference.
Usually 2.5 hours is comfortably enough but if there is unusual delays or you flight is late, worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to pay for Shinkansen ride. I'd say you have something like 90% or even better chance to make it and if your non-refundable plane ticket cost $100 and shinkansen $150 I'd say odds are good enough provided that "losing" won't cause you any real troubles.

Good thing about Japanese rail tickets is that you can buy them at last minute without additional cost. Bad thing is that you don't get any discounts for an advance purchase.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by frost11
Can the domestic check-in (need to check bags) be done in the international terminal?
Yes! JAL has a domestic connections counter in the International Terminal. It's on the right side after you exit customs.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airport/hnd/info/
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kallio
Usually 2.5 hours is comfortably enough but if there is unusual delays or you flight is late, worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to pay for Shinkansen ride. I'd say you have something like 90% or even better chance to make it and if your non-refundable plane ticket cost $100 and shinkansen $150 I'd say odds are good enough provided that "losing" won't cause you any real troubles.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes! JAL has a domestic connections counter in the International Terminal. It's on the right side after you exit customs.
Thank you both so much!! We feel much more comfortable in deciding. Keeping my fingers crossed, betting my money on flying!!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta
If the time is short and the lineup to recheck your luggage onto the domestic flight is long, I recommend immediately telling one of the JAL staff about your situation. My experience is that Japanese airline staff are very helpful and courteous in those situations.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all - considering a JAL Business Class ticket (booked as one ticket) with 1 hour NRT layover. BKK>NRT>LAX. Will have checked bags. Is this doable?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all - considering a JAL Business Class ticket (booked as one ticket) with 1 hour NRT layover. BKK>NRT>LAX. Will have checked bags. Is this doable?
No problem at all. There is only transit security check. Your bags will be forwarded automatically.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Looking for some advice if this connection is reasonable. I think it is, but I wanted to hear from the experts. Flights are SGN-HND/NRT-DFW, all in business on JAL, and the connection would likely be on a Sunday morning. TBD if we will have checked bags.

•The airport(s) at which you are transiting: Arrive HND, Depart NRT
•The airline on which you are arriving: JAL
•The airline on which you are departing: JAL
•Your connection time in hours/minutes: 4h 55m (6:55am to 11:50am)
•How you are connecting: Int-Int
•Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Single ticket

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Looking for some advice if this connection is reasonable.
Yes. It's OK.

From HND Int'l Terminal you can catch the Limousine bus to NRT at 7:40:
Depart Int'l Terminal @7:40 AM - Depart T1 @7:55 AM - Arrive NRT @9:00
Depart Int'l Terminal @ 8:25 AM - Depart T1 @8:40 AM - Arrive NRT @9:55

(As you can see, the first fifteen minutes of this bus ride is taking you around the airport - so if you just miss the bus at the Int'l Terminal you could conceivably jump on the inter-terminal shuttle and catch up with it at T1)

Even the second bus gets you to NRT in reasonable time to catch an 11:50 flight.

Train options also exist - Take a Keikyu Express train to Shinagawa and change to the Narita Express. You could consider that if you miss the first bus and don't want to hang around for the second bus.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:45 pm

HND-NRT transit is fairly safe as long as you've got >4hrs, same ticket. Barring major unexpected delays, you should be able to get to NRT with plenty of spare time to enjoy the lounge.

jib's instructions are perfect.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I've only transited in Japan once. I had a 6+ hour connection on a Garuda Indonesia to Delta connection at NRT and decided to visit Narita town during the layover. It took over an hour to clear immigration due to the line. That's really my only concern in changing airports.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I've only transited in Japan once. I had a 6+ hour connection on a Garuda Indonesia to Delta connection at NRT and decided to visit Narita town during the layover. It took over an hour to clear immigration due to the line. That's really my only concern in changing airports.
Despite your last experience, I think it'd be rather unusual for passport control to take an hour. I've entered Jpn through HND 5x or so, through NRT probably over 60x. I think the longest I've waited for passport control at either airport over the last several years is probably something like 25 minutes. I don't remember waiting an hour, ever. Granted, last summer a lot of folks were reporting here about huge lines at NRT and HND. So I suppose anything's possible, and maybe I've just been lucky. But the queue for me is usually 0~20 minutes.

Even if your flight's 45min late AND the passport control queue is 45min, you will still make the 9am limo bus which will get you to NRT in time for timely bag drop. In the highly unlikely event that you're delayed even further, well you have the protection of a single booking.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:46 pm

Transiting at NRT with separate ticket

Hi all,

I am flying Xiamenair from China to NRT landing in T1 Northwing, with a 3 hr layover. The next connecting flight will be on ANA (separate ticket) T1 Southwing NRT - JFK.

I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to check my luggage through to JFK since it's two different alliances.

My question is, do I can go through transit and pick up my luggage there

or do I have to go through customs (filling out the entry form (USA Citizen), and if so, do I need to tell them I am transiting and will not have a place to stay in Japan), then claim my baggage and then re-enter security again at the Southwing?

Secondly, Is there a connecting shuttle from the Northwing to the Southwing, or is it so close that I can navigate through quickly without feeling time constrained?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ginny12girl
Hi all,

I am flying Xiamenair from China to NRT landing in T1 Northwing, with a 3 hr layover. The next connecting flight will be on ANA (separate ticket) T1 Southwing NRT - JFK.

I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to check my luggage through to JFK since it's two different alliances.

My question is, do I can go through transit and pick up my luggage there

or do I have to go through customs (filling out the entry form (USA Citizen), and if so, do I need to tell them I am transiting and will not have a place to stay in Japan), then claim my baggage and then re-enter security again at the Southwing?

Secondly, Is there a connecting shuttle from the Northwing to the Southwing, or is it so close that I can navigate through quickly without feeling time constrained?

Thanks in advance
You would need to go through immigration and pick up your luggage. Just write transit on the immigration form, and it should be fine. They may ask to see your ticket out of Japan, both at check-in in China and at immigration in Japan, so have a print handy.

The north wing and the south wing are 5 to 10 minutes walk apart. So no need for a shuttle. There is an inter terminal bus, but I think that would go from North wing to T2 to T3 to South wing so you'll be better of walking. After exiting at ground floor from customs, go up to the 4th floor and the two wings are connected indoors. Departures are on the fourth floor.
window.post_1489731031363_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1489731034037_11 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:29 pm

Thank you!! =)
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:50 am

The airport(s) at which you are transiting Narita, terminal 1 and terminal 2
The airline on which you are arriving One person AA, One person United
The airline on which you are departing ANA to Hiroshima
Your connection time in hours/minutes 3.5 Hours
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) Connecting International to domestic Int-Dom
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets
Separately booked tickets

We are two guys flying into Narita, one into terminal 1 and one into terminal 2 from the USA. We will only have carry on luggage and coming from business class on the international leg. Our next flight is on ANA to hij departing from terminal 1.

Our goal was to go through immigration and then back into the terminal to get into the AA or United lounges for a shower and refresher. But I am hearing that it will not be possible to get back into that part of the airport with a domestic ticket. Are the areas so segregated that we can't get to these lounges?

We are developing a paid shower plan if we can't get into the lounges but want to confirm this is true before spending more time on the logistics. One of us will have to transit to terminal 1, check in with ANA, and go through security for the ANA flight. How much time should I be allowing for this process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.