Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Platinum status: worthless.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by whimike
anybody can buy the status for less than $100 per year.

It's a complete slap in the face for loyal members that earn it by staying 60 nights, and dilutes the benefits to the point where there is little to no value.
This statement hits the nail on the head.

After 15 years of earned Platinum status I am still faced with scowls and resentment if I dare ask for an Executive Room upon check-in.

In 2014 I got the UK IHG Visa card and get automatic Platinum status.
Result? I stay less with IHG than ever before.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Worthless? Hardly! The guy in front of me was offered either points or water and a granola bar but when it was my turn to check in I got all three because I was a Platinum member! That was like $3...for free!

I have always found Platinum to be a highly variable status depending on what property you go to or even who is working that night
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
At HI Orchard Singapore right now. One night stay. Warm welcome as a platinum member. Booked executive room (which includes lounge access) and was upgraded to junior suite (platinum benefit). Large fruit platter in room (platinum benefit). Complimentary drink (beer or wine - not exactly cheap in Singapore) (platinum benefit). 4pm check out (platinum benefit). Since my flight leaves at midnight I politely asked whether I can stay in the lounge after my 4pm check out. That request was granted, with a smile, because I am a regular and a loyal platinum member. Not a standard benefit, but thankfully accepted.

I would value the benefits I received for my one night stay (upgrade, glass of wine, fruit platter, lounge access) at over $100. And that does not include the 50% extra points and 4pm checkout. Nor the hearty welcome and the friendly treatment.

Platinum membership worthless? For me: definitely not!

Last edited by DuMaInSin; Oct 17, 2014 at 8:43 am
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Exterous
Worthless? Hardly! The guy in front of me was offered either points or water and a granola bar but when it was my turn to check in I got all three because I was a Platinum member! That was like $3...for free!

I have always found Platinum to be a highly variable status depending on what property you go to or even who is working that night
That is good for you, but it contravenes IHG's policy to provide a consistent and standard amenity at check-in for elite members (gold and platinum). The hotel faces a stiff fine from IHG for doing so.

mxm135
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
IMHO not worthless but also not worth busting my buns to get status. Have been platinum on stays since 2002 and on again off again Royal Ambassador/Ambassador and find I get good to excellent treatment but the benefits are really few compared with other programs, except as Royal Ambassador (but even there would like to see different benefits for such an exclusive designation!).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MXM135
That is good for you, but it contravenes IHG's policy to provide a consistent and standard amenity at check-in for elite members (gold and platinum). The hotel faces a stiff fine from IHG for doing so.

mxm135
Are you referring to what the guy in front of me got or just in general? He was Club so a different level. If you are referring to in general then I don't see anything stating that the amenity has to be consistent and standard across hotels in their policy T&Cs assuming I didn't miss anything here:
http://www.ihg.com/content/dam/etc/m...Conditions.pdf
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Are you referring to what the guy in front of me got or just in general? He was Club so a different level. If you are referring to in general then I don't see anything stating that the amenity has to be consistent and standard across hotels in their policy T&Cs assuming I didn't miss anything here:
It is not contained in the member's T&C, but a policy directive to all IHG hotel franchisees stating what the new amenities are for Gold and Platinum members at all IHG brands.

mxm135
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I think what is nonstandard is getting points and the water/snack. I have never been offer both, it has always been an either/or, and I am Platinum.

Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
At HI Orchard Singapore right now. One night stay. Warm welcome as a platinum member. Booked executive room (which includes lounge access) and was upgraded to junior suite (platinum benefit). Large fruit platter in room (platinum benefit). Complimentary drink (beer or wine - not exactly cheap in Singapore) (platinum benefit). 4pm check out (platinum benefit). Since my flight leaves at midnight I politely asked whether I can stay in the lounge after my 4pm check out. That request was granted, with a smile, because I am a regular and a loyal platinum member. Not a standard benefit, but thankfully accepted.

I would value the benefits I received for my one night stay (upgrade, glass of wine, fruit platter, lounge access) at over $100. And that does not include the 50% extra points and 4pm checkout. Nor the hearty welcome and the friendly treatment.

Platinum membership worthless? For me: definitely not!
I think they key to your experience is the bolded part above. Also, several international properties clearly go well above and beyond the norm.

Though, how is the large fruit platter and free drinks a platinum benefit? I have never received a fruit platter and rarely free drinks. Where are these listed as a platinum benefit?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Though, how is the large fruit platter and free drinks a platinum benefit?
They are not, but some hotels treat platinum members better than others. I haven't stayed there for a while, but HI Sokolniki in Moscow used to provide a huge assorted fruit basket which put to shame most ICs.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Though, how is the large fruit platter and free drinks a platinum benefit? I have never received a fruit platter and rarely free drinks. Where are these listed as a platinum benefit?

As I wrote:"Is platinum worthless? It depends on where you are staying, your expectations, and often also on your attitude."

Last edited by DuMaInSin; Oct 18, 2014 at 6:54 am
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:14 am
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
I think that it it a matter of perspective

My perspective is that I *must* travel on business, and when I do, most of my time is spent at client facilities or sleeping. Not much else matters.

The "consolation prize" for all of this travel is to be able to travel with my family for free (although it's hardly free if one counts all of that business travel). I really do not remember the last time I've paid for a night in a hotel on vacation. Something for which I'm very appreciative.

So for the way I see things, free drinks, lounge access, room upgrades, and mini-bars don't mean a thing. Extra points, free night vouchers, discounts on point redemption rates are what get my attention, and it is for this reason that I watch the threads about promos, point devaluations, and canceled accounts so closely.

Therefore, to me platinum does matter because it increases the number of points I receive for stays, but I'm evaluating that on a program-wide basis, not from the perspective of staying at any single property.

Your mileage may vary *a lot* based on what is important to you from your perspective.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold Elite, VS Red
Just checked out of CP Dublin Northwood on a 5,000 pts Pointbreak. I got:
- upgraded to club floor on checkin
- complementary continental breakfasts
- two beer tickets
- late checkout
- free shuttle to/from airport.

I hadn't stayed there for 18 months, when I was a regular there, but I would say that's a cracking set of benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Whether the status is worth it really depends on where you stay... some of my more recent experience:

HI Orchard - Room Upgrade, daily replenish fruits.

CP Newcastle - Nothing

CP HK Kowloon East - 6 drinks (wine/beer) voucher, a bottle of red wine, fruits, lots of bottled water and breakfast

HIX Soho - 3 drinks voucher

CP Canberra - Nothing

So much about consistency.. Compared to other programs, IHG's experience really vary a lot. CP Kowloon East for example, they actually went way above in terms of drowning me with alcohol
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by MXM135
It is not contained in the member's T&C, but a policy directive to all IHG hotel franchisees stating what the new amenities are for Gold and Platinum members at all IHG brands.

mxm135
Interesting. Do you have the policy directive?

Even if it is in there its not like I would expect IHG to actually get something to be consistent. They can't even keep the terms of their promotions from changing multiple times in the middle of the promotion....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Whether the status is worth it really depends on where you stay... some of my more recent experience:

HI Orchard - Room Upgrade, daily replenish fruits.

CP Newcastle - Nothing

CP HK Kowloon East - 6 drinks (wine/beer) voucher, a bottle of red wine, fruits, lots of bottled water and breakfast

HIX Soho - 3 drinks voucher

CP Canberra - Nothing

So much about consistency.. Compared to other programs, IHG's experience really vary a lot. CP Kowloon East for example, they actually went way above in terms of drowning me with alcohol
CP Kowloon also gives Plats free brekkie.

I do get more upgrades with IHG Plat vs Marriott Plat - mostly because I stayed at their lower ends properties (travel on our own $).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.