Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Platinum status: worthless.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

If everything one category up is sold out, you will get upgraded more than 1 level. I've gone from the cheapest room in a HIX to a 2-room suite, because everything in between was sold.
....That is nice and you were lucky to get a two room suite, but it is the exception, not the rule. A credit card Platinum like me can't expect a two room suite at an IC if the one and two level upgrades above the cheapest room were all gone.

I agree with you, though, that it is better not to book the cheapest room. Booking a step or two higher puts you in position that a one or two level upgrade gets you a really nice room, maybe a junior suite or a suite. I book a room that I will be satisfied with and if I get a further upgrade, that is a lovely bonus.

Last edited by Tizzette; Nov 21, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
....That is nice and you were lucky to get a two room suite, but it is a Holiday Inn Express example. There's not that much difference in rooms or steps up in room classes at a HIX.
Well, there was a very big difference in this case. It was the difference between a basic room and a large suite. I didn't really care (I wasn't going to be using the room for very long -- I basically went to bed as soon as I checked in and woke up at 5am to check out) but it was still a significant upgrade.

A credit card Platinum who books the cheapest room can't expect a two room suite at an IC because the one and two level upgrades from the cheapest room were all gone.
No, of course you can't expect it. My point is only that if they have any rooms available above yours, then you should get an upgrade.

If you have trouble getting upgrades, one thing that you could do is, when checking in, ask if they have any upgrades available (do not mention platinum status or free upgrades). It's common for people to buy upgrades at check-in so this is not a strange thing to ask. If they offer to sell you one, then you know that they have availability, so you can request a free upgrade based on your status.

I agree with you, though, that it is better not to book the cheapest room. Booking a step or two higher puts you in position that a one or two level upgrade gets you a really nice room, maybe a junior suite or a suite. I book a room that I will be satisfied with and if I get a further upgrade, that is a lovely bonus.
Yes, since upgrades are not guaranteed, this is definitely a good idea.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:16 pm

Pet peeve, having to call (often repeatedly) for my fruit and water

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.