Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Platinum status: worthless.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Strange, I was upgraded pretty much all the time when I was just a Platinum and not Amb/RA. I was travelling mostly in ME, Asia and North America.
I was upgraded precisely ZERO times as a Plat. I'm happier as a gold with both Hilton & IHG. Both deliver what is promised at the Gold level very consistently.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by doglover
You can PAY to become an Ambassador which has value, but only at IC's
4/6 of the ICs I've stayed at this year treat Platinums and Ambassadors exactly the same (same letter, upgrades, welcome gift, amenities etc), RAs are the ones who get special treatment.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I reckon IHG Platinum Members get treated pretty well in Asia generally. Have almost always gotten late check-out and upgrades at all properties - IC/CP/HI/HIX.

I've heard that the treatment in US is a lot worse though.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not the person you were replying to, but I've certainly stayed 100++ nights with IHG over the last dozen years, but only one of those nights was at an IC (on points, in Rome at the Spanish Steps) Mostly they were HIs, HIXs, Candlewood, Staybridge, and I think CP even only once or twice.

And btw upgrades are either rarer or less obvious (just a nicer side of vthe building or such, rather than an obviously superior room) at Candlewood and Staybridge and at many HI and HIX (that are low on suites) than at CP and IC (and those HIs or HIXs that have lots of suites). So the same brand distribution could account for different upgrade experiences.

In my case, there's an HIX I stayed at a bunch of times which only has 3 suites in the whole hotel. So they did upgrade me occasionally, but on only on a tiny fraction of stays.
It is clear that the concept of "upgrades" at HIX, Candlewood or third tier cities' HIs/Staybridges is less than obvious.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
It is clear that the concept of "upgrades" at HIX, Candlewood or third tier cities' HIs/Staybridges is less than obvious.
I've been upgraded to very large suites at HIX.

If they have an upgrade available, you are entitled to it. Just ask for it. I've never had a problem getting it, but, if you do, just complain to IHG.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:15 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Plat Upgrades in SE Asia and Australia.

Before the changes I'd have agreed that IHG Plat was pretty well worthless but in the last 6-12 months (ironically since I lost my RA) I've stayed at the BKK CP, MNL HI (points), MNL IC, and MEL apt HI (points, 3 times) and have always been looked after really well. Free Club access in BKK but not in MNL.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
4/6 of the ICs I've stayed at this year treat Platinums and Ambassadors exactly the same (same letter, upgrades, welcome gift, amenities etc), RAs are the ones who get special treatment.
Are you saying that as a good or bad thing? That has been my experience as well - but I'm not happy, as it means I get the ambassador upgrade but NO platinum upgrade. Are they supposed to give an additional upgrade (subject to availability) to platinum members? Or does the guaranteed upgrade overwrite that - and mean there is not even a theoretical "room" benefit to being platinum rather than gold?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickp99
Are you saying that as a good or bad thing? That has been my experience as well - but I'm not happy, as it means I get the ambassador upgrade but NO platinum upgrade. Are they supposed to give an additional upgrade (subject to availability) to platinum members? Or does the guaranteed upgrade overwrite that - and mean there is not even a theoretical "room" benefit to being platinum rather than gold?
The benefit to being platinum rather than gold is the additional points earned (15 pts per $ rather than 11) and status at non-IC IHGs (since Ambassador is only for IC)

I don't think that you are supposed to get a double-upgrade. That would be very strange.

I don't understand why you're not happy.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:14 pm

The Platinum upgrade is supposed to be one level up, if available. From a standard room, one level up would just be a better view or a higher floor or a more recently decorated room. Anything more is pure luck. I book a room type that's going to be OK if I don't get an upgrade. For me, that means a sofa or comfortable easy chair and a tub. It is well worth it to pay for the room type you want the first night of an award stay. Once in the room, it is easier to keep it the rest of the nights as as upgrade, whether free or being asked to pay some cash difference.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I almost always get upgraded...and at some properties pre-upgraded between check-in day to weeks in advance. Platinum is certainly NOT worthless. It's almost never just a one level upgrade, either so I wouldn't call it luck based on my history. I often get upgraded to suites or the best room the hotel has (regardless if it is a paid stay or reward night). Although I am a Platinum Elite with Marriott, too, I really do prefer IHG properties over all others...with the exception of IHG's free breakfast at HIX or Staybridge Suites vs. Marriott's similar properties.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
The Platinum upgrade is supposed to be one level up, if available. From a standard room, one level up would just be a better view or a higher floor or a more recently decorated room. Anything more is pure luck. I book a room type that's going to be OK if I don't get an upgrade. For me, that means a sofa or comfortable easy chair and a tub. It is well worth it to pay for the room type you want the first night of an award stay. Once in the room, it is easier to keep it the rest of the nights as as upgrade, whether free or being asked to pay some cash difference.
I've never seen a more recently decorated room being considered an upgrade.

You can easily see what the next level up is while you are booking. Just find the room with the next-higher price. If there is only a minor price difference between your room and the next higher one, you may want to consider booking the next-higher one, so that you get a more significant upgrade. (eg, if a hotel has regular rooms for $70, regular rooms on a higher floor for $80, and large suites for $200, and nothing else, you may want to book the $80 room so that your upgrade will give you the suite)

If everything one category up is sold out, you will get upgraded more than 1 level. I've gone from the cheapest room in a HIX to a 2-room suite, because everything in between was sold.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:20 pm

I like the move where they try to upgrade you to the executive floor without access. Same room, better neighborhood (IC KL)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:41 am

I just received my IHG reward master card today and activated it. I log on to my reward card account and still show no activity. How soon after I activated my card would I have the platinum status?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by windonwaters
I just received my IHG reward master card today and activated it. I log on to my reward card account and still show no activity. How soon after I activated my card would I have the platinum status?
In the UK it takes roughly four to six after your first transaction if that helps.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windonwaters
I remember it taking a long time. 6-8 weeks or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.