Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Somebody else's Champagne in the room... What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Somebody else's Champagne in the room... What would you do?

We checked into an Intercontinental today. Had a few issues initially, when the room was not available after being told that it was. We then didn't get informed when the room became available.

Anyway, despite being promised an upgraded room with a great view, we got a pokey room with a view of the hotel air conditioning units. The worst thing was that we were next to a service door that was constantly in use, and slamming so hard that things shook in the room. It was happening every 30 seconds.

I complained and we got promised a new room. The new room is actually a club room. But...

There is a bottle of Champagne, and a note addressed to somebody else. There is also a 'goodie bag' containing another half bottle of champagne, and various other things. It's obvious that whoever had the room booked originally had canceled. I actually think that everything has been here for a night already (the ice for the champagne had melted and the water was room temperature).

So, what do we do? My idea is to get some fresh ice and crack on
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
We checked into an Intercontinental today. Had a few issues initially, when the room was not available after being told that it was. We then didn't get informed when the room became available.

Anyway, despite being promised an upgraded room with a great view, we got a pokey room with a view of the hotel air conditioning units. The worst thing was that we were next to a service door that was constantly in use, and slamming so hard that things shook in the room. It was happening every 30 seconds.

I complained and we got promised a new room. The new room is actually a club room. But...

There is a bottle of Champagne, and a note addressed to somebody else. There is also a 'goodie bag' containing another half bottle of champagne, and various other things. It's obvious that whoever had the room booked originally had canceled. I actually think that everything has been here for a night already (the ice for the champagne had melted and the water was room temperature).

Is there ANY other possible course of action?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I'd take a sip
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:45 pm

I never read these notes, impossible for me to see that it was for somebody else.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:20 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Thank the hotel for providing champagne for all your troubles but complain bitterly that the ice had already melted and the champagne was too warm?

HTB.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I got someones birthday cake at the IC Grand Stanford a few years back. I told them about it, but they said to keep it.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What note? Service recovery right?

I stayed at the IC Berchtesgaden last year and had made individual one night reward bookings for 2 rooms to retain some flexibility in my schedule (you can't modify points bookings later online and award inventory may be used up).

Anyways, as RA back then I got a welcome gift (some sweets / pastries) and a bottle of Austrian red wine. Fine for the first night, but on the second day they brought a new bottle and gift so I told them about it so that they can stop it (yeah silly me right ). Well while overall a great hotel I found staff don't communicate well with each other and are slow to respond / get back on customer queries (YMMV). So of course the wine kept coming every day of my stay with glasses and all piling up.

I gave up to correct them and my mother took a case (6 bottles) of Austrian red home and we drank one bottle while there. Did I feel bad about it, not at all.

Last edited by demue; Oct 11, 2014 at 12:46 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Enjoy.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since it is clearly for someone else ( given the note ) , then I would contact the reception and let them know about the situation.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since it is clearly for someone else ( given the note ) , then I would contact the reception and let them know about the situation.
Too late. Hic!

Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I agree with letting reception know, but only after drinking the bottle yourself. It's nice to tell them in any case so they can send another bottle to the intended recipient.

However when we came back to our IC suite late at night after dinner and found not only the bottle of Champagne, but the bed and bath strewn with fresh rose petals, I thought by that time it was just too late for them to rush to Mr. Abdul Azziz's suite to redo it all again.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:29 am
uk1
Suspended

You should be ashamed of yourself for those few moments you hesitated. Outrageous.

Clearly the staff got your name wrong on the note. DYKWIA !!!

It would have been quite wrong for you to let this go to waste or unappreciated. Think of all those starving people. Do the right thing. You know it makes sense. Drink the wine and when done put the remnants outside someone elses suite/room so as not to confuse anyone at the hotel. It isn't fair to cause uneccessary confusion. If you really must, let the reception know they spelt your name severely wrong - "but thanks - it was a kind and thoughtful way of apologising".

Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Too late. Hic!

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this.

Dave, I'll bet you miss out on all sorts of fun.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:43 am

Ask the front desk to connect you to Mr who-ever-was-on-that-letter... while taking a sip?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Drink it immediately, of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.