Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable Walk by Candlewood Suites FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Unbelievable Walk by Candlewood Suites FLL

It's 3:30 am, and I have to be awake in a couple hours.. I'm sooo angry.. I booked a room at the Candle wood Suites FLL.. I applied for and was approved for a BRG.. My flight was severely delayed so I called the property to kindly tell them I would be late.. I was informed that the FD canceled my booking without calling me because they couldn't authorize my CC on my $0 rate.. He then told me he was sold out and I would have to go elsewhere. After hanging up I realized there was a security hold on my CC, which I fixed.. I went online, and the hotel was still available to book.. I booked it and even used a different CC.. I was confirmed yet again. Flew to FLL arrived at 3am, called the hotel, and he canceled me again, and booked me at the HIX.. Arrived there, and I am paying a full rate here.
I am a platinum member earned over lots of stays, and this is a first for me.. The Candlewood FD will do nothing, and the HIX agent is surprised at the treatment.. Called IHG and they keep connecting me to a closed down office.. Can't do anything, and I have to leave in a few hours... Avoid the Candlewood Suites FLL airport at all costs... I can only imagine how long this will take to resolve..
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Wow, what a mess. I can only imagine the headache you'll get while trying to explain this to an IHG agent over the phone. If it were me, I would just dispute the charge with my CC company.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
That is horrible. I'd definitely dispute the charge, as Travel suggested. In addition to calling and speaking to the phone agent, I'd also email (always best to have documentation) and CC both hotels and request that the email be responded to by management. I'd then send all written communications to the bank to back up your dispute.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
The person who responds to their TripAdvisor reviews is copied/pasted below. Worth an email:

Alex Mendoza
Director of Revenue
Luckey's Management
E-Mail: [email protected]
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:01 am

I'd file it as a concern and also send it through to IHG Care asking for it to be escalated immediately as well as emailing the revenue manager above.

I'd be looking for points to the equivalent of a free night at a similar property for the BRG, full refund and further points to equivalent of a free night at this property for the rank incompetence that has been demonstrated.

That and the General Manager on the phone pronto to explain what kind of show he is running here.

It's just a pity you arrived in the middle of the night, hopefully you get this sorted.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Not quite sure to understand the rationality behind such behaviour of the hotel (as the hotel seemed not to be full).
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:11 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I don't see reason for disputing the charge -- the HIX provided a room and will expect to be paid for it.

Since you had a valid reservation for the CW, and the CW walked you, they are responsible to pay for the first night. Just escalate it with the hotel and IHG to get your money back from them.

HTB.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by htb
I don't see reason for disputing the charge -- the HIX provided a room and will expect to be paid for it.

Since you had a valid reservation for the CW, and the CW walked you, they are responsible to pay for the first night. Just escalate it with the hotel and IHG to get your money back from them.

HTB.

What you don't understand is that the HIX FLL is owned by the same company who owns the Candlewood Suites FLL. This is a bait and switch. The OP is well within his rights to dispute the charge, considering the circumstances.

Here's a link to all their properties

http://www.hospitalityonline.com/emp...6112/locations

I've stayed at this Candlewood, and the front desk clerks are awful. One of them is literally a child, who can't handle situations to save his life. I'm guessing you dealt with him. I had an issue, and elevated it to one of the managers the following morning after my check out. They resolved it to my liking, following IHG's rules (which the front desk boy was clearly unaware of and had no intention on honoring at the time).
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
It gets better...
I made several calls to IHG, and finally got someone to call the Candlewood... She told me that they would pay for my HIX stay, and to tell the FD on checkout to bill the CW.. I told the FD girl who just shrugged at me, and didn't even say a word (wonderful hotels here...) Two days later I was charged..
Called the CW, and was told that they did NOT pay for the HIX.. The manager Juan... Offered me points.. Yet would not refund my stay... After arguing he gave me an ultimatum. Points or refund... Considering the situation I want both.. He said no.. He will not acknowledge that a walk occurred.. I still paid for the night at another hotel.. I'm beyond disgusted at this point.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754
It gets better...
I made several calls to IHG, and finally got someone to call the Candlewood... She told me that they would pay for my HIX stay, and to tell the FD on checkout to bill the CW.. I told the FD girl who just shrugged at me, and didn't even say a word (wonderful hotels here...) Two days later I was charged..
Called the CW, and was told that they did NOT pay for the HIX.. The manager Juan... Offered me points.. Yet would not refund my stay... After arguing he gave me an ultimatum. Points or refund... Considering the situation I want both.. He said no.. He will not acknowledge that a walk occurred.. I still paid for the night at another hotel.. I'm beyond disgusted at this point.
Don't waste your time with Juan anymore. Take the refund he offered, and then go to IHG directly to get the points. Then post a complaint on TripAdvisor.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I believe the properties have to pay a fine ($150?) if a complaint is lodged against them by a guest who calls corporate. Make them pay the fine by calling in, OP.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Don't waste your time with Juan anymore. Take the refund he offered, and then go to IHG directly to get the points. Then post a complaint on TripAdvisor.
I think it's already done
http://www.tripadvisor.fr/ShowUserRe...eview289890530

The reviews on TripAdvisor are by the - surprisingly - good.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Not quite sure to understand the rationality behind such behaviour of the hotel (as the hotel seemed not to be full).
Did you see that OP got a free night via BRG? The hotel has to pay for it since OP found a lower price than IHG.com. By cancelling OP's reservation, the hotel doesn't have to loose $.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
Did you see that OP got a free night via BRG? The hotel has to pay for it since OP found a lower price than IHG.com. By cancelling OP's reservation, the hotel doesn't have to loose $.
Actually I did not know that hotel had to pay when a cheaper price can be found.

In such perspective, maybe it was not that smart (read risky) to check-in late AND ask for BRG, wasn't it?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
In such perspective, maybe it was not that smart (read risky) to check-in late AND ask for BRG, wasn't it?
Not at all, that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it.

In retrospect, the hotel did NOTHING wrong to cancel his original reservation, as his credit card could not be authorized....even it as for $0. IHG is very clear in saying that your card must still be able to accept preauthorizations.

It was his second reservation where the hotel blatantly screwed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.