Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: good redemption rates

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25000 (approx. 10000)

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply: business

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I can choose my own airlines, since I fly for pleasure.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: U.S. domestic and Mexico; sometimes transatlantic

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: PHX

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply: No notable status. I have almost 187,000 miles banked in my American Express Rewards program.

Reply: Southwest, Aloha Airlines
ibjoeltest likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
I live in Canada and have, for a long time, collected Avion points thru RBC and transferred twice a year to BAEC getting the 50% bonus at that time. It's worked pretty well for me except for the terrible costs that BA seems to charge for redemptions. I have recently booked flights to Asia using my Avios points in J Class and this has left me pretty low. We normally use our points for long haul flights in J and pay for economy on shorter ones.

My question is should I continue to transfer to Avios or should I consider transferring to AA instead. Transferring to AA I would get a 25% bonus. The next major trip we will be planning is to Europee.

I just tried a dummy booking on AA for next year to Europe and couldn't find anything in J although there seemed to be availability in First .I found their system a bit difficult to follow but I suppose I'd get used to it.

Below are your questions and my answers.

What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Good award redemption rates & better award access

Reply:
6 flights (2 long haul)

Reply:
Economy (J for long haul redemptions)

Reply: Pleasure, any airline can be considered

Reply: US, Europe, Mexico and Canada

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: YVR

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: No status.

Reply:Non

Also, I mainly earn points with my credit card
Thanks for any help!

ajudy
ibjoeltest likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:22 pm

Would like some advice/tips/help

Hi,

I'm VERY new to this forum (first post), and I joined primarily to seek for some help. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post, and if it isn't I'm hoping someone can guide me to the right direction. I've pretty much already chosen an airline I want to be dedicated to, and I'm trying to get advice from people who have a lot of experience with the specific airline I have chosen. I want to be able to achieve "status" and having business/first upgrades, lounge access, discounted airfare, etc. to be a normal thing. I don't mind applying for a card, flying often, etc. I would just like to have that status. One thing I should tell you guys is I don't fly for business, and I do use my own personal money to travel. I plan to travel most of the time with my significant other and a pet (carry-on pet). While I'm not rich and can't afford to buy upgrades outright, I do save a lot of my money to try and go on short 3-5 day vacations every couple months. It's safe to assume that I'm willing to fly 5-6 times a year domestically, and once a year internationally (to Thailand from US). So if anyone can help me get on the right track to get me eligible for upgrades, cheap airfare, etc. I'd be willing to do what you tell me to do. I figured some of you might know some easy ways to achieve status, like go on certain flights often, etc. Certain cards to apply for, certain deals to take advantage of that give bonus miles, etc. The airline I have chosen is Delta. I will fill out the questionnaire below.

Reply: Upgrades, upgrades, upgrades, GUARANTEED upgrades, not last minute counter asking upgrades. I have no problem paying for tickets (reasonable priced) if I'm some premium member getting guaranteed complimentary upgrades. I'm not looking for a program to get free tickets, I'll pay, I just want the free upgrades since I'm going to try and fly often :P

Reply: <25,000 miles, 4-6 flights, would be a lot more if flying out of my airport domestically was under $200 round trip lol, but I have to pay for me and my wife, so in my eyes the airfare doubles :P

Reply: premium economy for international, economy for domestic

Reply: I choose Delta, and I travel for pleasure.

Reply: US domestic, but I do go to Asia (Thailand) once a year.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: SGF (Springfield-Branson Regional Airport)

Reply: No status, I want status lol.

Reply: Delta preferred because of friendly international pet policy. We refuse to board if our pet can't board with us.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out!! I really would love to make more trips, but I can't afford it because flying out of SGF is expensive. If Delta gave me $200-400 round-trip prices + upgrades to any airport domestically I would fly so much more often!! but being an average customer, paying average prices all the time I can't fly as often I want to know the tricks everyone uses for their cheap airfare and upgrades! I've talked to a few people that tell me they don't even fly that often and get the hook-ups! someone show me the ways!

thanks!!
ibjoeltest likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:23 pm

Planning for my RTW trip

Hello fellow frequent flyers,

I'm planning for my 6 month long RTW trip starting next Feb. My friend referred me to our forum upon hearing about my plan (which I am so thankful that he did). I do fly internationally at least once a year (US - ASIA). Since I am going to spend a fair amount of money on airline tickets next year, I am looking for a suitable frequent flyer program. I appreciate your help!!

What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Reply: Good award redemption rates & better award access

Reply:<25000 miles, <25 flights

Reply: Economy

Reply: I travel for pleasure

Reply: US - Asia.

Reply: Boston Logan

Reply: No status.

Reply: Japan Airlines.

Thank you!!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I usually travel twice a year with my spouse to vacation destinations and wanted to know if we could reap any travel benefits like collecting travel rewards/air miles/upgrade class/lounge access etc. I also wanted to know if there are any good frequent flyer programs that I can be a part of to avail benefits.

Questionnaire

Reply: Upgrades

Reply:25,000 miles. 2 flights.

Reply: Yes. Travel for pleasure.

Reply: Transatlantic.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: YYZ

Reply: No. Not a part of any FFP currently.

Reply: No preference but prefer to avoid US based airlines.
ibjoeltest likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: UA Gold
As a young professional who combines his travel for work and pleasure and all over the US usually on the west coast I’ve gone with United. With all of my friends on the west coast especially in Oregon and California I’ve found no problems finding flights to them. I also have a sister in NYC and have had good experiences on the PS flights on United. And with my father over in Hong Kong the San Francisco direct flight on UA has met my needs. Also UA has flown everywhere I’ve needed to move to for work. Problem is UA no longer flies into my hometown and I’m getting tired of the regional jets. I’m currently Oregon based, but going to move to HKG it looks like splitting my time between both there and the USA. I've built up over 100,000 lifetime UA miles and just in early 20's.

1. Extra legroom seats availability for members of that airlines FFP
2. Baggage allowance
3. Priority Services
4. Upgrades
5. Award redemption rates
6. Lounge access

It varies from 25,000 to at least 50,000 with the possibility for more. Usually less than 25 flights (I take the UA nonstop from SFO-HKG/HKG-SFO multiple times a year)

Reply: I am able to choose my airlines factoring price and flight schedules. I travel for both.

Reply: Mostly domestic, few transcons, and the UA SFO-HKG nonstop

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: Use to be LMT, but now will be PDX/HKG mostly. Occasionally Medford/Eugene.

Reply: UA Silver for now, but will getting at least Gold this year.

UA

For me I would like to find one airline to handle the bulk of my travel and maintain some status, but keep other airlines open based upon price and flight schedules.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:02 am

Stick with BA while moving states-side?

Hi,

I am a professional currently based in London. Soon enough I will be to the US, and my home airport will move from LHR to SFO. Wondering if it makes sense to move from BA (where you cannot do anything with the "avios" to a different FFP where I may get upgrades).

Reply: Upgrades.

Reply: 50,000 miles, about 20 round trip flights a year.

Reply: economy

Reply: Able to choose, travel for work and for pleasure

Reply: Now: Domestic Europe, Once I move - SFO->JFK at least 4xyear and international (Singapore, South America, etc)

Reply: Now: LHR, Soon:SFO

Reply:BA Silver

Reply: Would appreciate your recommendations
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: CX DM
New FlyerTalk member here...I will be flying weekly roundtrip between NY and LA soon (with 1-2 trips a year to Hong Kong thrown in too) and was wondering which airline elite program would be good for me. The only amenity i would care about is good wifi since that makes the flight pass by quicker.

I was checking out Virgin America, Jetblue Mint, and AA Platinum Challenge (since it's oneworld with Cathay Pacific)...any other ones I should look into?

I could use any advice on what airline loyalty program is best for me. Soon, I will be flying between NYC and LA weekly with the occasional trip to Hong Kong

Reply:

Has fast wifi on board, seat is comfortable to work, minimal change fee...think office in the sky. I prefer non stop if possible.

Reply:

~5,000 (LA/NYC roundtrip) x 50 weeks = ~250,000+

Reply:

premium economy

Reply:

both...i try to save money by not choosing first class but i still like amenities such as wifi

Reply:

Between NYC and LA/BUR...occasional to SJC/SFO, LAS, and HKG

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:

JFK/EWR

Reply:

Been flying Virgin America because of wifi but was looking into others (like Jetblue Mint). I usually fly cathay pacific to HKG.

Reply:

Virgin America, Jetblue, or Cathay Pacific

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 3, 2014 at 7:25 pm Reason: Crossposting is not permitted; second post moved to proper thread and merged with previous query
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Quality of flight experience, lounges and earning award travel at a good rate that isn't difficult to book online.
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: Between 125K and 175K, sometimes a bit more, over the last few years. Usually minimum 4 long haul flights from Asia to North America and many other shorter ones within Asia or USA.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Premium Econ, sometimes business, and economy
Reply:
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:I can choose my airline and I can choose prem. economy for long flights. Otherwise I can but I'm middle class and don't spend too much to upgrade. I've flown Malaysia and Philippines long haul biz class as they're markedly cheaper (and not the same level as other asian airlines). Flew Korean biz for work a few years back, and EVA business and BA business a few times over the last 24 months.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often - short haul from HKG, and LAS-NYC and 4 times a year, HKG/SFO or LAX.
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:HKG
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: BAEC Bronze.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Cathay, Korean
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:39 am

Reply: Lounge Access, Priority Services & Upgrades. Good award redemption is something I think everyone wants. I imagine I would be redeeming miles mainly on leisure transatlantic travel in coach, or on European short-haul trips (again for leisure and in coach).

Reply: 50000+ miles.

Reply: Economy.

Reply: A mix of both business and pleasure, usually able to choose airline within reason but class of service will almost always be economy.

Reply: Significant transatlantic travel with US domestic connections to secondary cities, some European short-haul with mileage-accrual eligible airlines (and some on Ryanair ) and very occasional Ireland-Australasia travel (MH, EK, EY).

Reply: DUB/BFS/BHD (all are convenient).

Reply: Negligible (<10k) miles banked with AAdvantage. I have never seriously considered mileage programmes before now as I have always taken whatever flight is booked for me without requesting an alternative, leading to high churn.

Reply: On TATL routes I have no preference but would like to avoid AC Rouge.
As there is little other choice from Ireland, I fly EI quite a lot both to the rest of Europe (UK and continent) and across the Atlantic. Occasionally this involves B6/UA codeshares within the US.
After the merger, AA will be the largest American legacy operating from Dublin too which is important.
To Australasia EY, EK and MH are all excellent (but the former two can get me there with only 1 stop).

Last edited by ConorW; Aug 5, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Definitely have a look at banking BAEC avios for the Aer Lingus Ireland to Boston redemptions. The award costs are very low, and since you do short haul around Europe, I think Avios would be very effective for award travel for you as well in that arena.

Originally Posted by ConorW
Reply: Lounge Access, Priority Services & Upgrades. Good award redemption is something I think everyone wants. I imagine I would be redeeming miles mainly on leisure transatlantic travel in coach, or on European short-haul trips (again for leisure and in coach).

Reply: 50000+ miles.

Reply: A mix of both business and pleasure, usually able to choose airline within reason but class of service will almost always be economy.

Reply: Significant transatlantic travel with US domestic connections to secondary cities, some European short-haul with mileage-accrual eligible airlines (and some on Ryanair ) and very occasional Ireland-Australasia travel (MH, EK, EY).

Reply: DUB/BFS/BHD (all are convenient).

Reply: Negligible (<10k) miles banked with AAdvantage. I have never seriously considered mileage programmes before now as I have always taken whatever flight is booked for me without requesting an alternative, leading to high churn.

Reply: On TATL routes I have no preference but would like to avoid AC Rouge.
As there is little other choice from Ireland, I fly EI quite a lot both to the rest of Europe (UK and continent) and across the Atlantic. Occasionally this involves B6/UA codeshares within the US.
After the merger, AA will be the largest American legacy operating from Dublin too which is important.
To Australasia EY, EK and MH are all excellent (but the former two can get me there with only 1 stop).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Reply: lounge access, good redemption rates, baggage allowance, upgrades, priority services

Reply: This year and next year I will be travelling quite extensively. This year over 50K, next year over 100K. However, after next year, I imagine my travel will drop to 25-50K.

Reply: business for transatlantic flights, and economy for flights to the US

Reply: I can choose my own airlines. Both business and pleasure.

Reply: U.S. domestic, YYZ-LHR-HYD

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: YYZ

Reply: My travel schedule has really just started ramping up. I am currently just a BA Bronze and have no current status with Air Canada. However, I expect to take 2 business class tickets from YYZ to HYD and one economy ticket from YYZ to SFO this year.

Reply: Air Canada, British Airways

Other notes:
My travel schedule for 2014 and 2015 will ramp up significantly. If I fly my remaining flights this year, I should be able to reach Elite50K easily on AC. However, I'm puzzled as to whether I should direct all my flights to *A or with OneWorld. Because of my extensive travel from YYZ to HYD scheduled for this year and next year, should I consolidate with one alliance or split? In other words, many reasonable options to fly AC from YYZ-LHR, and then BA from LHR-HYD, but I can also stick with *A and fly with Air India, Lufthansa.

I welcome your thoughts. Sorry, I'm a true newbie. I've never really followed FFP until a few months ago and now I'm trying to understand mileage runs...LOL.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Reply:Lounge access, baggage allowance, priority boarding/TSA PreCheck, good award redemption rates

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: <25,000 in economy.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Leisure travel. Can choose airlines. Class of service is budget limited.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: Couple times SEA->PHL/EWR, SEA-EUR, SEA-ICN

Reply: SEA

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: *G with Aegean, 160k miles in United, 100k miles in Delta. Wife is *G with Asiana.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Due to our *G status, we used to stick to Star Alliance. Since US Airways left *A (for PHL flights) and United went to revenue-based FFP we're trying to figure out which FFP to stick with.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:51 pm

Moving to the Middle East

Hello,
I’m moving my family from SLC to DMM. Future travel will be two or three family vacations a year. We’ll do DMM-SLC or IND and connect between them every year. For the others we’re planning to do europe and south Asia. Right about 20-25k miles.

Reply:

(In order of importance)Miles usable within the US. Prefer to be able to continue with the same FFP when we move back to the US someday. Good redemption rates/availability. CC program(Putting $20k to $25k annually on a card shouldn't be a problem with at least $10k going to airfare). It would be nice to be able to consolidate qual. miles to one family member for better status.
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:

The move this year is one-way business class purchased by employer(9,300 miles+BClass multiplier)
Starting next year: 25000-50000, <25 each. Probably all economy.

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:

Economy, rarely Business, not cheapest if it means 3+ stops and multiple long layovers. Tough on the kids..
Reply:

Yes and yes. Primarily pleasure.
Reply:

Transatlantic most often and a US domestic between SLC and IND annually. We will also do europe and South Aisa
Reply:

DMM will be home
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:

DAL and UA Silver until this year. No banked miles left at the moment.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:

Emirates, Etihad, perhaps KLM or Lufthansa. Trying to avoid less comfortable US carriers especially for the long transatlantic flights. Traveling with small kids, one long leg with short connections on either end (DMM-DXB-LAX-SLC) is preferred to multiple long legs such as stopping in Europe or the US East coast.
I can't ignore DAL because of direct flights to SLC from AMS and CDG allowing us to exit customs at SLC and the trip duration is a little shorter. DAL also flies direct between family in SLC and IND.

AS recently boosted their service to SLC and using them to bank Emirates miles and to book domestic flights on DAL is attractive, however it seams that originating and terminating your travel in the Middle East disqualifies you from much of the EK/AS benefits.

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:48 pm

consolidation FF program's

Hi all,

I currently feel like I have too many FF programs and am looking to consolidate into the best program for my needs. I'm currently taking a year off to travel, so I want to try and use this time to attain points and status before needing to rejoin the real world at the end of next year!

- upgrades
- extra baggage
- good redemption rates
- lounge access

- normally once a year
- but this year it's been close to 15 flights, 50,000 miles

- cheapest or business on sale

- I choose the flights
- pleasure

- MEL-HKG

- MEL

- too many!
QF: silver, 60,000
AA: none, 85,000 (considering platinum challenge for bonus points)
AS: none, 56,000
CX Asia miles: none, 32,000
A3: blue, 11,000

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:Any

I should probably put this in the OW forum too as my main concern is which OW airline should I stick with! In regards to status, should I chase qantas gold or simply do the AA challenge to obtain OW sapphire and receive bonus points? I think I can reach both QF gold and AA platinum this year to be valid til next year but I'm not sure it's the right move. There's also the problem of flying CX a lot and not earning many points on AA!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Kerry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.