BLR hotel near airport? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BLR hotel near airport? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GfL
You have a point. I will be staying at the Novotel HYD on this trip, which I think counts (it's not really high-end, but at least up to a normal Western business standard)--but I struggle to come up with anything similar elsewhere in India. I don't understand why this should be such a challenge, particularly when the new airports going up are 40-60 minutes (or more) away from city centers, surrounded by not much.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
For that matter, with the exception of BOM, there are very few high end properties near any of the airports in India. DEL & MAA do have a Radisson near each but I'd not put them as very high end properties. MAA has a new Hilton in Guindy albeit not that very close to be considered an airport hotel.
del also has a jw marriott which opened recently....there are another dozen or so properties that are due to open in aerocity within the next year or so....
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
For that matter, with the exception of BOM, there are very few high end properties near any of the airports in India. DEL & MAA do have a Radisson near each but I'd not put them as very high end properties. MAA has a new Hilton in Guindy albeit not that very close to be considered an airport hotel.
There's a new Courtyard Marriott that's pretty much opposite the Cochin Airport. Pretty decent hotel.

MAA has a Trident as well which is technically the nearest to the airport and there's a Le Meridien as well that's pretty close to the airport.

HYD has a Novotel airport hotel (not within walking distance from the hotel though)..but there's a fairly regualr shuttle plying the route though..

It's understandably not as developed a market as say the US where most airports in the metro's would have a plethora of airport hotel options to choose from.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
How is it that there are no high-end chain properties near BLR? The airport's been open for years!
Why would anyone build a high-end hotel at the airport? There's no hub-and-spoke system like the US, not many overnight connections required. You wouldn't want to stay at the airport if you had business in the city: your commute time would be dreadful (well, less so now the flyovers are complete, but that's only in the past month or so).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by NickW
Why would anyone build a high-end hotel at the airport? There's no hub-and-spoke system like the US, not many overnight connections required. You wouldn't want to stay at the airport if you had business in the city: your commute time would be dreadful (well, less so now the flyovers are complete, but that's only in the past month or so).
Why? Because there are plenty of travelers who don't feel like taking the very long schlep into town when all they are doing is flying in and out of the airport. I'm flying into BLR at 10:20 PM, taking a short-hop flight early the next morning and returning that night, and flying out again at 8 AM on day 2. I am not visiting the city of Bangalore at all, but I need to be at the airport because that's the jumping-off point to get to somewhere else.

Alternately, if one has a super-early departure or super-late arrival (in other words, if one is traveling in India at all!), staying close to the airport is a big plus.

Additionally, if you read this forum for just a few days you should realize that plenty of overnight connections in India are, indeed, required.

I doubt I am the only person to be interested in this sort of thing.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Hotel Near Airport

Movenpick: Good Hotel. Closest 5* to the Airport, off the Outer Ring Road. could take anywhere betw 25 - 40 Mins of Taxi. The Hotel is in a residential area and not very known to the taxi Drivers. Nothing (Really) nearby the hotel.

The Hotel itself is good but the restaurants are ghost towns at times.

Runs around 5-7K INR per night.

Clarks Exotica: Resort type Accomodation, Closer to Airport (10 Mins) but inside a residential township. May need some help with Navigation by taxi or use the hotel Car (500 INR) 4* type rooms. The place is perfectly fine for a quick night layover.

Runs around 4.5K INR per night - NO Online booking, Call and negotiate.

Stayed in both the places in the last 3 months.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:21 am

I think i may be late in this thread, but it may help people in future.
1. Olde Bangalore Resort
2. Chairmans Club and Resort
3. Shreyas Residency
4. Ramanshree California Resort
5. Royal Orchid Doddis Resort
6. Clarks Exotica President Hotel
7. Angsana Hotels and Resorts
8. The Basil Hotel
9. Hotel Royal Senate
10. Nandhini Group of Hotels

these are the hotels near BIA
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:59 am

Well it looks like Taj is building a high end hotel directly across from BLR airport. Let's not forget that Bangalore is growing very quickly and major airports become commerce hubs even when they're out in the hinterlands. They don't stay hinterlands for long.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Any experience of the airside hotel 080 - https://080-blr.com/?

I'm expecting to be departing on BA118 at 6.45am in a couple of months' time, wondering if I can check in online (no checked baggage), come airside the previous evening and stay there before the early departure?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by BA97

I'm expecting to be departing on BA118 at 6.45am in a couple of months' time, wondering if I can check in online (no checked baggage), come airside the previous evening and stay there before the early departure?
You'll only be let into the airport (entry gate security) 4 hrs prior to departure time.. 6 at most.. + In india - BA online check-in gives you "entry pass" but still have to go to check-in desk to get actual BP - the mobile app doesnt load the BP (atleast that was my experience)

Recommend landside hotel.. Taj Vivanta is 5 min walk from terminal..
BA97 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by BA97

How did this work out for you? I'm planning on arriving during the ME arrival bank (2-4 AM) before taking a separate domestic flight around 11AM.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta
(I realize I'm responding to a nearly decade-old comment.) Having flown to and from Bangalore many times in the last several years, here's my take. I, personally, when traveling for work, want to minimize commute time to the work location and therefore always find a hotel in the city somewhere. However, more than once I've talked to leisure travelers to Bangalore (from the US, mainly) who quite appreciate having a 5-star hotel right next to the airport for a couple of reason, which I do understand. First, they have read all the lurid headlines about how late-night travel on the airport road to/from the city is risky, with reports of robberies by random people on the highway or sometimes by the taxi driver or Uber driver himself, and high levels of fraud and harassment by taxis - taking you by the Bagalur bypass route to avoid the tolls and then shake you down for money in a desolate area for instance. Unfortunately many arrivals from the US are after midnight, and so are departures to the US. To avoid this, many are willing to pay to stay one night at the Taj at the airport when they arrive, and sometimes also to stay there the day before their departure (most departures to the US are after midnight, 2am, 4am, even 7am) so they don't have to travel on the airport road after dark. Some of the news reports even make me stop and think - and I like to think of myself as being used to most things India can throw at me - a year or more ago there was a story of a "gang" that would place logs or tree trunks on the airport road to force taxis to stop, and then systematically loot the occupants. Or the same done by roving gangs of motorcycle riders who force the taxis to stop. What can one do in such a situation?

Second, it is a really long drive from the airport to most parts of the core of the city! Many don't relish the hour to hour and a half, maybe even two hours if destination on the south side of the city, of driving into town right after the misery of 20+ hours on planes and would rather just sleep right away at the Taj. Can't blame them. If the flight arrives after 2am, and you are unlucky enough to spend an hour getting through immigration and all that, well, you may really want to just catch a bit of sleep when you can, no?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:05 pm

Walking to the Taj Bangalore from Arrivals?

How easy is it to walk to the Taj Bangalore from the arrivals section of the airport? Do I just cut through the parking lot & cross the multiple "Devanhalli Airport Roads"? Google Maps overhead view is old and only shows construction, I can't see if the roads shown are pedestrian friendly or vehicle only elevated access roads.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta
I don't know if anything has changed with the configuration of the roads and access following the construction of the new Terminal 2. However, in the past what I saw was that if you simply kept walking along the curb outside the airport building (the taxi pick-up/drop-off area) (along in the direction rightward if you are facing the terminal building from the outside), it curved around a bit, and you could walk on the sidewalk along the road that continues at right angles to the terminal building, and then on to road that crosses it until the Taj. Or cut across the Uber parking lot and employee cafeteria space and save a few steps. Relatively easy, no worry of needing to dodge high-speed traffic on the roads or anything like that, and relatively flat surfaces that you can rolled luggage along on.

This may help: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...l=en&entry=ttu

But caveat - I know the roads have changed quite a bit now that T2 is open, so I don't know if the same easy walk is possible now.
GMOChicken likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:25 am

Re walking from the BLR airport to The Taj Bangalore

There is a new partially complete pedestrian walkway that is much shorter than the above route. As you exit the T1 terminal building, turn right and walk past the uber pickup area till you reach the signs pointing to Parking/Ola, then follow the signs to Parking/P3, this takes you to a parking structure & elevated pedestrian bridge that is next to the hotel.

There does not appear to be a way to walk from the new T2 terminal building. But there is an inter terminal shuttle, so you could take the shuttle to T1 and walk from there.
Bandicoot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.