Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI nonstop BLR / DEL- SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Well this is after all times of india. Unless its a news article relating to some innuendo crap its rarely makes the news. But this caught my eye in my news feed.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/49038356.cms

From what I know they only have 3 of the 200LR's left. rest were sold to Etihad. AI does have a new MD but I doubt if this would make economic sense....
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Just another Jumla (PR spin-doctoring not based on reality)!

This one is to coincide with Dear Leader's upcoming visit to SFO!

Never gonna happen! Even if it is launched(unlikely), dont see it sustaining past 3 months! Until the next foreign trip!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
EK did years of studies about the financials of DXB-PTY route before eventually launching.
I'm skeptical that anyone within AI has done the same and then approved the route.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The two 77L left in the AI fleet (VT-ALF and ALH) are indeed twiddling thumbs flying 2-3h missions, probably as check/training flights for 777 pilots to keep their licences. Really sad. VT-ALG has been stored since ages, its probably waiting to be sold.

That said I really doubt SFO would make sense. More here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...op-flight.html
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by deovrat
EK did years of studies about the financials of DXB-PTY route before eventually launching.
There is probably a large group of aviation analysts from USA who disagree with your statement/assertion.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This would make the longest flight.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Airlines usually start marketing and load their reservation systems months in advance - minimum 4 months atleast! AI has not done this for SFO! Yet the route was announced!

Dear Leader is leaving for SFO on another foreign junket today and needs grandiose announcements to make! This is one of those!

Just like the $3 billion arms deals "approved in principle" - also something that is never going to happen!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just got back from sfo this morning....a non-stop to india would have been great but i agree with others, its not likely to happen....just seems like another pr stunt....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well... the Chinese just did a similar tour of the US and announced a big aircraft order, a boeing completion line in China etc... I can very well imagine that Modi will announce grand plans for a west coast AI flight at the Arena in SJC this Sunday. Wether its pragmatic or makes commerical sense is on another page. This is AI and Indian politics after all.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:22 pm

Indeed ... bling over substance!

Originally Posted by ashishp
Dear Leader is leaving for SFO on another foreign junket today and needs grandiose announcements to make! This is one of those! Just like the $3 billion arms deals "approved in principle" - also something that is never going to happen!
Wow ... turns out I started that thread

Originally Posted by oliver2002

That said I really doubt SFO would make sense. More here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...op-flight.html
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:42 am

AI announces Longest Flight in the world! Non-stop BLR-SFO !

Well, I'll be damned !

This just in:

AI CMD Mr. Lohani announces flt to San Francisco from Bangalore.
Flight will be 16 hrs non stop & 3 times a week.

This flight will take over the mantle of being the longest in the world (8701 miles) from QF's SYD-DFW (8578 miles) and EK's yet to start DXB-PTY (85788 miles) route.
More details to be announced soon as to the starting date and so on, but I think we can all agree on the choice of aircraft.
Only one can do this haul: 777-200LR.
Good to see those birds stretching their legs after lying idle.

I really, really, really hope that AI has done proper homework for this and will make this work.

https://twitter.com/airindiain/statu...51149904347136

Update: AI revises its own statement and announces DEL to SFO non-stop flight with connections from elsewhere into DEL. Starts Dec 2, 2015.

https://twitter.com/airindiain/statu...13086033858560

Last edited by deovrat; Sep 27, 2015 at 6:53 am Reason: AI changes its own statement
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:29 am

Economy passengers will have lot of fun
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:18 am

While I don't want to sound negative, such announcements made in excited situations for emotional reasons won't last long.

BLR, though a tech city, may not have traffic and cargo to sustain such route profitably. If they had done BLR-NYC, and found a good partner in that hub (UA?) for further connections, it could have been sustained perhaps.

Not long ago, AI did BOM-LAX with one stop and burnt its finger.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by kshastry
While I don't want to sound negative, such announcements made in excited situations for emotional reasons won't last long.

BLR, though a tech city, may not have traffic and cargo to sustain such route profitably. If they had done BLR-NYC, and found a good partner in that hub (UA?) for further connections, it could have been sustained perhaps.

Not long ago, AI did BOM-LAX with one stop and burnt its finger.
I think most of us on this forum feel along the same lines.

I'd have thought even DEL-SFO would make more sense, with BLR-DEL a tag flight; on the lines of current AI 126 HYD-DEL-ORD.
DEL is undeniably a better hub, you have good presence, plus DEL originating traffic would help too. Pure O&D traffic from BLR who wants to pay top dollar for a non-stop wouldn't necessarily fill this flight with enough loads to sustain the route.

Well I guess its better than keeping those 77Ls idle, but can't help but feel this route won't see the success they envision this to be.
This was purely a "See how we made AI a World Class airline by introducing a longest flight" kinda political announcement.

Update: Its indeed a DEL-SFO flight after all ! AI just revised its statement.
I should buy a lottery ticket today !

Last edited by deovrat; Sep 27, 2015 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Well it seems they announced a VIDP KSFO 3x weekly on their remaining 200LR s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.