Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by anp328
Hello, i have read all the messages posted re mumbai airport transfer guide (dom to int'l) and have to agree that it is very infomative..thanks guys.

I will be travelling to mumbai from goa (by Jet) and transfer to singapore (kingfisher) soon, just wondering whether anyone can give a later account of the free shuttle bus service from domestic to int'l airport.

I have never been to the mumbai domestic airport before, and I do not want to exit the airport by mistake and miss the bus. I have only around 3 1/2 hours for transfer.

Any new input with pictures will be truly appreciated.
the bus is supposed to run every 20 minutes but i would suggest you just take a cab....
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:27 pm

Hello, I've only read how long it would take from international to domestic and vice versa.
But how long do you need between domestic flights? I'm now looking at booking a trip from Udaipur to Bengaluru, via Mumbai. I'd arrive at 16:20 (AirIndia) and leave at 18:10 (JetAirways). Is that enough time? I don't have the same PNR so I'd have to recheck my luggage. It's my first time transfering and flying in India so not sure how it all goes.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rssrss
Hello, I've only read how long it would take from international to domestic and vice versa.
But how long do you need between domestic flights? I'm now looking at booking a trip from Udaipur to Bengaluru, via Mumbai. I'd arrive at 16:20 (AirIndia) and leave at 18:10 (JetAirways). Is that enough time? I don't have the same PNR so I'd have to recheck my luggage. It's my first time transfering and flying in India so not sure how it all goes.
Thanks for any advice.
welcome to ft rssrss....an hour & 50 minutes is more than enough time....you shouldn't have a problem....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA, VS, Hilton Honours
So my parents just did a LHR-BOM-GOI-BOM-LHR run and have a right royal nightmare on the return GOI-BOM-LHR segment.

As per the OT, the self important official at the door to the International "terminal" would not let them in more than 3hours before their flight. This was even though they were on 9W for the entire trip.

I have now found myself having to make a trip to the subcontinent and just booked LHR-BOM-UDR-BOM-LHR, but this time my internationals are with BA in J and internals with JetKonnect in Y.

I must say I am somewhat worried as my schedule is tight but within the MCT of 2Hrs but it would be nice to spend a little time in the Galleries at BOM on the return sector.

Oh yes and FYI - arrive in to LHR-BOM 00:45 and return out at 02:45 BOM-LHR - so the "you're not flying until tomorrow" line will probably be used on me!

Any advice please?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Dr P
So my parents just did a LHR-BOM-GOI-BOM-LHR run and have a right royal nightmare on the return GOI-BOM-LHR segment.

As per the OT, the self important official at the door to the International "terminal" would not let them in more than 3hours before their flight. This was even though they were on 9W for the entire trip.

I have now found myself having to make a trip to the subcontinent and just booked LHR-BOM-UDR-BOM-LHR, but this time my internationals are with BA in J and internals with JetKonnect in Y.

I must say I am somewhat worried as my schedule is tight but within the MCT of 2Hrs but it would be nice to spend a little time in the Galleries at BOM on the return sector.

Oh yes and FYI - arrive in to LHR-BOM 00:45 and return out at 02:45 BOM-LHR - so the "you're not flying until tomorrow" line will probably be used on me!

Any advice please?
It's not the calendar date but the number of hourd before your imternational departure that determines whethee uou can enter the terminal.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I will be transiting Intl->Dom, arriving early morning and leaving 11 hours later. I want to go downtown and check in my baggage or at least leave my baggage at the airport before I go. Is there any better option than arguing my way to the domestic terminal and using the "left luggage" service? Can you check in luggage for domestic flight at Intl terminal? And another question: how long to domestic terminal from the Gate of India by taxi? Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:26 am

help!!

Hi everyone!!! i really need your help!

I will be traveling from Dubai to Mumbai next week. My final destination is Surat, which means i have to go from the international to the domestic terminal... the problem is, that i would only have 70 minutes between both flights. Which means, only 25 minutes to get my lugagge and be at the domestic terminal (1b) 45 minutes before to check my lugagge again...

Is this crazy? do you think this could be possible or should i give up and go to Surat by train??

Thank you very much!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by ireldt
Hi everyone!!! i really need your help!

I will be traveling from Dubai to Mumbai next week. My final destination is Surat, which means i have to go from the international to the domestic terminal... the problem is, that i would only have 70 minutes between both flights. Which means, only 25 minutes to get my lugagge and be at the domestic terminal (1b) 45 minutes before to check my lugagge again...

Is this crazy? do you think this could be possible or should i give up and go to Surat by train??

Thank you very much!
Welcome to Flyertalk, ireldt. Unfortunately, what you propose is pretty much impossible to do. I would try a later flight (at least 2.5-3 hours between flights), or train.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:47 am

Hello, I am connecting to BLR through BOM. I will arrive into Mumbai Intl (CSIT) at 5 AM. I have following options for domestic connection. It will be on a separate ticket.

a). Take SpiceJet flight at 7.35 am
b). Take Jet or AI at 9.15 am

Will I make it to BLR if I chose option 1? Are there check-in desks for SpiceJet at CSIT?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by kshastry
Hello, I am connecting to BLR through BOM. I will arrive into Mumbai Intl (CSIT) at 5 AM. I have following options for domestic connection. It will be on a separate ticket.

a). Take SpiceJet flight at 7.35 am
b). Take Jet or AI at 9.15 am

Will I make it to BLR if I chose option 1? Are there check-in desks for SpiceJet at CSIT?

Thanks
On separate tickets, it's a gamble to do a). If all of your flights and transfers are on time, you will make it, but any delays and you likely will not.

Another thing to consider is if you will have any checked luggage. If you do, that will require more time to do the transfer. If you only have hand luggage, you can probably make the connection just fine.

SG does not have check-in facilities at CSIA.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
I just went through the Domestic - International routine in BOM. The whole process is very unpleasant.

Arrived with 9W and had to search for the door in the corner of the room where the luggage is collected. In my opinion it is not clearly marked. But at least there are a lot of signs that tell travelers with international connections not to leave the building.

Once I found the door in the corner all the luggage had to be x-rayed again and my information was entered in some kind of log-book by hand. That slowed down the transfer quite a bit. Luckily there were only a handful of passengers!

The free bus drives inside the secure area of the airport. There is a guard inside the bus besides the driver. It takes a little while for the ride, maybe 10 minutes.

Once I arrived at the international airport we were asked for tips when collecting our luggage from the bus's trunk. Other "guides" with official looking ID's around their neck were forcing their help on me. My connecting flight was with BA which departs from "D". My "guide" was semi helpful in directing me, so I gave him a little tip.

Since my flight did not leave for another 6 hours I was refused entry into the terminal building. There is an air conditioned waiting room at the very end of the airport (just past the BA entrance) where I was able to wait comfortably until I was allowed into the terminal. It cost R70 to get into the waiting room. There is a fast food stand and a bunch of seats in the room.

4 hours before my flight departed I was allowed into the terminal, checked in and waited some more in the BA lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Silver, Marriott Silver
Overnight transfer in Mumbai UA to 9W

Hello,

I will be arriving by UA day 1 night, staying at courtyard Marriott overnight and taking 9w next morning at 930. Tickets are separate and not on the same reservation. What is the chance that 9w will accept my check in bags at the intl terminal after i arrive for a flt that is next day?

Bharat
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bharatr612
Hello,

I will be arriving by UA day 1 night, staying at courtyard Marriott overnight and taking 9w next morning at 930. Tickets are separate and not on the same reservation. What is the chance that 9w will accept my check in bags at the intl terminal after i arrive for a flt that is next day?

Bharat
Happy to report that this worked....9W accepted my check-in bags at 2230 in Mumbai after arriving by UA- though the domestic 9W ticket was not on the same intl reservation and the flight was next morning at 0930
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:48 pm

Hello All!

Long time reader of this great forum and am for the first time pressed to ask a question, so here it goes.

Am planning a trip to India soon for various reasons the first leg of it will start in Jaipur and it will ultimately end in Mumbai. So am planning to purchase a round trip ticket to Mumbai and then separate tickets for domestic flights as needed. Now after reading this thread (great guide and a big thanks to henkybaby) I am slightly worried about my flight to Jaipur, namely:

I would be arriving into the international terminal at 11:45 with British Airways and then leaving for Jaipur at 14:55 with Go Air from terminal T1B. Is this enough time?

Even grating I do a web check in for Go Air before hand, I still need to pick up my luggage, get to the domestic terminal, get my boarding card stamped and check in my luggage at least 45 minutes before departure. I know I have a bit over 3 hours but is this feasible? And for you frequent travelers though Mumbai: how can I make the transfer between terminals easier? Someone earlier mentioned limo/driver services? Any suggestions for good ones?

I would really appreciate your opinions and help.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Paul Rolton
Hello All!

Long time reader of this great forum and am for the first time pressed to ask a question, so here it goes.

Am planning a trip to India soon for various reasons the first leg of it will start in Jaipur and it will ultimately end in Mumbai. So am planning to purchase a round trip ticket to Mumbai and then separate tickets for domestic flights as needed. Now after reading this thread (great guide and a big thanks to henkybaby) I am slightly worried about my flight to Jaipur, namely:

I would be arriving into the international terminal at 11:45 with British Airways and then leaving for Jaipur at 14:55 with Go Air from terminal T1B. Is this enough time?

Even grating I do a web check in for Go Air before hand, I still need to pick up my luggage, get to the domestic terminal, get my boarding card stamped and check in my luggage at least 45 minutes before departure. I know I have a bit over 3 hours but is this feasible? And for you frequent travelers though Mumbai: how can I make the transfer between terminals easier? Someone earlier mentioned limo/driver services? Any suggestions for good ones?

I would really appreciate your opinions and help.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Welcome to FT Paul

You can transfer intl arrivals to domestic departure by the airport shuttle which runs between the two terminals.. this is FoC and you need to show your domestic departure tckt / boarding pass to get into the bus.. this is a bus and it takes a route within the airport boundaries so u also save on the outside traffic and associated trouble and cost of limo / taxi service.

3 hrs that time of the day is quite easy IMHO..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.