Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I'm considering an int'l-int'l connection of about 5 hours at BOM in early March. It would be on two separate tickets, I won't be checking luggage, and I do not have an Indian visa. Also assume that I won't have the BP for my departing flight before I arrive. Is this connection as seamless as the above comments have implied, or should I be concerned about anything?
separate tickets on the same airline or 2 different airlines????
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Carriers other than 9W and AI are also available at the T2 transit desk. It's not a problem to get a boarding pass printed up in transit. This is at the current (old) airport, but I would expect something similar in the new terminal, too.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:37 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
There is no physical limitation at the current terminal at CSIA-BOM T2 (the new terminal is expected to be operational in March).
My understanding was that the new terminal is planned to open on 12 February. Has there been an additional delay announced?

Originally Posted by Keyser
separate tickets on the same airline or 2 different airlines????
Two different airlines, but both *A (NH & TG).

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Carriers other than 9W and AI are also available at the T2 transit desk. It's not a problem to get a boarding pass printed up in transit. This is at the current (old) airport, but I would expect something similar in the new terminal, too.
Thanks -- if that's the case, and there is transit security to connect arrivals with departures, then it seems like I should have no problem.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
You seem to have sufficient time on hand and shouldn't be worried about the transfer. Inbound, you would have to clear passport control (there's a dedicated lane for F / J class pax), collect bags & pass customs.

Then look out for the Jet's domestic transfer desk. There you can drop our bags and collect the Boarding passes. I am unsure about the mode of payment of excess baggage at this desk. At the domestic terminal, they do accept cards. And there's no harm in attempting for a discount / waiver with the status that you have.

Next, hop on to the inter-terminal shuttle bus to reach T1 and proceed for security, post which you can access a couple of lounges. (Check the lounge directory thread)

On the return segment, you can attempt to through check-in @ Goa, but i am unsure as it is on seprate tickets. However, upon arrival at BOM, you can still use the inter-Terminal shuttle bus and reach T2.

PS: you can only opt fot the shuttle bus service before exiting the terminal, it has a dedicated exit & entry at both terminals. If you exit the terminal using the main exit, you won't be permitted back in. Specifically, for the return segment, avoid the taxi as its peak hour for departures ex-BOM and the roads maybe choked. The inter-terminal shuttle uses the roads inside the airport perimeter and hence is not subject to the choke-up leading to the airport road.

Good Luck & Enjoy Goa..! ^
Thank you kindly GuyFromBOM, that hits the nail squarely on the head and I really appreciate it. Looking forward to Goa and some winter sun in January.

Kind regards.

20-Horse
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:52 pm

Avail of through check-in and you should be fine.
thank you for the reply.relieves me the stress of handling the baggage between terminals.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Dear All

We are arriving on BA0199 (J class) on Friday morning at 11.45 a.m.and are then due to depart to Goa on JetConnect 9W2384 in economy at 15.00.

What are the lounges like for BA when leaving BOM please?
Did you make the connection? I wouldn't have expected you to have any difficulty unless your inbound was badly delayed.

BA has its own lounge opposite gate 10, from which the BA flights board. It's pretty good, with friendly staff and not a bad buffet and bar.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Single flight number with connection?

I'm flying on GoAir from Lucknow to Bangalore via BOM.

It's a single flight number all the way (G8 - 396). There is a 35 minute connection in BOM. Do you know if this is a single aircraft or if I will have to change planes inside the terminal?

thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:09 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
you'll be inside the plane only while BOM bound pax disembark and then BLR bound pax board. a security check will happen, where they will ask to see your boarding pass.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:58 am

Only one data point, but the T2-T1 connection was substantially easier than the old Int-T1 transfer. The transfer bus isn't up and running yet, so you have to cab it. The prepaid is 250 INR for a black and yellow. They will eventually have a transfer bus of some sort, but for the time being you head downstairs to the left after exiting customs. I don't know if it's a dedicated highway, but there seemed to be a elevated connector road that connected the two. I think i was there in about 10 or 15 minutes.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The Mumbai Airport Transfer Guide (Domestic to International and vv)

Data point:

Successfully did a Dom-Intl connection in 2.5 hours recently. 0010 arrival to 0240 departure.

Domestic flight was right on time, but unfortunately got stuck in the back of the plane, so it took a while to deplane. Made this up by not having to collect a checked bag, but turns out it would not have mattered as I JUST missed the first shuttle bus. They stopped boarding three people in front of me. 20 min wait for the next bus to arrive, then another 10 min loading. Previous posts about they drivers asking for tips, etc. hold true. I also found that if you have a small suitcase, that you don't mind carrying on your lap for the 15 min ride, just lug it aboard. The porters will protest, but won't actually stop you. Helpful if you are worried about valuables or don't want to wait for the luggage to be unloaded later.

Ride was uneventful, but the experience of driving upstream for a bit when you get to the roads at the Intl terminal is quite an experience!

Checked in with AF Sky Priority. No line or issues, but there was a bit of a wait in the non-SP line. Do make sure to get new tags for your carryons so they can be stamped at security again.

Immigration was the biggest hurdle. Very busy at that time of night. Went through the First/Business line and it took about 20 min. Then another 5 min to get to and through First/Biz security (also shared with airline crew). But then you're home free!

All told, ended up making it to the gate by 0130, about 10 min before boarding started. It's doable, but I absolutely would have been more comfortable with an extra 30 min of connection time, particularly if I was in coach or was dealing with a checked bag or delay.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
I have a domestic and internation connection in Terminal 2. How do I go to my flight after customs or visa versa?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: KE Morning Calm
Question New Terminal 2 Domestic to International transfer

I will be arriving at terminal 2 on AI 330 from Goa at 23:35 on March 31. My onward flight is with Korean Air at 02:45, also terminal 2 so no bus/taxi transfer required.

I realize that the new terminal has just recently opened and perhaps things not running smoothly yet, but has anyone have any knowledge as to how the current limited domestic/international transfers are working out? Is it a fairly easy, and well-posted, hike from the arrival gates to the luggage pick-up and to the departure area? No immigration or customs involved, so I assume this should be quite straightforward, but I am a bit concerned about the distances as my walking ability is somewhat impaired.

I have requested KE provide wheelchair assistance from their check-in to the lounge and departure gate, but hoping I can make it to their desk on my own.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by Zhorman
I will be arriving at terminal 2 on AI 330 from Goa at 23:35 on March 31. My onward flight is with Korean Air at 02:45, also terminal 2 so no bus/taxi transfer required.

I realize that the new terminal has just recently opened and perhaps things not running smoothly yet, but has anyone have any knowledge as to how the current limited domestic/international transfers are working out? Is it a fairly easy, and well-posted, hike from the arrival gates to the luggage pick-up and to the departure area? No immigration or customs involved, so I assume this should be quite straightforward, but I am a bit concerned about the distances as my walking ability is somewhat impaired.

I have requested KE provide wheelchair assistance from their check-in to the lounge and departure gate, but hoping I can make it to their desk on my own.

Thanks!
I am not sure if you would be able to through check-in as I am not sure if AI & KE have interline baggage agreement. But there is no harm in attempting to through check-in @ GOI.

However, it is most likely that you may have to disembark, collect baggage and then check-in at the KE desks. Hence, I suggest you request for wheel-chair assistance from AI as well. Also, I am unsure if the GOI airport has active aero-bridges.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:17 am

A quick question on Mumbai T2. I am on a single ticket involving 9W (Domestic) and RJ (International). I would like to know how the transfer would happen from domestic to international. Is it seamless? or should I need to bus myself (like good old times)?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Bus like old times, the domestic operation is still in T1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.