Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by Whizkid

Q1 : Does any other indian carrier provide alternate travel / Accommodation / re-booking for Weather issues?
While most carriers, even Jet, will not go beyond a refund in case of a delay/cancellation, Air India usually handles these kind of situations somewhat better. The last time our IXC-DEL flight was cancelled, they chartered 4 or 5 volvo buses from an operator called Olivea and sent us by bus. The bus was a super luxury bus with meal service and a cabin attendant!

On the down side, they will make you fill out your name and sign on some random form in triplicate.

The IXC-DEL flights are favorites to be cancelled when time needs to be "made up" as happens during fog situations. I have shifted permanently to Olivea for short distances since!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by ashishp
While most carriers, even Jet, will not go beyond a refund in case of a delay/cancellation, Air India usually handles these kind of situations somewhat better. The last time our IXC-DEL flight was cancelled, they chartered 4 or 5 volvo buses from an operator called Olivea and sent us by bus. The bus was a super luxury bus with meal service and a cabin attendant!

On the down side, they will make you fill out your name and sign on some random form in triplicate.

The IXC-DEL flights are favorites to be cancelled when time needs to be "made up" as happens during fog situations. I have shifted permanently to Olivea for short distances since!
I did not mind the triplicate for the cab to delhi, but in Delhi airport, there was another manual form filling for 1.5 Hrs to get the hotel vouchers for the connecting PAX.

Yes. AI was cancelling the flights the next day as well, when SG & 9W were flying to IXC.

I know about Olivia, but since I'm always connecting in DEL, flying to DEL seems to be better / cheaper option (With all the ADF/UDF getting waived for connecting PAX).

Last edited by Whizkid; Dec 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Aircraft: Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Flight route: DEL-MAA
Booking class: Economy
Seats: 3-3-3 layout

What I liked:
Comfortable seats
Good IFE (lots of Indian movies). Map function is ok. No trivia. Other games are ok.
Big windows!..love the787 for that.
Plenty of overhead storage.
Good meal.

What needs work:
Check in took forever. Each agent spent quite a bit of time checking in each person. They need to learn efficiency!
Bus gate in MAA.

Overall: Nice flight on the relatively new 787 dreamliner. Great craft.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by haricharan
Aircraft: Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Flight route: DEL-MAA
Booking class: Economy
Seats: 3-3-3 layout

What I liked:
Comfortable seats
Good IFE (lots of Indian movies). Map function is ok. No trivia. Other games are ok.
Big windows!..love the787 for that.
Plenty of overhead storage.
Good meal.

What needs work:
Check in took forever. Each agent spent quite a bit of time checking in each person. They need to learn efficiency!
Bus gate in MAA.

Overall: Nice flight on the relatively new 787 dreamliner. Great craft.
I flew on same flight (AI439) on Thursday, and my experience was pretty much the same. The only difference is that my meal sucked - salt was less. First time in a long time for me that an AI meal didn't taste good.

At MAA, the bus gate is to make the turn faster...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:20 pm

For anyone who has flown the DEL_JFK leg. I am on the verge of booking a business class roundtrip from JFK-DEL roundtrip. A couple of questions, are the seats fully flat? It seems that they may or may not be based on the limited number of photos. Are the lounges any good, say compared to BA lounges? It is virtually impossible to get info on this either. AI seems to have a pretty bad reputation for some reason, but is there any particular safety concern?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amswal
For anyone who has flown the DEL_JFK leg. I am on the verge of booking a business class roundtrip from JFK-DEL roundtrip. A couple of questions, are the seats fully flat? It seems that they may or may not be based on the limited number of photos. Are the lounges any good, say compared to BA lounges? It is virtually impossible to get info on this either. AI seems to have a pretty bad reputation for some reason, but is there any particular safety concern?
The seat is almost fully flat - it slopes downwards a bit at the end. But it's possible to sleep pretty well.

Lounges are poor. Air India doesn't do the ground experience well. Don't bother turning up at the airport early.

Air India's safety record is excellent.

Executive class trip reports on this route:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/140209
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/153233/

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Jan 22, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
flew del-bbi this evening....some observations:

1. used the new ai lounge at the domestic terminal....i was quite impressed....nice big lounge, free wifi, comfortable seating, good food....the only problem is that they do not have a departure screen in the lounge so you have no idea when your flight is boarding....they did make regular announcements though....

2. flight was on time, in fact it left the gate a couple of minutes before departure time....

3. boarding was a mess as usual....they started boarding 40 minutes before departure & called for the back rows to board first....a business class passenger walked up & asked if they were boarding business as well & they said 'no'....there was a passenger on a wheelchair & some people traveling with small children who tried to board first & they were told to wait since they were not sitting in the back row....ai seems to be consistent in not letting elite or passengers who need extra time board first....no other airline does this....

4. business was 2 rows, 8 seats in total, & only 3 seats were occupied....i was in 1d & the seat seemed a little uneven (possibly broken)....i pointed this out to the staff & moved to one of the other empty seats....

5. dinner was served an hour into the flight....i picked the non-veg option & the chicken biryani was good....

6. landed on time....

all in all, an uneventful flight....the lounge is a big positive but they need to put a few departure screens in there....
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Firstc
Originally Posted by Keyser
flew del-bbi this evening....some observations:

1. used the new ai lounge at the domestic terminal....i was quite impressed....nice big lounge, free wifi, comfortable seating, good food....the only problem is that they do not have a departure screen in the lounge so you have no idea when your flight is boarding....they did make regular announcements though....

2. flight was on time, in fact it left the gate a couple of minutes before departure time....

3. boarding was a mess as usual....they started boarding 40 minutes before departure & called for the back rows to board first....a business class passenger walked up & asked if they were boarding business as well & they said 'no'....there was a passenger on a wheelchair & some people traveling with small children who tried to board first & they were told to wait since they were not sitting in the back row....ai seems to be consistent in not letting elite or passengers who need extra time board first....no other airline does this....

4. business was 2 rows, 8 seats in total, & only 3 seats were occupied....i was in 1d & the seat seemed a little uneven (possibly broken)....i pointed this out to the staff & moved to one of the other empty seats....

5. dinner was served an hour into the flight....i picked the non-veg option & the chicken biryani was good....

6. landed on time....

all in all, an uneventful flight....the lounge is a big positive but they need to put a few departure screens in there....
any chance you were able to snap some pictures of the new AI lounge. Dont think I've seen news about AI lounge opening anywhere
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by highflier86
any chance you were able to snap some pictures of the new AI lounge. Dont think I've seen news about AI lounge opening anywhere
just one....will post here when i get back to delhi tomorrow....
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

here you go:

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:02 pm

here you go:
Not bad. Nothing wow, but thankfully they didn't use the "bodily function" colour scheme in the lounge too as they do on the aircraft.

Were the seats leather? Or sarkari rexine?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Firstc
here you go:

Not bad. Professional looking. Any idea what is the status of AI lounge on the Int side?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasepl
Not bad. Nothing wow, but thankfully they didn't use the "bodily function" colour scheme in the lounge too as they do on the aircraft.

Were the seats leather? Or sarkari rexine?
its leather....they also have a small room with recliners....very comfortable....a few computers with internet access....lots of choice as far as food was concerned....its by far the best lounge in the domestic terminal....
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not bad. Professional looking. Any idea what is the status of AI lounge on the Int side?
no clue....haven't flown ai international out of del in a long time....
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:27 am

its leather....they also have a small room with recliners....very comfortable....a few computers with internet access....lots of choice as far as food was concerned....its by far the best lounge in the domestic terminal....
Good to hear. Whatever else they may be deficient at, AI have managed to get their lounges at important airports up and running rather quickly. They even had a new lounge at LHR T4 ready before they moved in from T3.

Unlike a certain arriviste that does not need to be named and shamed !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.