Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Hey. I love ya! Those are great responses. At least they (responses) are over the top. This might sound crazy and stupid but I might do two FFNs at the GH with a FFN at the PH the same time. It sounds like the GH is the known and the PH is they who knows. An overlap. I will check my FFN count again.

? How would you transport back the forth between the hotels? I do not mind dropping a cab driver 100 cny so I do not get killed crossing the road. Thanks again. From the lusty HSS Pleasaton.
The one road you have to cross has a traffic light with pedestrian signals. That is not a guarantee since vehicles turning right on red in Shanghai don't even slow down, but the street is not so busy so it is good enough that I never felt in danger.

There is only one guest room higher than the lobby -- a penthouse suite that takes up the entire floor.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Richard. Is that "penthouse" at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in Pleasanton? j/k
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:18 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by SJC1K
That's really only for people with more money than brains.
I never want to assume how much money (or brains) people have

I am taking a combo of the Mag-lev and subway on the 24th myself.

-Brian, with not *that* much money (no comment on the brains)
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

The problem with taking the subway the last time I was there was that there was a huge construction project underway around the Liujazui subway stops with the exits closest to the hotels closed. As a result, the walk to or from the subway from either the PH or GH was much longer than usual. No way to know how long this would go on for.

So if you can't verify this is over in advance, you might want to consider a taxi from the maglev station. Bear in mind there is a monopoly on taxis there and there have been occasional reports of tourist ripoffs. None from the airport, this is unique to the maglev station.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The problem with taking the subway the last time I was there was that there was a huge construction project underway around the Liujazui subway stops with the exits closest to the hotels closed. As a result, the walk to or from the subway from either the PH or GH was much longer than usual. No way to know how long this would go on for.

So if you can't verify this is over in advance, you might want to consider a taxi from the maglev station. Bear in mind there is a monopoly on taxis there and there have been occasional reports of tourist ripoffs. None from the airport, this is unique to the maglev station.
Thanks for the tip... I travel pretty light, so I think I will play it by the weather upon arrival! For me it is either a taxi all the way or a combo of maglev and subway.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Towards the end of my last stay, I found it easier to get off the subway one exit before Liujazui (assuming you're coming in the direction coming from the Maglev stop) and walk down Century Blvd to the hotels. It's a wide street with a broad sidewalk, the walk is about 15 minutes.

If the construction is done, you definitely want Liujazui, I believe it's exit 5 (there are a few stairs but most of the upward travel is by escalator). Might call the hotel and ask.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Towards the end of my last stay, I found it easier to get off the subway one exit before Liujazui (assuming you're coming in the direction coming from the Maglev stop) and walk down Century Blvd to the hotels. It's a wide street with a broad sidewalk, the walk is about 15 minutes.

If the construction is done, you definitely want Liujazui, I believe it's exit 5 (there are a few stairs but most of the upward travel is by escalator). Might call the hotel and ask.
I was there last weekend and the construction was definitely not done. The walk from Lujiazui is therefore confusing and difficult. But the walk from Dongcheng Road (the station before Lujiazui as you come from Longyang Road) is only slightly longer than the unimpeded walk from Lujiazui, and that walk is completely fine now.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: Hyatt GP
Hey! I'm new to FlyerTalk.
I'm currently planning my trip to Shanghai in february and can't decide between Grand Hyatt (Club King) and Park Hyatt (Park King). Could anyone help me? Is PH ready yet or should I stick to GH? (Yes, I did read the last posts but I was wondering if it has changed, cause the property looks stunning and I would love to stay there).

Thanks in advance!!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by newyorksangel
Hey! I'm new to FlyerTalk.
I'm currently planning my trip to Shanghai in february and can't decide between Grand Hyatt (Club King) and Park Hyatt (Park King). Could anyone help me? Is PH ready yet or should I stick to GH? (Yes, I did read the last posts but I was wondering if it has changed, cause the property looks stunning and I would love to stay there).

Thanks in advance!!
As a Diamond member, I will choose to stay in PH but not GH, even GH offered with club benefits, regardless paid or award stay. I would rather to enjoy better room/hotel facilities in PH and forgo the evening cocktails. PH offered complementary breakfast to Diamond as well.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by SJC1K
I was there last weekend and the construction was definitely not done. The walk from Lujiazui is therefore confusing and difficult. But the walk from Dongcheng Road (the station before Lujiazui as you come from Longyang Road) is only slightly longer than the unimpeded walk from Lujiazui, and that walk is completely fine now.
I agree. It is even signed in the Dongcheng Road station. Thanks to all who gave me a heads up about Lujiazui station.

-Brian, enjoying Christmas 2008 at the PH
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to find the secret way through the building to the hotel entrance when entering the building via the Century Blvd (Starbucks) entrance!

I also just re-checked my email from the hotel and it did say that the 21% discount would apply through the end of February. Whether it will work if you try to book it, that's something else!
Old Dec 25, 2008, 8:10 pm

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to find the secret way through the building to the hotel entrance when entering the building via the Century Blvd (Starbucks) entrance!

I also just re-checked my email from the hotel and it did say that the 21% discount would apply through the end of February. Whether it will work if you try to book it, that's something else!
Too late for me, I am sitting in the rather crappy Shanghai Airlines lounge at PVG. My guess though is it has something to do with turning right as you enter, not left...

PH was *alright*. I did not enjoy the upset the food gave me the first night staying. Puxi next time, I think.

-Brian
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP
Okay.
4 nights at Park Hyatt Shanghai and 3 nights at Park Hyatt Beijing in february confirmed.
xx
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The one road you have to cross has a traffic light with pedestrian signals. That is not a guarantee since vehicles turning right on red in Shanghai don't even slow down, but the street is not so busy so it is good enough that I never felt in danger.

There is only one guest room higher than the lobby -- a penthouse suite that takes up the entire floor.
But a small miracle is that the right turn also has its own light, so when the pedestrian crossing is green, all the other lights are red, even the right turn light, so progress is being made. Of course, I am also writing the local government to suggest that the police should shoot on sight people who just can't wait to get on the subway, forget about those trying to get off. I think a number of rounds of the treatment and things ought to improve. And it can be done, the crackdown on errant bicycles and such has been very effective and much welcome.

Anyway, moving on to the PH, I am currently staying at the GH, which has actually aged well and is running quite smoothly, very satisfied. Went across the street to check out the PH, and was somewhat underwhelmed.

First, you have to go through a metal detector to enter the building, a strange and sad sign of the times that is not the case just across the street at the GH.

Second, all that high-ceiling gray slate rock just looks too W-ish, almost dated, and the place is brand new. This slate gray look applies to the entire common areas, and also to some extent to the rooms.

Went in to the lobby lounge for some tea, and they have some absurd 100 RMB "cover charge" (I assume not charged to guests), so I went around the corner to some other restaurant on the premises. Service overall, sad to say, isn't up to PH standards, not even up to GH standards across the street. English comprehension isn't exactly their forte there.

I went over to the front desk and asked for a tour, which was met with initial reluctance ("you should arrange with the sales desk"), but a quick look of "you've got to be kidding" was met with, "but I can show them to you", good recovery there. Took a quick tour of the rooms. Rooms are nice and spacious, dual sinks and great tub/shower combo, occupying much of the room. The dual sinks are most welcome relative to the GH sink area, which is the stupidest design ever conceived in an otherwise nice room. Amenities are Acca Kappa, good stuff. However, because the ceilings are very high, it makes the room seem smaller, especially the bed area, but that's just my view.

The fit and finish of the whole hotel is good, but not high enough to make much difference against the GH, in my opinion. It almost looks dated already, and the place is brand new. Service needs work. A lot of work. Lastly, the views are nice, but blocked by the GH in the crucial angles of the Bund, and there no equivalent wow moment that you get in the GH when looking down (or up from the 53rd floor) into the atrium core, or the view from the GH Club lounge.

Anyway, I was thinking of staying there, but I'm glad I didn't pay extra for what isn't that big a difference overall.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
PH

Stayed at the PH during chinese new year`s eve with my FFN award.
It was easy to book and upon checkin they upgraded me to a Bund view room.

I agree with some of the comments as mentioned before: service is really a hit or miss. Sad thing is that is the fact for most of the hotels/restaurants etc...in China/Shanghai.

I prefer the design in the PH more than the GH. The pool is great! Restaurant is non-smoking!!! (great for China), but not very impressive in terms of food.

they send me an email for a review and was quite critical, see if the reply and/or change somethings I mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.