Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Until the next post, and its coming, giving glowing reviews because all of this is completely subjective. Shine on shine off.
And then the same people will tell us (yet again) that they'll be staying elsewhere the next time.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Was that a free upgrade? That's a very, very rare upgrade for free. For how many nights were you staying in that room?
Yes that was a free upgrade. I have been going to the PHPV for the last 5 years
And was friendly with the last CSR MGRS plus some of the other staff.
It was for 5 nights which is our usual stay .
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Until the next post, and its coming, giving glowing reviews because all of this is completely subjective. Shine on shine off.
actually my comment comes mainly from my last two stays here then followed by others. Look it's a great property but there are many other hotels out here that deserve to be looked at as well as area's of Paris, which we all agree is magnificent to say the least.

In Milan I will still stay at the PHM, small very personal.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
headed out there next week after a stop in London and Disney first this week. Any recommendations for restaurants outside of what's in the wiki that would be a good place for a family to eat nearby?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
headed out there next week after a stop in London and Disney first this week. Any recommendations for restaurants outside of what's in the wiki that would be a good place for a family to eat nearby?
I would expect any family friendly restaurant in this area of Paris to be a tourist trap unless you want something like a McDonalds and don't consider it to be a tourist trap in Paris.

Maybe the Bistro Roman chain place on Champs Elyssee, IIRC above five blocks beyond Place de la Concorde and on a corner on the left side of Champs Elyssee?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:50 am

Maison Kayser, a 1/2 block away, has good reasonably priced sandwiches.

If the kids aren't too young, they might get a kick out of Le Souffle, a couple of blocks away.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:02 pm

Le Souffle sounds familiar as a recommendation. Kids are in their low teens, so should be OK. Will wander over and check it out when we're there.

Definitely will not be eating McDs unless they have something unique to France that we cant get at home. I'll add Bistro Roman to the list to consider also. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:39 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
There are several restaurants about a block away, on Rue Gomboust. None are Michelin-star quality, but neither are they what I would consider tourist traps. At least, there's no tout standing outside trying to get you inside the place. There are a variety of cuisines, and I know we've been to a couple of the Italian places in addition to the French restaurants. Prices seemed reasonable and fair for the quality/quantity of the food. I think they'd be fine for a family with teens.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by skj
There are several restaurants about a block away, on Rue Gomboust. None are Michelin-star quality, but neither are they what I would consider tourist traps. At least, there's no tout standing outside trying to get you inside the place. There are a variety of cuisines, and I know we've been to a couple of the Italian places in addition to the French restaurants. Prices seemed reasonable and fair for the quality/quantity of the food. I think they'd be fine for a family with teens.
One can always walk down the street to "Hippo's" Hippopotamus, 68 Boulevard du Montparnasse, 75014

Not too bad make sure you get the English menu and not the Parisian one that has horse on it
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Le Souffle sounds familiar as a recommendation. Kids are in their low teens, so should be OK. Will wander over and check it out when we're there.

Definitely will not be eating McDs unless they have something unique to France that we cant get at home. I'll add Bistro Roman to the list to consider also. Thanks!
Please add or PM me the list of eateries when you encounter something good. Looking to bring the kids to Paris during Spring 2018.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:16 pm

Just checked in. Staying 4 nights on points. Booked 2 rooms. One queen and one double twin for the kids. Used a suite upgrade for the queen to get the connecting twin room.

So so far we are blown away. Claudio checked us in and walked us up to our room. He noticed the rooms were backwards (2 twins in the junior suite/one bed in connecting. He made sure that it would get fixed while at dinner. Macaroon in the kids room for them and a bottle of wine and cheese for the adults.

I'd say service was on par with what we received at the Park Hyatt Tokyo last year. Not sure what everyone else is down about this hotel, but I love it. Maybe my expectations are low since I usually stay in whatever Hyatt/Hilton hotels I can find while traveling for work.

Now to explore the city!!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:47 pm

Just checked in. Staying 4 nights on points. Booked 2 rooms. One queen and one double twin for the kids. Used a suite upgrade for the queen to get the connecting twin room.

So so far we are blown away. Claudio checked us in and walked us up to our room. He noticed the rooms were backwards (2 twins in the junior suite/one bed in connecting. He made sure that it would get fixed while at dinner. Macaroon in the kids room for them and a bottle of wine and cheese for the adults.

I'd say service was on par with what we received at the Park Hyatt Tokyo last year. Not sure what everyone else is down about this hotel, but I love it. Maybe my expectations are low since I usually stay in whatever Hyatt/Hilton hotels I can find while traveling for work.

Now to explore the city!!
Excellent. I'm glad you weren't dissuaded by the naysayers. There is no better place in Paris to spend your Hyatt points, thought granted, it's not cheap.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Excellent. I'm glad you weren't dissuaded by the naysayers. There is no better place in Paris to spend your Hyatt points, thought granted, it's not cheap.
Every hotel can deliver if it wants to (the same way every hotel can fail).

PHV is just ways too inconsistent to claim that they are one of the top Park Hyatt properties in the world.

I have clocked more than 15 stays there and while I love the property itself, for most of my stays I received a written note from the GM acknowledging shortcomings. Claudio seems to be on the ball now to turn this around.

Every positive review here helps him achieving that.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
Every hotel can deliver if it wants to (the same way every hotel can fail).

PHV is just ways too inconsistent to claim that they are one of the top Park Hyatt properties in the world.

I have clocked more than 15 stays there and while I love the property itself, for most of my stays I received a written note from the GM acknowledging shortcomings. Claudio seems to be on the ball now to turn this around.

Every positive review here helps him achieving that.
Agreed however my stays since Claudio has taken over have resulted in less than stellar experiences actually less than perviously. When we stayed at PHM with Claudio as manager it was superb and continues to be.

It's mostly subjective and everyone has their own idea's. For me I am not sure that PHV is top of the heap anymore. but that's my opinion. Dubai has four better overall service.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
We had a great stay at this property last week. Our room, a renovated Prestige Suite, looked brand new and was spotless! They have done a very nice job updating the classic design with new technology (TV in mirror, new panels for AC/shades/housekeeping). They also switched to a new key system.

One thing to note: They appear to be in the process of switching to new bath amenities ("5 rue de la Paix"). During our stay, they were providing 3 different brands for some reason. 5 rue de la Paix: shower gel and bubble bath. Blaise Mautin: bar soap and conditioner. Omnisens: Hand lotion. We liked the new scent, but still prefer the original Blaise Mautin fragrance (we decided to buy a couple candles while they still have them!) It almost seems like they ran out of Blaise Mautin and are waiting for more 5 rue de la Paix inventory.

Service was very good and always friendly, but with the occasional minor issues that probably shouldn't happen at a property of this caliber (phone not answered (twice), housekeeping forgot to restock coffee, forgot to deliver welcome amenity).

Kudos to the hotel for doing a great job with the room/property refresh. Something similar may work for the PHT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.