Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Applied 8/31 and all I have received when I call is being told that it is "pending." Yesterday I pressed harder and insisted on speaking to someone who could tell me what was going on with my application.

Took three people before I got someone who was willing to look into things. I explained I had good credit, an AMEX Centurion card , was a Diamond Elite who very much wanted this card, and needed to know what was going on and if there was a problem, what I could do to help the situation. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back telling me that the delay was because I had both a Marriott and British Airlines Visa already. As I was explaining that I would be happy to cancel the Marriott card, she told me that she had approved it - and with a healthy limit.

My tone was cordial and concerned. Looks like it paid off.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by indo79
Just a quick update. I applied on 9/7, got a call from Chase 10 mins after I applied, told them I wanted to close my Chase Freedom and move all limits to Hyatt card.

Yesterday I called Chase and they told me that my card has been approved and I saw it online this morning when I was able to log in to Chase. I have not received the card yet.
Got my card today, fedex next day saver from OH! I am special
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:59 am

I am still pending, and attempted to go through customer service to either convert an existing card or cancel one to get the Hyatt. No success, and all I get is the 'pending' phrase. Any suggestions? Excellent credit, just too many cards with Chase.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Hyatt Gold Passport on Facebook is announcing a sweepstakes in conjunction with the credit card release coming in the next few weeks. Here's a carefully copied transcript of the top secret message sent to their Facebook fans:

" ...In the coming weeks, we'll also be launching a sweepstakes right here on our page to celebrate the new Hyatt Card, so be sure to check back soon for details on how to enter."
Oooh, 5 chances to win 2 free nights, or 12 chances to win 7,000 points. Here's the entry page:

Hyatt Nights on Us Sweepstakes
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Oooh, 5 chances to win 2 free nights, or 12 chances to win 7,000 points. Here's the entry page:

Thanks for this link!^
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
My timeline is exactly the same as Bbr55's--perhaps because my nickname is "Double-B!"
I guess we shall receive our 2 free nights right after our first monthly statements close. Chase's Website says mine will close on the 5th of each month. Fine with me, so the one-year validity ends later.

UPDATE: My 2 free nights showed up in my account last night with the same outdated notation as reported by Oc2005 Post #80, which causes any attempt to book online to be rejected with a No Availability/ expired message!

Last edited by Brendan; Sep 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Brendan
My timeline is exactly the same as Bbr55's--perhaps because my nickname is "Double-B!"
I guess we shall receive our 2 free nights right after our first monthly statements close. Chase's Website says mine will close on the 5th of each month. Fine with me, so the one-year validity ends later.
My T&C says the free nights will post to our account 10 days after our first use. so we will see what happens
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

ooo, great, a promo to win some nights, that will be a nice way to make up for the disappointment of not being able to actually get the card if you live outside the US.....

Originally Posted by hyatt facebook page rules for the sweepstake
DO NOT ENTER IF YOU DO NOT RESIDE IN THE UNITED STATES

Not feeling any HGP love in Europe.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Hyatt card vs. Starwood card

I've seen it written several places that the Hyatt card isn't as 'good' as the Starwood card.

http://blog.frequentflier.com/2010/0...e-changer.html

Seems to imply Starwood's the best value card.

Can anyone explain why this is (other than Starwood's larger property portfolio)?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by tripmaster
I've seen it written several places that the Hyatt card isn't as 'good' as the Starwood card.

Can anyone explain why this is (other than Starwood's larger property portfolio)?
Because it cost significantly less points per free night at starwood than hyatt. At least for the same calibur hotel.

Starwood give 2 points per dollar spent at its properties and 1 point per dollar spent on credit card.

Hyatt gives 5 points per dollar spent at its properties and 1 point per dollar spent on the credit card.

Either Hyatt credit card sucks or Starwood guest programs sucks or a combination of both.

My estimate is that 1 starwood point equals 1.75 hyatt points.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by tripmaster

Depends on what you want the card for. The ability to transfer miles to airlines and get a bonus of 25% is a big reason I love the card and can use it for premium cabin travel. Starwood also has a Cash & Points redemption that really stretches your points. For example, you can redeem a night at many hotels for 10,000 points a night but if the night you want is available for Cash & Points, it would be (I think!) 4,000 points and $60 - a great deal.

Of course, top level Starwoods require 30,000 points a night while Hyatt tops out (right now) at 22,000. On the other hand, getting a suite with points costs twice the number at Starwood but only 50% more at Hyatt.

But as long as I can retain my Hyatt Diamond, I'll concentrate on them. I already have a big bank with Starwood and I look forward to adding to my points bank with Hyatt.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397

Of course, top level Starwoods require 30,000 points a night while Hyatt tops out (right now) at 22,000. On the other hand, getting a suite with points costs twice the number at Starwood but only 50% more at Hyatt.
I would say that is pretty misleading. There are only a handful of SPG cat 7 in the world and in general none of them have an equivilant hyatt. The cat 6 hyatts are generally cat 6 at SPG and some are cat 5 like NYC, London and maui.

Generally cat 4 hyatt is cat 4 SPG and so on. I think it will be very rare to find a hyatt with an equivalant SPG hotel with a higher category. If you do its probably a cat 1 or 2 hyatt.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I do find it sucky that SPG stays earn only 2 pp$ (3 for elites) excl. extra points earned for using their cc. When there are no bonuses for staying, SPG is tilted too far in favor of credit-card spenders and against room guests.
The new Hyatt Visa would be almost as good as the SPG Amex for earning free nights if GP points had not been devalued in 2010, or at least if Cat. 6 had not been created.

Even so, the Chase Hyatt Visa earns rooms faster than the Marriott or PC Visas. The Hilton Amex earns better for 4+ night stays at upper-level hotels.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hindukid
Because it cost significantly less points per free night at starwood than hyatt. At least for the same calibur hotel.

Starwood give 2 points per dollar spent at its properties and 1 point per dollar spent on credit card.

Hyatt gives 5 points per dollar spent at its properties and 1 point per dollar spent on the credit card.

Either Hyatt credit card sucks or Starwood guest programs sucks or a combination of both.

My estimate is that 1 starwood point equals 1.75 hyatt points.
I think we had this discussion earlier - this is possibly true strictly for the credit card - but not for the programs in general.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I think we had this discussion earlier - this is possibly true strictly for the credit card - but not for the programs in general.
Not implying the hyatt program is bad. In fact I am implying the opposite. Hyatt awards 5 times as many points for guests as CC spenders. SPG awards two times as many. Hyatt is good for hotels guests and SPG is good for CC spenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.