Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
I have stayed here for two nights. At 640HKD+10% tax, I think it's the best-value Hyatt I have ever stayed in. I got upgraded to Club Twin with seaview as part of the trial Diamond offer. They had nice evening cocktails, nice breakfasts, and most importantly, very attentive staff and impeccable service.

We ordered room service on both nights and the food was not overly priced. The congee was really creamy, but they might need to do more work on the other dishes. Room service also sent us some complimentary mocktails with raspberry, orange juice and Pocari. It was the nicest mocktail I have ever tasted.

I will definitely revisit this hotel in the future.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by kuponuts
I have stayed here for two nights. At 640HKD+10% tax,
640HKD+10% tax is a bargain. What kind of rate is this? Corporate??
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:08 am

Adv Purchase! I got close to 5000 points (DM 30% + G3 + MC) for my stay at Shatin Hyatt.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Recently stayed in Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin in Regency Suite and please take a look of my flickr pictures
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
Recently stayed in Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin in Regency Suite and please take a look of my flickr pictures
Oh Matt! Did you stay at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin last week? I think I saw you on the Club Floor with a friend. Was that you?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
I keep following you, MattTaiwan. I will be there immediately after Tokyo. The pictures look great. I especially like the welcome champaign picture!! I hope I get the same.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Hi all!

My partner and I are planning to spend 3 nights here on our next trip and it looks like a great place! It's only a little bit extra to go to Club, are there any great benefits of doing so? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Peachy
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by peachy3
Hi all!

My partner and I are planning to spend 3 nights here on our next trip and it looks like a great place! It's only a little bit extra to go to Club, are there any great benefits of doing so? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Peachy
Yes, definitely! You get to sit before the Tolo Harbour, while sipping champagne and munching on salmon, guacamole on lavosh. Yum!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:21 pm

Hi all!

Thanks!

Peachy
I would say it really depends on what you are in HK for and what your personal need is. The breakfast in the lounge is alright as are the evening cannapés. They are good but nothing too special like i.e. in the GH HK. IMHO you are better off with a 'normal' room and if you feel like use the 'Awaken' package, which includes the buffet breakfast at The Café or in-room service - both are very good and cheaper than you would add it extra.

Overall, it is a great hotel with awesome staff, especially the service staff. With them even the GH HK can at times not really keep up!

If you are a Diamond member you will have access to the Regency Club anyway - no matter what room you book.

Enjoy your stay! Cheers.

Last edited by mmhk; Oct 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:32 am

Hi all!

Thanks!

Peachy
hotel is fine.an above average HR etc.....great staff as well as great dining and pool [ dunno if its heated though]
HOWEVER be aware that if you think tsim tsa tsui or central is a hop skip and a jump away you would be disappointed.....very disappointed.

the mrt is regular enough but then depending on where you are going there are more than a 7 or 8 stops just to TST witthsome changes - depending on where you are going of course......and also long long walks at the station changes for central eg.

so this hotel is for people who need to be in sha tin really........or do not mind the travelling /distance from the usual central TST and central areas of HK
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
hotel is fine.an above average HR etc.....great staff as well as great dining and pool [ dunno if its heated though]
HOWEVER be aware that if you think tsim tsa tsui or central is a hop skip and a jump away you would be disappointed.....very disappointed.

the mrt is regular enough but then depending on where you are going there are more than a 7 or 8 stops just to TST witthsome changes - depending on where you are going of course......and also long long walks at the station changes for central eg.

so this hotel is for people who need to be in sha tin really........or do not mind the travelling /distance from the usual central TST and central areas of HK
Here is a link to the MTR Corp. website with an interactive journey planner: http://mtr.com.hk/jplanner/flash_eng/index.php

The HR Shatin is on the light blue line, at a station called 'University'. You can click on it as your starting point and then select your destination. It shows you the approx. travel time etc.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bearbrick

MTR (Mass Transit Railway), not MRT like in SIN. Trains are frequent alright, with one roughly every minute at peak times (morning rush and evening) up to a max. of 4 minutes. However, there are sometimes "through-trains" (roughly one every hour) to Mainland China (bullet style) which go through the station and don't stop (electronic displays will read "-Stand Clear-"). Thus, trains are kept at a safe distance until the through-train goes away (disruption to service of up to 2-3 minutes). The MTR is state-of-the-art btw, trilingual and they have developed railway systems for Melbourne, Beijing, Stockholm etc.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
Using public transportation:
Take the KCR from University station to Hung Hom station. Then take the 104 bus to Inmgration Tower (Gloucester & Luard), then walk across the plaza to the Grand Hyatt.
To get to GHHK, you get off the #104 bus at "Fleming" which is the 2nd stop from Hung Hom Station. The fare is HK$9.40 or something. 5 min walk to the hotel from the bus stop. One may need a map if first time.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
I've stayed in the Sha Tin property 3 times and the TST property 2 times so far. The only possible drawback is the 20 minutes or so distance (best way to do this is to take the MTR to Kowloon Tong station and then walk to a TST MTR exit). Of course, if you want a quiet place, this is not a drawback.

Comparing rates, no context either. You can book a balance package at Sha Tin for 1380 HKD (standard Sha Tin rates start at 900 HKD) with a standard rate at TST running between 1750 and 1900 HKD. Club amenities are almost the same, service is...well...standard Asian Hyatt excellence at both properties, TST doesn't have a fitness center yet but you get a pass to the outstanding Jackie Chan California Fitness Club next to the Peninsula, both have good pools, etc.... So basically, you have to determine if being 20 minutes closer to "downtown" TST is worth the extra 1000 HKD.

Then again, if you're a points fiend, you can hop between Sha Tin (3000 Next Big Thing + G3) and the GH Guangzhou (1:45 by KTR) (3000pt Next Big Thing + 2000pt G3 + 2000pt GP607 + 5000pt Balance Pkg bonus)... I'm just saying.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by macj86
Then again, if you're a points fiend, you can hop between Sha Tin (3000 Next Big Thing + G3) and the GH Guangzhou (1:45 by KTR) (3000pt Next Big Thing + 2000pt G3 + 2000pt GP607 + 5000pt Balance Pkg bonus)... I'm just saying.
Hmmm...that's interesting! And since I have a valid Chinese visa and I've never been to Guangzhou...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.