Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:17 am

Thanks escape and jpdx! Much appreciated. The updates are very helpful as I'm looking at a short 2-3 night stay. This location is the most convenient for me and also the cheapest so I am considering it. I guess it might be a good thing the breakfast is weak. It'll be a good excuse to go out and eat some authentic dim sum for breakfast/lunch instead of hotel food.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thanks escape and jpdx! Much appreciated. The updates are very helpful as I'm looking at a short 2-3 night stay. This location is the most convenient for me and also the cheapest so I am considering it. I guess it might be a good thing the breakfast is weak. It'll be a good excuse to go out and eat some authentic dim sum for breakfast/lunch instead of hotel food.
If the location is convenient for you and the rate is not unusually high for your dates, then I would say it's a no brainer. You will have a nice stay there.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:22 pm

Awesome, I agree. Thanks escape! =)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
If you don't mind a short MTR ride, there is a huge shopping mall (New Town Plaza) with many restaurants two stops away in Shatin. My friends told me not to go there on a Saturday or Sunday as it is very popular and crowded on weekends.

www.newtownplaza.com.hk
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Thanks Ed! I've been to the mall a few times. Yep, it is very crowded indeed! I think it's just as crowded on the weekdays too. Definitely worth checking out though. Thanks for the suggestion! =)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by EdofFX
If you don't mind a short MTR ride, there is a huge shopping mall (New Town Plaza) with many restaurants two stops away in Shatin. My friends told me not to go there on a Saturday or Sunday as it is very popular and crowded on weekends.

www.newtownplaza.com.hk
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thanks Ed! I've been to the mall a few times. Yep, it is very crowded indeed! I think it's just as crowded on the weekdays too. Definitely worth checking out though. Thanks for the suggestion! =)
It's also 'above' the stop for the A41 bus, although I found it tough to find from Sha Tin MTR station (heading to airport). I did find it eventually.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:58 pm

Anyone with recent stay experience?
Old May 30, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Anyone stayed here recently? What can I expect as a Globalist? Good elite recognition?
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone stayed here recently? What can I expect as a Globalist? Good elite recognition?
I'm here now, and it has its ups and downs.

Upside: One of the staff in the lounge (Godfrey) is incredibly kind and helpful. The food is generally pretty good, and if you get upgraded to one of the larger rooms (or the entry-level suite), it's spacious, and the layout is fantastic. Space-wise, a good choice for a long-term stay.

Also, there's now an MTR line stopping next to the hotel that will take you to Central in about 25 minutes. It even has a first-class wagon that costs an extra HKD 15 (USD 2) or so. Totally worth the money. You have to tap your octopus card before boarding the train to "upgrade."

Downside: not much variety in terms of lounge food. Always the same selection of cold cuts, a rotating pasta dish, and rotating desserts. It tastes good but is disappointing compared to the Regency in Tsim Sha Tsui or even the Centric in North Point. The breakfast is pretty awful: no dish worth mentioning. Internet is spotty, to the point where you'll probably need to hotspot from your phone during certain hours of the day. I made a reservation in the main restaurant, famous for its Peking duck, just to be informed that they won't have the duck that day. I'm not sure whether that's a one-off problem or something to keep in mind. Also, the lounge staff takes the 6-8 happy hour very seriously. I tried to pour something at 5:55 (after it was set up), and someone ran over to stop me and inform me that I had to wait until 6 -- strange more than anything. I don't know if that's a result of some of the lounge staff being new, or whether that's what they're told to do.

Overall, I'd stay here if you value a larger room. Otherwise, the Regency in Tsim Sha Tsui is worth the extra cost, in my opinion, and strikes a good balance between cost and room size, with an amazing lounge -- by far my favorite in Hong Kong (I stayed there for almost two years). The Chinese Restaurant has an incredible a la carte dim sum breakfast that is a must-have and well worth the price. The Centric in North Point is a great option if you're okay with a smaller room and a somewhat packed lounge that may involve picking one of two dinner sessions -- but it probably has the best food of the three. I'm not a huge fan of HK's Grand Hyatt: I found the mix of average service, dated rooms, and blatant elitism quite off-putting, but maybe others have a different experience. I think they used to be among the top and haven't quite realized that they have been overtaken by the competition. The Peninsula, Rosewood, Four Seasons, and the renovated Regent are much friendlier, and having tried at least a restaurant in all of them, there's just no reason to eat at the Grand Hyatt.
lsquare and a4lau like this.

Last edited by Soriak; Sep 12, 2023 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Soriak
I'm here now, and it has its ups and downs.

Upside: One of the staff in the lounge (Godfrey) is incredibly kind and helpful. The food is generally pretty good, and if you get upgraded to one of the larger rooms (or the entry-level suite), it's spacious, and the layout is fantastic. Space-wise, a good choice for a long-term stay.

Also, there's now an MTR line stopping next to the hotel that will take you to Central in about 25 minutes. It even has a first-class wagon that costs an extra HKD 15 (USD 2) or so. Totally worth the money. You have to tap your octopus card before boarding the train to "upgrade."

Downside: not much variety in terms of lounge food. Always the same selection of cold cuts, a rotating pasta dish, and rotating desserts. It tastes good but is disappointing compared to the Regency in Tsim Sha Tsui or even the Centric in North Point. The breakfast is pretty awful: no dish worth mentioning. Internet is spotty, to the point where you'll probably need to hotspot from your phone during certain hours of the day. I made a reservation in the main restaurant, famous for its Peking duck, just to be informed that they won't have the duck that day. I'm not sure whether that's a one-off problem or something to keep in mind. Also, the lounge staff takes the 6-8 happy hour very seriously. I tried to pour something at 5:55 (after it was set up), and someone ran over to stop me and inform me that I had to wait until 6 -- strange more than anything. I don't know if that's a result of some of the lounge staff being new, or whether that's what they're told to do.

Overall, I'd stay here if you value a larger room. Otherwise, the Regency in Tsim Sha Tsui is worth the extra cost, in my opinion, and strikes a good balance between cost and room size, with an amazing lounge -- by far my favorite in Hong Kong (I stayed there for almost two years). The Chinese Restaurant has an incredible a la carte dim sum breakfast that is a must-have and well worth the price. The Centric in North Point is a great option if you're okay with a smaller room and a somewhat packed lounge that may involve picking one of two dinner sessions -- but it probably has the best food of the three. I'm not a huge fan of HK's Grand Hyatt: I found the mix of average service, dated rooms, and blatant elitism quite off-putting, but maybe others have a different experience. I think they used to be among the top and haven't quite realized that they have been overtaken by the competition. The Peninsula, Rosewood, Four Seasons, and the renovated Regent are much friendlier, and having tried at least a restaurant in all of them, there's just no reason to eat at the Grand Hyatt.
What's the breakfast spread like now? Is it noticeably worse than pre-pandemic?

Are there any malls and decent restaurants nearby?
​​​​​​
Visconti would most likely disagree with you there.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the breakfast spread like now? Is it noticeably worse than pre-pandemic?

Are there any malls and decent restaurants nearby?
​​​​​​
Visconti would most likely disagree with you there.
Breakfast is okay, not very good in asian standard. Not really any malls or restaurants within walking distance, but can take the metro a few stops to lots of choices.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.