Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kenbo
Very nice review, jasonvr. This Hyatt is pretty basic. I enjoy it for one night stays but I would never stay there for more than a night or two. The service has always been good but as you mentioned, the room decor is minimal and it just doesn't feel very inviting.

I've stayed at the Hilton directly across the street and would choose that property over the Hyatt if I had the room to spread out some of my stays. I don't though, so the one night benefits (2,500 bonus pts and free hot buffet) of staying at the Hyatt on the weekends are a worthy trade off.

Definitely try out the Hyatt House Silicon Valley (near the Target) if they show up on your corporate rate. It's just one exit away from the HR Santa Clara. It's a lot newer (just opened last year) and I have been treated well there as a Diamond. I think it would be more to your liking.
I have definitely been looking at the Hyatt House (ex-Hotel Sierra). Need to bug corporate to find out why they are not offering our corporate rate. There are actually 2 that are really close to there, within 1.5 miles of each other (San Jose/Silicon Valley and Santa Clara).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Very nice review, jasonvr. This Hyatt is pretty basic. I enjoy it for one night stays but I would never stay there for more than a night or two. The service has always been good but as you mentioned, the room decor is minimal and it just doesn't feel very inviting.

I've stayed at the Hilton directly across the street and would choose that property over the Hyatt if I had the room to spread out some of my stays. I don't though, so the one night benefits (2,500 bonus pts and free hot buffet) of staying at the Hyatt on the weekends are a worthy trade off.

Definitely try out the Hyatt House Silicon Valley (near the Target) if they show up on your corporate rate. It's just one exit away from the HR Santa Clara. It's a lot newer (just opened last year) and I have been treated well there as a Diamond. I think it would be more to your liking.
Definitely agree 100% with this. This is a much better weekend property then during the week - very nice free breakfast buffet for Diamonds on the weekends, Regency Club is closed but you can still go in for beverages and snack mix/cookies (plus the 2,500 bonus points!), and rates are very reasonable.

Hyatt House Silicon Valley is definitely preferable during the week, especially if they upgrade you to a signature suite which has a video game system with games (I forget if Xbox or Playstation), a Roku, and a pod brewing system with a whole carrousel of coffee choices! Free breakfast here is better than Santa Clara Regency Club breakfast but not as nice as Santa Clara buffet breakfast.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oc2005
Definitely agree 100% with this. This is a much better weekend property then during the week - very nice free breakfast buffet for Diamonds on the weekends, Regency Club is closed but you can still go in for beverages and snack mix/cookies (plus the 2,500 bonus points!), and rates are very reasonable.

Hyatt House Silicon Valley is definitely preferable during the week, especially if they upgrade you to a signature suite which has a video game system with games (I forget if Xbox or Playstation), a Roku, and a pod brewing system with a whole carrousel of coffee choices! Free breakfast here is better than Santa Clara Regency Club breakfast but not as nice as Santa Clara buffet breakfast.
Now I really have to look into the Hyatt House. When I head there I am usually there for 4 nights, so having the extra space, full breakfast with some variety, etc, would be very nice.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:34 pm

+1 on the room with the Xbox! Love that studio suite!

Just to add a few more notes about the Hyatt Regency, I did just complete a stay this weekend. One of my biggest gripes about this property was that they would always welcome me as if I had never been there before. This meant that they would give me the long-winded version of where the restaurant and RC were, and how my benefits worked out. I did drop a suggestion to my PL rep and what do you know? At check-in, I was welcomed back as a return guest and they even told me when my last visit was. They did a brief overview of the Diamond benefits and I was on my way in a matter of minutes.

Another change I noticed was at breakfast. The server asked if breakfast was included in my rate. I said yes and also mentioned that I was a Diamond member. Then he wrote a quick note on the bill that said I was a Diamond member. At checkout, I had a $0.60 charge on my folio for breakfast.

I do appreciate these minor changes. Service has always been good here.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
+1 on the room with the Xbox! Love that studio suite!

Just to add a few more notes about the Hyatt Regency, I did just complete a stay this weekend. One of my biggest gripes about this property was that they would always welcome me as if I had never been there before. This meant that they would give me the long-winded version of where the restaurant and RC were, and how my benefits worked out. I did drop a suggestion to my PL rep and what do you know? At check-in, I was welcomed back as a return guest and they even told me when my last visit was. They did a brief overview of the Diamond benefits and I was on my way in a matter of minutes.

Another change I noticed was at breakfast. The server asked if breakfast was included in my rate. I said yes and also mentioned that I was a Diamond member. Then he wrote a quick note on the bill that said I was a Diamond member. At checkout, I had a $0.60 charge on my folio for breakfast.

I do appreciate these minor changes. Service has always been good here.

I stayed at this property about 10x last year. Out of those 10x, 2x FD agents remembered me, the rest gave me the same deal explaining every single benefit...but free saturday buffet makes up for it

Oh and I do ever hate, we the FD says, we have a lovely room on the 12th floor, LOL...This hotel only has 5 suites and a handful of balcony rooms, there is nothing lovely about a regular room facing the street.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
I stayed at this property about 10x last year. Out of those 10x, 2x FD agents remembered me, the rest gave me the same deal explaining every single benefit...but free saturday buffet makes up for it

Oh and I do ever hate, we the FD says, we have a lovely room on the 12th floor, LOL...This hotel only has 5 suites and a handful of balcony rooms, there is nothing lovely about a regular room facing the street.
LOL! I now have a lovely room on the 11th floor with two double beds facing the parking garage....

They have suites here????
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:34 pm

Not to mention all the rooms are the same!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
LOL! I now have a lovely room on the 11th floor with two double beds facing the parking garage....

They have suites here????

Reading the thread I guess my stays here have been the exception. I stay here off and on through out the year and the front desk has always greeted me by name and has displayed exceptional customer service. I have been upgraded to a suite 70% of my stays including an upgrade to the stunning director suite!!! If not given a suite they place me in a corner room, balcony which has floor to ceiling windows. I prefer these rooms as there is a hallway that leads to the bathroom and the closet is located there. The area sort of serves as a small dressing area.

On some rare occasions when I had some issues the hotel has gone above and beyond to correct it. In my experience the front desk and the restaurant jump leaps and bounds to make sure I have a memorable stay.

Yes this is an older building, bathrooms might be small and the closet a little strange but the 5 start customer service brings me back. I also don't mind the awesome suite upgrades I've been given. ^^^
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Reading the thread I guess my stays here have been the exception. I stay here off and on through out the year and the front desk has always greeted me by name and has displayed exceptional customer service. I have been upgraded to a suite 70% of my stays including an upgrade to the stunning director suite!!! If not given a suite they place me in a corner room, balcony which has floor to ceiling windows. I prefer these rooms as there is a hallway that leads to the bathroom and the closet is located there. The area sort of serves as a small dressing area.
Are we talking about the same Hyatt? I have stayed at the HR Santa Clara more than any other Hyatt in the world -- more than any other hotel in the world -- and I have not once received an upgrade.

I'd be pissed at a 0% upgrade rate, except that the weekend rates make such excellent mattress runs!

One of my biggest gripes about this property was that they would always welcome me as if I had never been there before.
It's not a gripe, but I am always amused when they robotically ask me how my trip was. Um, I've come all the way from San Jose [the next town over]!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
Are we talking about the same Hyatt? I have stayed at the HR Santa Clara more than any other Hyatt in the world -- more than any other hotel in the world -- and I have not once received an upgrade.

I'd be pissed at a 0% upgrade rate, except that the weekend rates make such excellent mattress runs!

It's not a gripe, but I am always amused when they robotically ask me how my trip was. Um, I've come all the way from San Jose [the next town over]!
Same here. This is my most frequented Bay Area hotel and I've never been upgraded once. Not even to a balcony room. I did burn an expiring suite upgrade here and the suite was decent.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mikew99
[/I]
Same here. This is my most frequented Bay Area hotel and I've never been upgraded once. Not even to a balcony room. I did burn an expiring suite upgrade here and the suite was decent.
I've stayed here 4 or 5 times, and I've been upgraded twice: once during the stay following my first (completely unrecognized as Diamond) stay, and a second time 3-4 stays later. I don't know how to explain why your experiences have been different than mine and Radiant Flyer's, but I've been treated pretty well at this property. And the points ain't bad either.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Well I guess some Diamonds are treated better than others. I pretty much get upgraded to a suite for most my Hyatt stays. I do know this hotel has a small inventory of suites so I really appreciate the upgrades. The Director's Suite was beautiful I loved the layout, it had a kitchen, spacious dinning and entertainment area and a nice size balcony.

Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech
I've stayed here 4 or 5 times, and I've been upgraded twice: once during the stay following my first (completely unrecognized as Diamond) stay, and a second time 3-4 stays later. I don't know how to explain why your experiences have been different than mine and Radiant Flyer's, but I've been treated pretty well at this property. And the points ain't bad either.
I've never had an upgrade at any full service Hyatt property so I've come to just expect nothing other than my RC floor upgrade. I imagine it has something to do with me staying on cheap AAA rates all the time.

I have no complaints about the service at Santa Clara though. They've always been very understanding and fix any issues quickly.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Having tried both, definitely agree.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
I have stayed at this property 4X last year and never got an upgrade to a suite even on the 3 occasions I asked for it. I was told they have limited suites, and are usually given out as promotions. Maybe the OP is part of those corporate promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.