Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mrredskin
ok I have a Few minutes before getting ready for dinner at Calypso later.

we were greeted as one of the first couples ay the resort today. Upon arrival the GM and a camera crew met us at the entrance to Ziva lobby. This was when I realized there was an issue with Zilara.

Many, many employees were there to welcome us. check-in took about 10 minutes for both of us (us and another couple).

our bellhop took us on a tour of Ziva side, which is where most every restaurant is located. there were several workers we passed that were still painting and landscaping. no big deal. I expected this.

Then, he took us to our rooms. West wing of Ziva (which looks at Ziva on the East and Zilara on West. this is part of tho old Ritz.

Neither bank of elevators were operable. One of these have since been fixed, fortunately. Everything deteriorated on our walk from the Ziva to our room. All of the pictures you see have been from the West Wing except the tractor. Our bell hop had to take our luggage up the stairs. Felt bad for the situation they put him in.

I can't describe our thoughts on what we saw when he showed us the balcony overlooking the Zilara except for what I've already posted.

tbc..
How was the food at the buffet? Bad?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by trev555555
My wife, my 2 year old son, and my brother's family (kids age 3 and 1.5) are coming on December 19th and staying at the Ziva.

I am pissed that the Zilara isn't ready. I do not want our kids to ruin the trip for people that intended to enjoy a nice quiet kid-free stay. Our kids are well behaved, but every kid has a bad day now and then. I apologize in advance for anyone on a honeymoon or special trip.

mrredskin, do you see anything on the Ziva side of things that would be dangerous for our kids (live wires, etc), that should make us cancel our trip?
You shouldn't have to apologize you are staying on the side that is for families.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
How was the food at the buffet? Bad?
no! food was good. slightly off temperature but we ate a late lunch and were some of the first here. no issues with food yet
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:47 pm

no! food was good. slightly off temperature but we ate a late lunch and were some of the first here. no issues with food yet
At least that's not an issue. Thanks for the updates, much appreciated!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:48 pm

I had a few moments to speak to the GM earlier and will comment on that in a few days.

I would not expect a mostly flawless experience until a month from now or longer
I am certain that many others join me in thanking you for your posts. Those of us who have bookings in the near future need to think hard and consider whether it would be prudent to look elsewhere for a holiday. Eagerly await report of your conversation with GM. You might tell GM next time you see him that misleading posts by property on Facebook (suggesting that all is well with the world and they are well and truly open) are worse than nothing.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by observer
Those of us who have bookings in the near future need to think hard and consider whether it would be prudent to look elsewhere for a holiday.
No kidding. What makes it difficult is that award space will be extremely limited until mid-January. For those with revenue tickets, the fare differences will be huge if you're looking to come back before January 5, so it just sucks that we're in this situation.

At this point, I'd rather go to another property in Montego Bay. If it weren't for the airfare, I'd just CXL this reservation and go to Cancun but availability using points will most likely be an issue.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:55 pm

I'm glad I'm able to post my experience thus far. All of you deserve it. The quote of yesterday at previous resort was "I wish we could stay here the entire time". so true...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:56 pm

Thank you everyone who has been posting reviews of their experience, and to all those who will continue to be posting information. Getting the REAL story is much appreciated with Hyatt, and whoever they have running their social media for the Zilara, obviously trying to mislead us. From the initial delay because of missing "fire/safety" equipment (didn't realize grass was fire/safety equipment), to how they've handled today's delay... it is immensely disappointing.

I am booked at the Zilara over Christmas and am very concerned over what will be happening then. I do not see how they can have space at Ziva for their guests as well as Zilara's, and I cannot imagine that the Zilara will be up to standards by Christmas (I hope I am wrong).

So again, thank you to everyone who has and will continue to be providing the real story as to what is going on there.

Update: As of this edit, they have stopped allowing new posts on their Facebook page, you can still comment on old posts, but no new posts... I guess damage control=censorship

Last edited by flyguy14; Dec 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy14
Update: As of this edit, they have stopped allowing new posts on their Facebook page, you can still comment on old posts, but no new posts... I guess damage control=censorship
They even deleted comments.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy14
Incredibly poor taste...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm almost excited and thrilled I get to experience one of the biggest clusters ever from Hyatt
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:35 pm

I'm almost excited and thrilled I get to experience one of the biggest clusters ever from Hyatt
We appreciate the play-by-play...hey, one of us had to be the one. ^
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:20 pm

This press release says "Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) and Playa Hotels & Resorts B.V....today announced the opening of Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica, which will be followed by the opening of Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall on December 20, 2014."

They managed to write a press release saying the resort wasn't opening for 10 more days, but they neglected to tell their customers? What a mess. I think everyone arriving before the resort is 100% better be well taken care of, or the resorts are going to get a very poor word of mouth online.

Here's the link to the press release:
http://www.finwin.com/demo/index.cfm...owLatest=false
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
I'll add my two cents.

The staff here is wonderful. All are nice and trying their best given the circumstances.

I blame Hyatt for this early opening. I had to be moved to the Ziva side. Took 3 tries and a couple of hours to get room keys. When I got to the room, someone was still changing the light bulb. I heard others who had no shower heads in the room. My minibar was not stocked. When it was, it had no adult beverages. Since it's a cloudy day and not great beach weather, I wanted to work out. Gym is not open. Fine, let's try tennis. Nope, not ready. Carpet hasn't been changed yet. Construction workers in the halls everywhere raises a security concern.

Food has been excellent. I had unlimited lobster tails in the buffet. All restaurants minus Zilara restaurants seem open. Wine is meh but you can get premium cocktails top shelf if asked. Jerk stand was great. I will post a more thorough review in a couple of days when I return.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:55 pm

good synopsis by hyattnjfan. I typed a reply but hit a wrong button and lost it :/

Calypso restaurant was GREAT. Food seems to not be an issue at all. Very pleased with that thus far.

Security throughout the resort so I don't have an issue with thee construction workers.

jerk chicken shack near beach is legit. very authentic.

oh, and turns out my stocked fridge/mini bar isn't on or cooling. probably another bad outlet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.