Search

Diamond Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:42 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could you pleads clarify who makes the choice? If the hotel just has a
standard buffet, presumably the full buffet is included, including hot items, rather than just the cold continental portion of the buffet. However, if there is a buffet as well as a la carte or even a prix fixe choice of breakfasts, do we choose between the buffet and the menu, or does the hotel decide? If there's no buffet or if we can order from the menu, I assume that is it OUR CHOICE of one entree rather than the hotel being able to tell us which one entree is offered. Right?

So far, I've generally been very pleased with my Hyatt breakfast choices
and I hope that this policy doesn't reduce the selection available to Diamonds.
Hi MSPeconomist,

In the event a hotel offers a breakfast buffet, in addition to breakfast menu options, it is at the hotel’s discretion to offer Diamond members the buffet or full breakfast inclusive of one entrée, juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included). When offered, the buffet option provided to Diamond members is to include the full buffet , including hot items. Standard buffet options, however, do not include Seasonal or special buffets (i.e., Mother’s Day, Easter, etc.).

Gold Passport Concierge
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hi MSPeconomist,

In the event a hotel offers a breakfast buffet, in addition to breakfast menu options, it is at the hotel’s discretion to offer Diamond members the buffet or full breakfast inclusive of one entrée, juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included). When offered, the buffet option provided to Diamond members is to include the full buffet , including hot items. Standard buffet options, however, do not include Seasonal or special buffets (i.e., Mother’s Day, Easter, etc.).

Gold Passport Concierge
Thank you for clarifying that. I would prefer to order off the menu even if there is a buffet, so now I'll know that if the hotel allows that, it is as a courtesy and not something to expect as a matter of course.

Sorry to be asking for another clarification, but I'm a little confused as to what "one entree" is defined as. Most of my stays are at hotels with either RC or full buffets, so I haven't been paying to much attention to a la carte breakfast, but I managed to pull up some room service menus that are most likely similar. By "one entree", does that mean I can select one item from the 'breakfast specialties list (that is the only thing similar to a list of entrees), for example, either the 'bowl of oatmeal' or "steak and eggs with mushrooms"?

Also, if there is no RC and no buffet, but the breakfast menu has one or more breakfast "sets" (eg, 'American Breakfast', "Healthy Breakfast', 'Asian Breakfast") is it correct to assume that I would be able to order one of these "sets" as the "full breakfast", or would the hotel have the option of saying "No, you must order one entree, one juice, and one coffee". I rather think that I'll never have a problem with this, but just to get an understanding.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by peteropny
Speaking as a member and not the forum moderator here, while this irritates me a bit, I normally leave some cash for a tip anyways so it's not a big deal. If "we" make too much fuss over this, it is possible that Hyatt will just say that the breakfast benefit excludes tip to make it simple.
I can't follow this argument.

First and foremost, Hyatt will not orient their Gold Passport strategy based on FT members.

Second, the issue here is clear: If a hotel has a club closed for example this is a situation where the guest has no other choice than going to the restaurant. That means at least a 5$ tip if you follow the scheme. In the club there is no tip involved, so that's money out of pocket I can not expense.

'Leaving some cash anyway'... While it's certainly your own business what you do with your money it essentially means the server get's up to 10$ for bringing you a coffee/juice. I do not find this proportionate to the service you receive.

This year I had 96 hotel nights so far. If only 60 out of these would have warranted an additional 5$ breakfast tip (not even talking about the number of nights I stayed with 2 people) that means 300$ missing. I have better things to do with my money. As always YMMV.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

First and foremost, Hyatt will not orient their Gold Passport strategy based on FT members.

Second, the issue here is clear: If a hotel has a club closed for example this is a situation where the guest has no other choice than going to the restaurant. That means at least a 5$ tip if you follow the scheme. In the club there is no tip involved, so that's money out of pocket I can not expense.

'Leaving some cash anyway'... While it's certainly your own business what you do with your money it essentially means the server get's up to 10$ for bringing you a coffee/juice. I do not find this proportionate to the service you receive.

This year I had 96 hotel nights so far. If only 60 out of these would have warranted an additional 5$ breakfast tip (not even talking about the number of nights I stayed with 2 people) that means 300$ missing. I have better things to do with my money. As always YMMV.
I quite agree with you - tip should be included in the free breakfast in places where you are expected to tip. Good that we don't leave tip in some countries in Europe. Yes, tip is included at PH Vendome ! In the U.S. I found the system outdated and the not very transparent. Tips often go into a common pot which is then distributed between the hotel and all the waiters. I really hate when tips are automatically added to the bill 'because you are a large party or because you are not from here' in a country where service is quite often amateur and in the hands of too many trainees. Why give a tip when you have to go yourself to a buffet where the food is quite often cold. Stop tip and give them instead a decent salary, train them properly and motivate them accordingly so they provide the level of service to be expected in top class hotel - worldwide. If tip is the only motivator, you usually get poor service, especially at breakfast. One more reason that the Club should remain open 7/7 with proper service (not someone editing his or her face book).

Last edited by Ducatibiker; Sep 29, 2012 at 1:25 am
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

Residing in a non-tipping country, I normally would have to side against peter, but this $300 a year complaint just smacks a bit too much of "the other 47%". At $300 a year I imagine that this works out to about 10 seconds/day of your income? Maybe considerably less, 1 second/day perhaps, or even in the case of Mr. Romney, 1 millisecond/day?

And who in their right might would tip a minimum of $5 for juice and coffee?

Last edited by OsakaWino; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:05 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Speaking as a member and not the forum moderator here, while this irritates me a bit, I normally leave some cash for a tip anyways so it's not a big deal. If "we" make too much fuss over this, it is possible that Hyatt will just say that the breakfast benefit excludes tip to make it simple.
When I stayed at hotels that didn't even present a receipt (e.g. PH DC & PH Chicago) I would leave additional cash tip at the table as the service was usually very good. However, getting a buffet at the HR Irvine there is little, if any, service that warrants tip, yet it is routinely pointed out as the poster child for saying tip is not included. The certificates they hand out even say it on them.
If the GP policy is to include tip then the properties should include it. If GP wants to change the policy that is their right to do so. But, it is has been repeatedly stated on the GP website and here and again in this OP that tip is included. Unless GP changes the policy it is something to fuss over.
My working theory is that the hotel gets reimbursed by GP for the diamond breakfast and some hotels keep the tip as a "handling fee" instead of giving it to the staff.
With all that said, I'm no longer a Diamond () so this doesn't affect me this year.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Although I greatly appreciate GP's clarification, I have never had a problem at any Hyatt ordering off the menu VS a buffet. Not once. And as I have a particular fondness for the orange french toast, I will always ask to order off the menu when it is available.

When I do order off the menu, there has never been a problem ordering (for ex) said french toast, with a side of sausage and home fries...even if each of them was listed separately on the menu, and not rolled up into "one" entree. I have never been charged.

I have also never been told I could only get the cold buffet. As I dislike buffet eggs - when I get the buffet, I order eggs from the wait staff. No problem there either.

The tipping policy has always seemed a little murky - so I ask. If the staff indicates they are taken care of, I will leave a couple extra bucks if the service was good.

If it appears it is NOT included - I tip; without any annoyance whatsoever. Hyatt is overall very generous with bennies. To pay the occassional tip, warranted or not, is insignificant to me. TEHO.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
In my experience the HR Irvine does cover tip (up to 15 %). Anything over that is the guest's responsibility. I like that property, and I usually leave about 18 % for a tip. They are quite generous for breakfast on Monday mornings when the RC is closed if they do not have a buffet that day. I was told that I could order as much as I want off the menu when I asked about any limits on the diamond breakfast.

I am not going to lose any sleep over having to cough up an extra $.50 cents a day for a tip at the HR Irvine.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I don't understand this line of thinking at all. If hotels decide not to award stated HGP benefits, we shouldn't complain because HGP might eliminate the benefits? Seems absurdly fatalistic.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
When offered, the buffet option provided to Diamond members is to include the full buffet , including hot items.
I appreciate this clarification. I recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, and they offered only the continental buffet; they wanted $8 additional for the full buffet with the hot items. So at least it's clear that the Park Hyatt Melbourne isn't in compliance with the above.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:40 pm

unfortunately hotels do not get reimbursed by GP for diamond breakfast. in fact, hotels room revenue with point stay is usually about 25% of their BAR rate. I see this by accident on a few stays

Originally Posted by skunker
When I stayed at hotels that didn't even present a receipt (e.g. PH DC & PH Chicago) I would leave additional cash tip at the table as the service was usually very good. However, getting a buffet at the HR Irvine there is little, if any, service that warrants tip, yet it is routinely pointed out as the poster child for saying tip is not included. The certificates they hand out even say it on them.
If the GP policy is to include tip then the properties should include it. If GP wants to change the policy that is their right to do so. But, it is has been repeatedly stated on the GP website and here and again in this OP that tip is included. Unless GP changes the policy it is something to fuss over.
My working theory is that the hotel gets reimbursed by GP for the diamond breakfast and some hotels keep the tip as a "handling fee" instead of giving it to the staff.
With all that said, I'm no longer a Diamond () so this doesn't affect me this year.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
One Hyatt I stay at frequently allows me to get breakfast to go from their cafe (salads, sandwiches, etc.), because it opens before the buffet does, and I need to leave for work before they open the buffet. As long as my "take" is about what the breakfast buffet costs, they comp it all. I usually get a breakfast sammy and a light lunch out of the deal.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by flyertalkbudda
unfortunately hotels do not get reimbursed by GP for diamond breakfast. in fact, hotels room revenue with point stay is usually about 25% of their BAR rate. I see this by accident on a few stays
On my last stay using a free night at the GH DFW, the bill showed a charge of ~$170 for a package which was taken off with the explanation that it is what Hyatt will reimburse the hotel and it should have been automatically removed.

I love this hotel, but on that weekend the rates were around $145. I don't know if they use different reimbursement rates for different award types, but in this case I thought Hyatt was overpaying them for my award night and I couldn't believe it was so high. I was using an expiring credit card night which might get a higher reimbursement rate (the Cat 4 or below renewal night, NOT one of the original suite nights). I've never seen it on a normal points stay, but it would be interesting if the rates for points vs. annual credit card night are that different.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:08 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikew99
I appreciate this clarification. I recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne, and they offered only the continental buffet; they wanted $8 additional for the full buffet with the hot items. So at least it's clear that the Park Hyatt Melbourne isn't in compliance with the above.
Ditto. This is what I was just about to ask GPConcierge.

At the PH MEL, the Park Lounge does not open for breakfast except for Sundays. Diamond and Park Lounge guests are entitled to breakfast in the restaurant.

There is a buffet, and the Chef will make cooked eggs to order. When I have ordered Eggs Benedict, or an Omelette, the property adds an additional $8 for the 'hot breakfast.'

In this case, can I now dispute this charge?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Ditto. This is what I was just about to ask GPConcierge.

At the PH MEL, the Park Lounge does not open for breakfast except for Sundays. Diamond and Park Lounge guests are entitled to breakfast in the restaurant.

There is a buffet, and the Chef will make cooked eggs to order. When I have ordered Eggs Benedict, or an Omelette, the property adds an additional $8 for the 'hot breakfast.'

In this case, can I now dispute this charge?
YES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.