Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Trial -- Suite upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Kurosawa22
Is this really the case? I had read elsewhere that the upgrade certs can be applied until the February 28 expiration even when one fails the trial and falls back to Platinum or Gold.
correct
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:42 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Well I'm also a bit confused... as I started my Challenge on January 12, I received my 4 upgrades, as stated. But their expiry date was definitely not February 28, 2013 (but again, my memory might be faulty but if they were expiring Feb 28, 2013, i would have used them on my existing reservations for sure, that's why I'm 99% sure they were not expiring this year).

And on March 1st, I see on my activities, I see "Award" 4 times with zero values.

These are probably just an automatic renewal because my Challenge goal has been reached yesterday only (March 3rd).
As a proactive reaction, I wanted to check whether I should go ahead and use these "old" awards and wait to receive 4 new ones once they confirm my Challenge? Or is it wishful thinking haha? I'm fine with either, I just don't want to see 4 awards vanish in space
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
It will be 2014 with successful completion - won't be 2015 until october or so.

12 nights is probably too short for a negotiated rate - you can try though.
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Why do you say that? I started my trial in June 2012, and I'm good until February 2014.
Originally Posted by jmw2323
cutoff is around june
Newbie here so some beginner questions.

I've got 3 reservations so far. July 17 to 24 at Hyatt Regency Orange County, July 27 to August 11 at Grand Hyatt Kauai, and March 19 to April 9, 2014 at Orlando, Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress so far booked.

Question: Should I start my Diamond Challenge in time for our first stay at Hyatt in July this year (and does this mean I would get Diamond status until the end of 2015 as per quotes above?)? Or should I start the challenge February 2014 and have my stay at Grand Cypress meet the challenge?

Currently I've booked a suite for Orange County, and have secured a suite at Grand Hyatt Kauai. Having suite upgrades would not matter to me as a result of getting involved with the challenge. What matters is having the diamond status as long as possible when I start and that means having it for the entire 2015 year. If the cutoff is end of June, it sounds doing the challenge in July would give me status to the end of 2015. That would mean a set of suite u/gs in July, as well as March 1st, 2014, and a set for March 1st, 2015 with Diamond status til the end of 2015? If not, I'll do the challenge in February and get a set of suite u/g at sign up, another set March 1st, 2014, and an another set March 1st, 2015. The first set of suite u/g usable so long as I make reservations by February 28th, 2014. That would mean potentially up to 84 nights in suite u/gs?

Hyatt is very similar to the old Fairmont system, but lots to learn. Thanks all for the interesting read.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What matters is having the diamond status as long as possible when I start and that means having it for the entire 2015 year. If the cutoff is end of June, it sounds doing the challenge in July would give me status to the end of 2015.
Diamond status for the year begins on March 1st and ends on February 28th the following year. Depending on the timing of your successful challenge (there is no definitive date...it is at the discretion of Hyatt each year) you may be awarded Diamond status until end of February 2014, or end of February 2015. Under no circumstance would you have Diamond status throughout 2015 without first qualifying for the year under normal qualification standards, ie, 25 stays or 50 total nights during calendar year 2014.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Diamond status for the year begins on March 1st and ends on February 28th the following year. Depending on the timing of your successful challenge (there is no definitive date...it is at the discretion of Hyatt each year) you may be awarded Diamond status until end of February 2014, or end of February 2015. Under no circumstance would you have Diamond status throughout 2015 without first qualifying for the year under normal qualification standards, ie, 25 stays or 50 total nights during calendar year 2014.
I reflected awhile on your post..

So, it doesn't matter which way I cut it, qualifying through diamond trial in July/August of this year, or diamond trial in Feb 2014, both scenarios I would need to qualify 50 nights through calendar year 2014 to enjoy diamond status for the entire calendar year 2015?

So may as well get off onto the Diamond challenge right away in July, as I assume the program will give me a chance with a full calendar year to qualify the 50 nights/25 stays (in 2014 as we'll be more than half way past 2013 July on). That is if I qualify the 12 nights within 60 days if I start the challenge after July 1st. Am I on the right track?

So in terms of suite u/gs, I'll get a set of 4 when I sign up for the challenge, and if i qualify the 12 nights I'll get another set after March 1st 2014 (challenge beginning after July 1, 2013)? But 2014 I must qualify for the 50 nights/25 stays to remain diamond I assume.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I reflected awhile on your post..

So, it doesn't matter which way I cut it, qualifying through diamond trial in July/August of this year, or diamond trial in Feb 2014, both scenarios I would need to qualify 50 nights through calendar year 2014 to enjoy diamond status for the entire calendar year 2015?
If you don't do a bunch of one night stays, then yes, you will need the full 50. The only way around that is to wait until the cutoff date in 2014 to do the challenge...although I should point out that, as the old Diamond Status Match program ended abruptly, there is no guarantee that the current Diamond Challenge will still exist in its current state at the time that you wish to make it.

So may as well get off onto the Diamond challenge right away in July, as I assume the program will give me a chance with a full calendar year to qualify the 50 nights/25 stays (in 2014 as we'll be more than half way past 2013 July on). That is if I qualify the 12 nights within 60 days if I start the challenge after July 1st. Am I on the right track?
Correct. Assuming that the Diamond Challenge still exists at that time.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:55 pm

Okay, read the thread, still confused. Sorry to be dense, but:

I am on a Diamond Trial/Challenge right now. I'm hoping to complete the challenge and earn Diamond for the rest of the program year, but there's a chance I won't. If I don't, what happens to my suite upgrades?

Specifically - I currently have a reservation booked using a suite upgrade - in August. If I'm no longer a Diamond, will I no longer be in the suite?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:24 pm
Suspended

I thought someone more seasoned would have answered the question by now but I'll give it a try. I stand corrected if I don't have this straight.

If you booked the reservation using the suite upgrade, once your Diamond trial is over, the reservation will remain intact, however if you make any changes to your reservation, you will lose your suite upgrade. While you are Diamond, you can make any changes you want until February 28th, 2014 (or when your Diamond trial ends whichever comes first), assuming that its new set of Diamond Suite Upgrades that you received March 1st, 2013. However, if your reservation is utilizing a suite upgrade prior to February 28th, 2013, then any changes you make now, you will lose your Diamond Suite upgrade that is from the old set of four suite upgrades when you signed up for your Diamond Trial. However if you don't mind losing the old suite upgrade prior to February 28th, 2013, to make a change using one of the four new suite upgrades you received March 1st, 2013, then you may make the change on your reservation until February 2014 or when your Diamond Trial ends, whichever comes first. But be advised, any reservations you've made with suite upgrades prior to February 28th, 2013, you will lose any ability to use the incentive.. and suite upgrades are pretty valuable.

Again, I'm a Newbie, so take the advice with a grain of salt.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Plat, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
You do not have to burn them by Feb 2013....you have to BOOK them by that date. And if you end up making any changes, you will lose them...but better than burning them IMO.
Is that still true?

I was just denied and told that the stay date must be before expiration date of the cert.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anpe
Is that still true?

I was just denied and told that the stay date must be before expiration date of the cert.
It sounded like the program got 'enhanced' all of a sudden.

I just called the Hyatt Gold Pass Passport concierge (and somebody might want to call the Diamond Line to confirm, as I don't have access to the Diamond line until my Diamond challenge which I plan to begin in July if its still available), and they confirmed that as long as a reservation is made by February 28th, 2014, a suite upgrade can be used towards a stay after February 28th, 2014. Date changes may still happen, but if a reservation is cancelled, then the award will no longer be redeemable. The date change possible is something new I just found out, as based on my reading so far, I thought a date change on the reservation after February 28th, 2014, or any changes for that matter on the reservation which the suite upgrade is applied would deem the certificate unusable period. Again, someone may want to comment on this new tidbit of information.

Based on date being March 9th, 2013, 9 days after the program year switch over, did you try to use the suite upgrades that expired February 28th, 2013? If so, its too late to make the reservation now. I also noticed that you're Hyatt Platinum in your signature. Are you on a Diamond Trial currently? You have a new set of suite upgrades to use as at March 1st, 2013. The set of 4 suite upgrades if unuses prior to February 28th, 2013 is now toast.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I really wonder how many times this can be asked and answered . .....but I guess it's not really in the sticky (not that many would bother reading that even though it's quite good).

You can use the Diamond upgrades for stays after their expiration dates, you just need to apply them to a reservation before their expiry date. Any changes to that reservation after their expiry date and you are on your own, and you will most likely lose the use of the upgrade (I guess it depends a little on how the change is actually made). With a cancellation, made after the expiry date, you will lose it for sure.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:26 pm

In this space I originally asked a dumb question, the answer to which was on Hyatt's website plain as day... So I edited what was said in order to retroactively cure my stupidity.

Thank you.

Last edited by Kurosawa22; Mar 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nope, it's for any paid stay up to 7 nights. One or two nights work just as well...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:06 pm

RTW1, thanks for answering my question anyway. I had not seen your response when I edited my own, and I do appreciate that you answered me even though I feel like a ninny.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:01 am

Thanks everyone for the patient and thoughtful responses. Thanks especially to Ancien Maestro ^

Can't wait to use my awards!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.