Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency SFO airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency SFO airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
My Diamond breakfast at the sports bar was excellent and was comped as expected.
Are they comping breakfast for Diamonds? I most recently stayed here last month and they didn't. Instead, the RC was at a temporary location on 9th, and the breakfast selection included banana and sugary cereal. NOT even yogurt....
Old May 15, 2016, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by savekenny
Instead, the RC was at a temporary location on 9th, and the breakfast selection included banana and sugary cereal. NOT even yogurt....
I wonder if they got in trouble with GP (again) for that.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by savekenny
Are they comping breakfast for Diamonds? I most recently stayed here last month and they didn't. Instead, the RC was at a temporary location on 9th, and the breakfast selection included banana and sugary cereal. NOT even yogurt....
To be precise, the temporary lounge is on the 5th floor and to be fair they did have some sugary cake to go with the sugary cereal
Old May 18, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
When I stayed last week the temporary lounge was on the 5th floor about as far away as possible from the elevator in a tiny room with maybe 6 tables. The offerings were very minimal.

Even more of an issue is how extensive the renovations are at the hotel. IMO, they should've shut-down for a few months to do everything at once. Instead, it makes for a crappy guest experience. Also, work is going on every day from 8:45am-6pm and if you need to sleep past 8:45am or need a quiet room to work during the day, stay at another hotel. Work is literally going on everywhere all floors (I asked for a 'quiet area' and after being told I was accommodated, was awoken by drilling at 8:45am the next morning). The drilling is often non-stop, too. I was told construction will be complete in September.

On the plus side, I had a newly-renovated room and can say that they're very nice. The new TVs are the best quality I've seen in a hotel room.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Talking

My wife and I stayed there last night, as we have at least once a month for almost 16 years. As the 9th floor is being renovated, we were on the 6th floor in a renovated room near the elevators. We had no problems whatsoever with the lights going on and off, as some have reported, nor was there any smell from the carpet or paint (and my wife can smell tuna through a can). The carpeting in the room and tile and shower in the bathroom are beautiful. No more combo shower/bath unless you have a 2 bedded room, which will still have the combo tub. The new shower was great.

The problem with the light in the entry hall going on and off during the night is probably related to the sensor that is on its switch. I think it is meant to turn on as soon as you enter the room. However, I think if there is any movement whatsoever in the room during the night, it will turn on. It does have a switch on it to turn off the sensor, so we did that and had no problems.

We were a little amazed that the same old dark wood credenza, the nightstands, and the dark wood vanity in the bathroom appeared to be unchanged and still had nicks (maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looked the same). It's sort of out of place with the other updated features of the room. I also was amazed with the carpet in the lobby - I agree that it looks like a blue carpet that someone has splashed bleach all over. Some decorator who was hullicating ???

The Club was horrible in both its size and offerings. Hopefully, when they are relocated back to the 9th floor, that hot food, salads, etc. will come back. If not, this will go from being one of the best domestic Clubs to potentially one at the bottom of the list. I hope they will listen to the Diamond members and not disappoint. Voice your opinions !!!

So, a good stay. Great front desk staff. A very friendly Club host - given what he has to work with.

Last edited by JIMCHI; May 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I'm less than impressed with the property as of late, compared to the opinions of those above.

I've stayed at this property perhaps 50 nights in the last 2 years. It keeps going downhill and now, following the recent renovation, things, in my opinion, are getting worse.

I was told by the front desk staff last night that room service is permanently no longer available. This means that the Regency Club may not even have hot food going forward (similar to now with the temporary location), although the manager was not 100% sure if the hot food was definitively gone.

I cannot even fathom how they are catering for events without a central kitchen and room service. I was told by friends working at the front desk that many, many customers have been complaining. I just emailed the GM myself this afternoon. The duty manager yesterday told me that to make up for the lack of room service, the new restaurant will stay open until 11pm or later, similar to Knuckles is now. She also said that many Hyatt Regency's across the country domestically will soon stop room service for cost savings. I find this hard to believe, but nevertheless, she said Chicago is implementing this plan across the Regency chain within the US.

While I think the staff are quite friendly, and I appreciate their service and efforts (especially the day and night managers), I have found housekeeping to be poor (dirty dishes and glasses left in the sinks after a cleaning) and service within Knuckles to be terrible. The food is also pretty bad - they no longer have their signature dish (baby back ribs) due to "cost cutting" and now permanently have 5 bar options only plus a nightly dinner buffet (consisting of very few items which are reminiscent of a cafeteria food).

While I love modern architecture, I think the remodeled interior courtyard is quite ugly. I actually preferred the old design, which had much more greenery. The new one feels sterile. I'm sure it'll be better once they open the restaurant and bar.

The temporary club was so bad that the manager offered points in compensation. I love the club staff, but the quality and variety of the offerings, especially now, can't live up to the HR or GH downtown. It's sad to think that this may be the permanent club offering.

I did finally get a chance to try the pool and gym just this morning and was pleasantly surprised, they are both adequate. They were smart to put the pool on the eastern side of the hotel to minimize wind coming from the west.

All of my feedback considered, I still find this property to be a great value for 8K points. As a Courtesy Card member, I've had consistent suite upgrades which have been quite nice - the suites tend to be larger than many other properties.

Finally on the renovation, I found the new rooms to of course be nicer, but as others said above, some of the furnishings are still the old ones, mixed in with the new. Very strange. The fridge and phone were both not working in my room last night. Little consistent service problems like this are annoying to say the least.

I hope with consistent feedback from elites, they will improve the hard product more. I just feel like this renovation and cost cutting has simply hurt the hotel, when it was probably designed to improve the customer experience.

I'm glad the new Hyatt SFO is coming soon. I think it's a Grand if I recall correctly.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by ainternational
I'm glad the new Hyatt SFO is coming soon. I think it's a Grand if I recall correctly.
I cant wait.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by ainternational
I'm less than impressed with the property as of late, compared to the opinions of those above.

I've stayed at this property perhaps 50 nights in the last 2 years. It keeps going downhill and now, following the recent renovation, things, in my opinion, are getting worse.

I was told by the front desk staff last night that room service is permanently no longer available. This means that the Regency Club may not even have hot food going forward (similar to now with the temporary location), although the manager was not 100% sure if the hot food was definitively gone.

I cannot even fathom how they are catering for events without a central kitchen and room service. I was told by friends working at the front desk that many, many customers have been complaining. I just emailed the GM myself this afternoon. The duty manager yesterday told me that to make up for the lack of room service, the new restaurant will stay open until 11pm or later, similar to Knuckles is now. She also said that many Hyatt Regency's across the country domestically will soon stop room service for cost savings. I find this hard to believe, but nevertheless, she said Chicago is implementing this plan across the Regency chain within the US.

While I think the staff are quite friendly, and I appreciate their service and efforts (especially the day and night managers), I have found housekeeping to be poor (dirty dishes and glasses left in the sinks after a cleaning) and service within Knuckles to be terrible. The food is also pretty bad - they no longer have their signature dish (baby back ribs) due to "cost cutting" and now permanently have 5 bar options only plus a nightly dinner buffet (consisting of very few items which are reminiscent of a cafeteria food).

While I love modern architecture, I think the remodeled interior courtyard is quite ugly. I actually preferred the old design, which had much more greenery. The new one feels sterile. I'm sure it'll be better once they open the restaurant and bar.

The temporary club was so bad that the manager offered points in compensation. I love the club staff, but the quality and variety of the offerings, especially now, can't live up to the HR or GH downtown. It's sad to think that this may be the permanent club offering.

I did finally get a chance to try the pool and gym just this morning and was pleasantly surprised, they are both adequate. They were smart to put the pool on the eastern side of the hotel to minimize wind coming from the west.

All of my feedback considered, I still find this property to be a great value for 8K points. As a Courtesy Card member, I've had consistent suite upgrades which have been quite nice - the suites tend to be larger than many other properties.

Finally on the renovation, I found the new rooms to of course be nicer, but as others said above, some of the furnishings are still the old ones, mixed in with the new. Very strange. The fridge and phone were both not working in my room last night. Little consistent service problems like this are annoying to say the least.

I hope with consistent feedback from elites, they will improve the hard product more. I just feel like this renovation and cost cutting has simply hurt the hotel, when it was probably designed to improve the customer experience.

Agree with you 100%. But keep in mind that the new GH at the airport will certainly be at much higher rates. Will certainly not attract us. But I expect this horrible food presentation in the Club to be quickly remedied once they are back on the 9th floor. This better not be a permanent situation.

Last edited by JIMCHI; May 24, 2016 at 3:01 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Save the aggrivation and eat across the street at Max's Cafe. I know it's not free but it is a viable alternative.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I called once again to get an update on renovations for a future stay and was told all of the public areas should be completed very soon with the restaurant opening this Thursday the 26th. The only area remaining will be the 9th floor, however she did say noise would still be noticeable throughout the property most likely until they finish.

She also did say the Regency Club offerings were only cold offerings in a very limited space in a conference room on the 5th floor available only for Diamond Guests. After the renovations are complete the Regency Club should move back, however it will remain in line with "Regency Standards."

I asked further and was once again told that it will fall in line with the rest of the Regency Club standards once the renovations are done and not have any hot offerings. Now most clubs I have gone to had at least one or two hot offerings and the Hyatt Regency San Francisco has many usually during the evening. I don't know how exact this will be but I have been told this twice now. I know they tried this once about a year ago but brought the hot food back after much negative feedback.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:23 pm

I was there last friday, had a 4th floor renovated double. I think I did book a double, but they ignored my remarks/request for a king room this time.

Indeed, they seemed to have reused the bathroom fixture bases, but it was fine in this room. All the other finishes seem to be new. I was in an outer room, and the double paning was done to this room also, so you can no longer open the window if that's a factor.

Other than the lack of multiple outlets at the desk, I think they are doing a decent job of making it a modern HR.
Attached Images      
Old May 24, 2016, 9:24 pm

How about the angled lamps and their choice of art?

Love the elevated TV stand!
Attached Images      

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 24, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 9:28 pm

this set includes the previously mentioned entry light switch. I had no problems with it.

I think they did a nice job with the shower/bath fixtures.
Attached Images      

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 24, 2016 at 9:34 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 9:30 pm

They put an insert into one side of the closet.
Attached Images      
Old May 24, 2016, 9:33 pm

that lamp is kind of funky. I think it came from the bizarro superman catalog?

Rocker switch, outlet and usb port on each one.

As with the HR Santa Clara they should consider adding an outlet box to the desk, IMHO.

-David
Attached Images    

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.