Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I personally will take smoked salmon over any eggs every day.

While I think the service is very good (they always remember all my preferences), I agree that it would be nice to have the router already in the room (since I do request it upon arriving every time).
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I personally will take smoked salmon over any eggs every day.
As a NYers weened on bagels and lox (and other smoked fish) I find the smoked salmon to be edible but far from desirable. The breakfast was acceptable but lacking choice as has been mentioned. The coffee machine was very nice but the cups were too small to attempt adding a shot of espresso to a cappuccino. And the swarms that descended for foods, whether at breakfast or in the afternoon, were intense.

I liked how there were multiple areas/rooms within the lounge and was happy overall with the hotel.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And the swarms that descended for foods, whether at breakfast or in the afternoon, were intense.
I can't agree with this, I've never seen the place crowded, ever (granted unlike many Hyatt stays I've never tried to get any happy hour timed food at this property - I'm always eating Japanese dinners on company business).

At breakfast, I find the place never crowded.

Now, I will say that while I always like lox vs. eggs, the lox here isn't the greatest, I will agree there.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I find the smoked salmon to be edible but far from desirable. The breakfast was acceptable but lacking choice as has been mentioned. The coffee machine was very nice but the cups were too small to attempt adding a shot of espresso to a cappuccino. And the swarms that descended for foods, whether at breakfast or in the afternoon, were intense.

I liked how there were multiple areas/rooms within the lounge and was happy overall with the hotel.
I feel exactly the same.... I'm still happy, but that's about it.

Smoked salmon has lost almost all it's appeal to me. It's everywhere and mostly of the low quality farmed kind. And it takes about 3 cappucino's here to get a bit of coffee boost, and as you mentioned no option of adding a bit more. Well, first world problems and all that. But tomorrow it's off to the restaurant again after just having glanced at the dish that's supposed to be scrambled eggs but more resembles an egg custard gone wrong.

And just to give an example of the service that I find to be lacking to make it great.... I had 3 stays planned here with short trips elsewhere and stored a bag. In two other properties my bag was in my new room on arrival, here I had to stand in line to get it on both occassions. I know it a rather massive hotel, but things like these do make a difference.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I can't agree with this, I've never seen the place crowded, ever (granted unlike many Hyatt stays I've never tried to get any happy hour timed food at this property - I'm always eating Japanese dinners on company business).
If you have never been to evening service, then you have no right to comment about the crowds.

I love this club, but the evening service can be ridiculous. Sometimes I will be in line, a new food item will come out...and it will be all gone by the time I reach it!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If you have never been to evening service, then you have no right to comment about the crowds.

I love this club, but the evening service can be ridiculous. Sometimes I will be in line, a new food item will come out...and it will be all gone by the time I reach it!
I can't comment on breakfast or later evening service?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sggolf
Can I get your advice? Arriving with two teens for 4 days. Would do 3 days at HR Tokyo and 1 day at Grand Hyatt or 2 days at each property?

As a Diamond, would we be eligible for free breakfast and if so, which hotel has better food for Diamonds?

Also, would be better to take airport bus or NEX to HR?

Looking for fiun activities for teens.

Thanks!
I'd do 4 days at the HRT. Shinjuku is a better location for getting around Tokyo.

I like the food in the club at the HRT, although it can be really hit or miss in the evening.

For your teens:

Be sure to take them to the food court in the basement of Takashimaya, next to Shinjuku Station. My nieces and nephews love it there. I believe that it is better than the one at Seibu in Ikebukuro.

Also, Kabukicho is pretty cool at night. There are not as many Yakuza there as in the old days before the crack-downs, but you can still see the Chimpira plying their trade in the intersections at night.

I like the "Can-Do" 100 yen shop next to the Shinjuku Prince hotel (I think that it is on the 8th floor of the attached building above the JR station), if you go for that sort of thing. Unlike American dollar stores, Japan's stores, e.g. Daiso, have good quality products.

My favorite noodle shop is Tenkaippin, near the Shinjuku main post office.
They have great tonkotsu ramen, gyoza, fried chicken and kimchi.

Harajuku is very cool on the weekends when the street market is on. It is crazy-crowded with fashionable youth.

The botanical gardens and Meiji-Jingumae shrine are also very close and worth seeing.

IME, the best evening view of Tokyo can be had from the New York Bar at the PHT just across Shinjuku Chuo park. They have great Duck Fat french fries, Beef Chili, a Mushroom and Ricotta pizza and many other excellent appetizers, and the view is worth the premium prices.

If you have any questions, just PM me.

zt

Last edited by zombietooth; May 31, 2014 at 10:56 pm Reason: New Info.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
My favorite noodle shop is Tenka Ippen, near the Shinjuku main post office.
They have great tonkotsu ramen, gyoza, fried chicken and kimchi.

zt
Is that the noodle restaurant that is on a corner (maybe as far as 2 blks from the PO) that has the plastic food in the display outside the door on the right as one enters? If so, I'll second the recommendation - tasty, quality, good price, no smoking, open afternoons - I always get the nabe-yaki udon soup.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Is that the noodle restaurant that is on a corner (maybe as far as 2 blks from the PO) that has the plastic food in the display outside the door on the right as one enters? If so, I'll second the recommendation - tasty, quality, good price, no smoking, open afternoons - I always get the nabe-yaki udon soup.
I know the shop that you are speaking of and it is good as well, but Tenkaippin is only a block and a half from the PO, past the watch corner for Yodobashi Camera on the left. I love it because of the thick pork bone marrow broth and the superb gyoza. You can find Tenkaippin by putting the address,
"1 Chome- 15-9 Nishishinjuku", into google maps and executing "Street View", and then rotating to the right. It is the shop with the red "Rising Sun" logo with a white slash across the center.

Unfortunately, Tenkaippin is very popular with salarymen who routinely pack it full after 8 PM, and smoking is de rigeur for them. I always arrive well before 8 to avoid the smoke.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 16, 2014 at 11:34 pm Reason: Misspelled Tenkaippin.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I was not a fan of the thick broth at Tenkaippin. It tasted too much of egg yolks. I did like the gyoza, though.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:55 am

Hyatt Regency Tokyo paying more for 2 guest??

Hi there

I just realized that the hyatt regency in tokyo charges more on the reservation when booking 2 people in a room.
Since I just booked a room for one person but my boyfriend will be staying with me...would I be able to get away with this or will the charge me for the extra person?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:02 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Welcome to FT, mngo4322!

Yes, if they discover you they will likely charge you more. Have you contacted the hotel or Gold Passport to change your reservation? The extra charge is nominal AFAIK.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:06 am

armagebedar

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have not changed it yet.
I guess I'll have to call and change it. I was just perplex as to why it's more.
Also.. Do they verify corporate codes?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:01 am

In Asia, esp Japan, it is common for there to be a small difference if there are 2 guests instead of one, just as it is common for there to be no difference in the west.

Corporate codes are often checked in Japan, though not always.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:16 am

Just checked in... got upgraded to the Atrium Suite. I did not use a diamond upgrade. At the front desk I asked if I could pay to upgrade (knowing if they said use I could use a DSU) they came back and said that they had put me in the suite but I needed to wait an hour for it to be cleaned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.