Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I wa much more impressed with PHT when staying as a Diamond last year than when I stayed as a Plat about 12 years ago. Liked Conrad a lot when staying as a Diamond; preferred standard room at Conrad to standard room at PHT. If no status at either I would probably choose Andaz (depending on rates).
Old May 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Park Hyatt Tokyo has gutted their Diamond breakfast benefit. Last year they told Diamonds that they could order anything that they wanted on the menu; now, with no warning, they have limited it to ONLY the buffet, Healthy Choice breakfast, or Japanese breakfast. Only one egg dish with the buffet (that's only the egg...no little side dishes included with it anymore); everything else now costs extra. And Eggs Benedict has been removed from the menu.

All that, and was served the worst Royal Milk Tea I've ever had after a 20 minute wait.

Breakfast experience has fallen way behind the Andaz Tokyo.
Originally Posted by Duke777
Here right now and can echo the cut breakfast amenity. I was wondering if the current offering is standard: American or Japanese breakfast room service that comes with 1-2 eggs, sausage/ham/bacon, yogurt with fruit, pastries, juice, and coffee/tea. Tired of it after a few days.
I wonder if the change in the diamond breakfast has anything to do with the new GM - Herve Mazella? It looks like he's coming to Hyatt with experience from SPG and has been with Hyatt since 2012. The old GM Philippe Roux-Dessarps is now with Hyatt corporate as VP of Global Brands. The timing looks about right for the change. Philippe left in March 2016 and it's early May, just enough time for Herve to gut the breakfast and make changes. All speculation of course, but wanted to throw it out there.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Park Hyatt Tokyo has gutted their Diamond breakfast benefit. Last year they told Diamonds that they could order anything that they wanted on the menu; now, with no warning, they have limited it to ONLY the buffet, Healthy Choice breakfast, or Japanese breakfast. Only one egg dish with the buffet (that's only the egg...no little side dishes included with it anymore); everything else now costs extra. And Eggs Benedict has been removed from the menu.

All that, and was served the worst Royal Milk Tea I've ever had after a 20 minute wait.

Breakfast experience has fallen way behind the Andaz Tokyo.
Hi hailstorm,

I haven't stayed here since these changes were instituted, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me since I have a 3 week work stay coming up soon.

I am not as concerned with the quantity of the breakfast, but more with the quality. Also, does the buffet have smoked salmon, cream cheese and onions/capers? How about the pastry selection?

Is the service slow or unpredictable, so that one couldn't predictably plan a block of time for breakfast?

Do you still recommend eating breakfast here, or would you recommend going off property for breakfast (I have to stay here or at the HRT, so I can't really change to a better property)?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 6, 2016, 1:36 pm

Philippe was a great guy, he will be missed. But with this new chap, the decline of PHT will continue. They're officially out of the city's top hotels. Especially if Aman is able to fix the service issues. Sad.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ang2383
I wonder if the change in the diamond breakfast has anything to do with the new GM - Herve Mazella?
I wouldn't doubt it. It coincides with the timing of cost-cutting measures at Hyatt Regency Tokyo once their new GM took over laat year.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Hi hailstorm,

I haven't stayed here since these changes were instituted, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me since I have a 3 week work stay coming up soon.

I am not as concerned with the quantity of the breakfast, but more with the quality. Also, does the buffet have smoked salmon, cream cheese and onions/capers? How about the pastry selection?

Is the service slow or unpredictable, so that one couldn't predictably plan a block of time for breakfast?

Do you still recommend eating breakfast here, or would you recommend going off property for breakfast (I have to stay here or at the HRT, so I can't really change to a better property)?

Thanks for your help!
If you don't know what you're missing, then don't worry about it. Park Hyatt Tokyo still has the best hard product of all the Hyatts in Japan. Sure you might occasionally wait 20 minutes for your first cup of coffee in the morning, but that shouldn't discourage you from experiencing PHT at least once.

That said, three weeks is pretty long, so if that specific location isn't so important, I might recommend splitting time somewhere else (e.g. Grand Hyatt) as well.

Last edited by hailstorm; May 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
If you don't know what you're missing, then don't worry about it. Park Hyatt Tokyo still has the best hard product of all the Hyatts in Japan. Sure you might occasionally wait 20 minutes for your first cup of coffee in the morning, but that shouldn't discourage you from experiencing PHT at least once.

That said, three weeks is pretty long, so if that specific location isn't so important, I might recommend splitting time somewhere else (e.g. Grand Hyatt) as well.
Oh, I've stayed there many times and am used to the old, "order anything you want", Diamond breakfast. I honestly never even looked at the buffet, so I had no idea what was on it. That is why I am wondering what I am in for. Is it actually a "Breakfast Viking"? Or just a "continental" style offering?

I assume that it's more extensive than the HRT, Regency Club, breakfast spread.

Yes, 3 weeks in one place can get old, but I only have the option of PHT or the HRT to due contractual obligations, and I can't see shifting to the HRT for part of the stay just for variety.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 6, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I've stayed there many times and am used to the old, "order anything you want", Diamond breakfast. I honestly never even looked at the buffet, so I had no idea what was on it. That is why I am wondering what I am in for. Is it actually a "Breakfast Viking"? Or just a "continental" style offering?
There's scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon (I *think* there was smoked salmon, but I don't actively look for such things), a wide variety of things. You also still have the option to order the Healthy Breakfast, the Japanese Breakfast, or any combination of things through room service up to 4200 yen a day (the value of the buffet)

Don't forget Twilight Time, which is unlimited cocktails and hors d'oeuvres from 5-8pm, and, with the exception of the one hour reduction in time, is the one area that they hotel has improved on this year.

I assume that it's more extensive than the HRT breakfast spread.
Correct. It only comes with the lounge breakfast, which itself is still better than your average "continental" fare. If you write the HRT GM in advance of a long stay, he might give you a few free passes to the Western or Japanese restaurant breakfast to help break up the monotony.

Yes, 3 weeks in one place can get old, but I only have the option of PHT or the HRT to due contractual obligations, and I can't see shifting to the HRT for part of the stay just for variety.
If the company is paying for everything, and your only choices are PHT and HRT, and you don't care about saving money for your company, then PHT for the whole stay is still the logical choice.

Even so, if I had a DSU to burn and there was opening for an Atrium Suite, I'd still choose to spend a week at HRT.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:08 pm

There's scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon (I *think* there was smoked salmon, but I don't actively look for such things), a wide variety of things. You also still have the option to order the Healthy Breakfast, the Japanese Breakfast, or any combination of things through room service up to 4200 yen a day (the value of the buffet)

Don't forget Twilight Time, which is unlimited cocktails and hors d'oeuvres from 5-8pm, and, with the exception of the one hour reduction in time, is the one area that they hotel has improved on this year.

Correct. It only comes with the lounge breakfast, which itself is still better than your average "continental" fare. If you write the HRT GM in advance of a long stay, he might give you a few free passes to the Western or Japanese restaurant breakfast to help break up the monotony.

If the company is paying for everything, and your only choices are PHT and HRT, and you don't care about saving money for your company, then PHT for the whole stay is still the logical choice.

Even so, if I had a DSU to burn and there was opening for an Atrium Suite, I'd still choose to spend a week at HRT.
^Thanks so much for the advice. It is most appreciated.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^Thanks so much for the advice. It is most appreciated.
Forgot to mention that you still get one prepared egg dish with the buffet. No more Eggs Benedict, but the omelettes are still good.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:06 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I managed to get the hotel to grandfather me into the old Hyatt diamond breakfast ( I booked the hotel, because of the fact you can order what ever you want). You can try to do it with the Hyatt concierge.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm trying to book the park hyatt on points in June and its not letting me. There are still rooms for sale. Does hyatt black out certain dates even when they have open rooms? Yesterday it had an offering to redeem for points.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I'm trying to book the park hyatt on points in June and its not letting me. There are still rooms for sale. Does hyatt black out certain dates even when they have open rooms? Yesterday it had an offering to redeem for points.
Are Park King/Park Twin rooms available at the Standard Rate?
Old May 22, 2016, 7:24 pm

Are Park King/Park Twin rooms available at the Standard Rate?
I guess that is the problem. There are some park kings available but they are either deluxe or have a view so I guess I can't use points on any of those.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Sometimes the system will reject points-only stays if at least one of the days isn't available. To work around this I booked: Mon-points, Tues-points, Wed-paid, or some version of this.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
Sometimes the system will reject points-only stays if at least one of the days isn't available. To work around this I booked: Mon-points, Tues-points, Wed-paid, or some version of this.
Yea, I was only looking for one particular night and ended up going with Grand Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.