Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:40 pm

I just completed a 1-night stay at the GH and it was great. What spectacular service! We left before breakfast opened so the hotel prepared bentos for our entire party. The lounge was also very nice. I'll definitely be staying here again!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:13 am

does the grand club close here?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by yerffej201
does the grand club close here?
If I remember correctly, cocktail time was until 7:30 and then it was open till 9 pm for coffee/tea (and maybe some cookies, and probably soft drinks I guess).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Review of November Stay (GHF)

Completed a stay with Mrs. Selfish back in late November.

PROS
- Used a diamond suite upgrade, suite was lovely & spacious
- Suite amenity of fruit, wine, and cookies was nice
- Still love the lounge and the sauna area
- Proximity to Canal City for ramen and shopping

CONS
- Charged extra pp, something like 2000 yen, I believe?

Overall a very lovely stay. If you're into saunas, the sauna at the GHF is in many ways superior to the PHT's!

Full review with pictures here for anyone who is interested: http://theselfishyears.com/2014/01/1...hyatt-fukuoka/
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I just spent 2 nights at the HR Fukuoka. I haven't stayed in a Hyatt in years, as over the past 8 years I've been giving Marriott my business whenever possible.

Here's my quick review:

Pros:
  • General areas clean and well-kept
  • Competitive room rates for Fukuoka
  • On-site restaurants/bakery were excellent
  • Friendly staff
  • Less than a 5 minute drive to the FUK domestic terminal

Cons:
  • All 4 rooms I reserved were non-smoking, but clearly had been smoked in
  • Walls are paper thin. One of my employees had the room adjacent to me and unfortunately I could hear everything.
  • Parking garage attendant was MIA at 6AM on checkout day (Monday, Feb. 10) / Took over 45 minutes to have someone pull our car up on the elevator
  • No upgrade available while on Diamond Challenge
  • Upon checkout, room rate was ¥2000 higher than what was on the reservation and written on my check in envelope. Didn't try to argue the point too hard but was told "That's the correct rate"
  • No WiFi in rooms / Ethernet (wired) only
  • As with most Japanese-style hotels, I'm a giant at 5'9" in the shower and bathroom. The sink was a few inches above my knees and the shower head was at forehead level.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed with my stay. I would consider this more of a "Japanese business" hotel, but the location is decent and it's not bad for a short stay. I wouldn't recommend it to someone for a longer stay duration or someone who prefers more of Western-type hotel and amenities.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is the second review that mentions an additional charge of JPY 2.000. Anybody know what's up with that?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
This is the second review that mentions an additional charge of JPY 2.000. Anybody know what's up with that?
Both HR and GH Fukuoka have single/double occupancy rates, and I suspect that is the reason. HR Osaka also has single/double occupancy rates.

I know most North Americans are outraged by the "extra charge" for double occupancy, but single travellers might consider it a "discount" for single occupancy. Europeans are probably not as surprised; I noticed that HR Mainz also has single/double occupancy rates.

Edited: I noticed that the difference between single and double occupancy at both HR and GH Fukuoka is considerably more than ¥2000/night, so my above assumption may not be correct.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Feb 11, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Edited: I noticed that the difference between single and double occupancy at both HR and GH Fukuoka is considerably more than ¥2000/night, so my above assumption may not be correct.
Correct, each room reserved was occupied by a single person. My room rate was ¥16000 per night on my reservation and check in slip, but my receipt shows ¥18000 per night.

And just to further clarify, it's 1 line item of ¥18000, not something to the effect of:

Room Rate - ¥16000
Service Charge - ¥2000
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by UnderEst
Correct, each room reserved was occupied by a single person. My room rate was ¥16000 per night on my reservation and check in slip, but my receipt shows ¥18000 per night.

And just to further clarify, it's 1 line item of ¥18000, not something to the effect of:

Room Rate - ¥16000
Service Charge - ¥2000
Well that is strange. Sorry to have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

It's almost like the rate of ¥16,000 is exclusive of service charges & taxes, like the current trend in Tokyo, but then it would not come out to exactly ¥18,000, and it would surely be broken down.

Could they possibly have swapped you into a standard daily rate when the res was actually made at some discounted (prepaid, AARP, etc)? Or maybe mistakenly charged you a B&B rate?

Last edited by OsakaWino; Feb 11, 2014 at 2:40 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The only possibility I can come up with is that JPY 16000 is a My Elite rate and that you booked more than one room..... And they adjusted the other rooms to the regular pricing.

I also had a JPY 16000 My Elite reservation for more than one room, and when applying my suite upgrade was told that ME only can be used for one room. The confirmation clearly shows that the rate includes all taxes.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
The only possibility I can come up with is that JPY 16000 is a My Elite rate and that you booked more than one room..... And they adjusted the other rooms to the regular pricing.

I also had a JPY 16000 My Elite reservation for more than one room, and when applying my suite upgrade was told that ME only can be used for one room. The confirmation clearly shows that the rate includes all taxes.
That would make sense. The OP at the HR mentions that he was on a Diamond Challenge, so thereby able to book the My Elite rate.

But I wonder what the OP at the GH was charged for. He seems to say that there was a ¥2000/person (pp ?) charge. They were staying in a suite on a Dia suite upgrade following a failed Dia challenge and with no additional rooms.

BTW, I know that these 2 hotels don't get a lot of attention, but I find that having them both in the same thread can be very confusing.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Feb 11, 2014 at 4:46 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:58 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Grand and HR Fukuoka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Agreed. The HR and GH are very different hotels and deserve their own threads. (I agree the HR is rather dire, but the rates tend to reflect that...)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
That would make sense. The OP at the HR mentions that he was on a Diamond Challenge, so thereby able to book the My Elite rate.

But I wonder what the OP at the GH was charged for. He seems to say that there was a ¥2000/person (pp ?) charge. They were staying in a suite on a Dia suite upgrade following a failed Dia challenge and with no additional rooms.

BTW, I know that these 2 hotels don't get a lot of attention, but I find that having them both in the same thread can be very confusing.
When I made the reservation, I wasn't under the Diamond Challenge/status match. My reservation was for a "double room" and I believe ¥16000 was the "standard rate" for that weekend. I wasn't given an upgraded room pr even one with a view. The other 3 rooms were changed over to the individual's names and credit cards. They all received check in slips with ¥16000 written on it and their room number. Upon checkout, the receipt showed ¥18000 without any specific reason.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:40 am

When I made the reservation, I wasn't under the Diamond Challenge/status match. My reservation was for a "double room" and I believe ¥16000 was the "standard rate" for that weekend. I wasn't given an upgraded room pr even one with a view. The other 3 rooms were changed over to the individual's names and credit cards. They all received check in slips with ¥16000 written on it and their room number. Upon checkout, the receipt showed ¥18000 without any specific reason.
It really is strange. I've been looking at some weekends at HR Fukuoka, and it seems like a good many Sat nights are sold out, which might explain why no upgrade. Hope you at least got Club access. I believe they had closed the Club for a while last year, but it seems to be open again now.

¥18,000 seems like the higher end of the spectrum for a single room for a Sat night, and it would seem to be less for a combination of Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I just spent 2 nights at the HR Fukuoka. I haven't stayed in a Hyatt in years, as over the past 8 years I've been giving Marriott my business whenever possible.

Here's my quick review:

Pros:
  • General areas clean and well-kept
  • Competitive room rates for Fukuoka
  • On-site restaurants/bakery were excellent
  • Friendly staff
  • Less than a 5 minute drive to the FUK domestic terminal

Cons:[LIST][*]All 4 rooms I reserved were non-smoking, but clearly had been smoked in

Overall, I was slightly disappointed with my stay. I would consider this more of a "Japanese business" hotel, but the location is decent and it's not bad for a short stay. I wouldn't recommend it to someone for a longer stay duration or someone who prefers more of Western-type hotel and amenities.
When I wanted to book a suite, I was told all suites have been designated as "smoking".
Although my room had been upgraded to a deluxe twin, I didn't notice the smell of smoke, however this would not surprise me as this hotel is definitely a "Japanese business hotel".
I found the Grand Club very welcoming, excellent food and service.

I recommend a room on a higher floor with the view of the canal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.